Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Mary and Max $14.60 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dunkirk (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Blu-ray)
$10.00
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The LEGO Ninjago Movie (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Stand by Me (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Captain Phillips (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Atomic Blonde (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ken Brown

Conversation Between Ken Brown and Acer2010
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Acer2010
    05-29-2017 07:58 PM
    Acer2010
    Hey, Ken.

It's me, Acer2010. How are you? Are you having a good Memorial Day?

I wanted to ask you some questions regarding the 2008 Blu-ray release of the 1994 drama THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. If you've seen the Blu-ray, does it look like it has a lot of detail in the video quality? Also, do you agree with Casey Broadwater's review of the movie? In other words, the scores Casey gave the disc for its audio and video qualities?

If you could answer my questions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time and patience. Happy Memorial Day!
  2. Acer2010
    03-29-2010 08:42 PM
    Acer2010
    Thanks for answering my question about REDS. Do have THE AFRICAN QUEEN on Blu-ray? I looked at the screenshots from the movie on Blu-ray.com, and saw something that concerned me. If you look at the top of the screenshot (when you click on it), you'll see white dots on top of the picture in the movie, and a few on the black bars. Is THE AFRICAN QUEEN Blu-ray a faulty disc? I'm sorry to bother you, but I thought that this was something to be brought to your attention. Thank you for your time.
  3. Acer2010
    03-29-2010 08:01 PM
    Acer2010
    Hi. I'm not sure if you're there; I didn't hear from you yesterday. There was a message I left for you regarding the film REDS. Please contact me as soon as you can. Thank you.
  4. Ken Brown
    03-28-2010 10:59 PM
    Ken Brown
    The thing to keep in mind about 'Reds' is that it was released in 2006 when Blu-ray was in its infancy. It was only split onto 2 discs because Paramount was using BD-25s rather than BD-50 discs.

Still, each studio has an area on their website for submitting feedback. You won't always get a response, but that doesn't mean your suggestion has gone unread. If enough people express a similar concern, the possibility of it coming to fruition increases. As long as you voice a concern calmly and civilly, it will be heard, even if there isn't a response. Just keep in mind that they have to consider their profitability. Entire re-releases usually aren't a viable option, and sales dictate how much attention a particular title receives.

My suggestion? Express your concerns via their websites' online feedback forms, post a thread in our forums to see if you can get others to politely submit similar feedback, and rest easy knowing you did everything you could.
  5. Acer2010
    03-28-2010 10:14 PM
    Acer2010
    Thanks for letting me know that I could contact you anytime. I just found out that you had also reviewed the Blu-ray version of the 1981 film REDS, directed by and starring Warren Beatty. When Paramount Home Entertainment released REDS on DVD in 2006, the movie was split on 2 separate discs. I was okay with it at the time. I had read somewhere (probably last year) that a single Blu-ray disc can hold 9 hours of data. I looked up REDS again, and I was disappointed to learn that the Blu-ray version of REDS was exactly like the DVD: split on 2 separate discs. I once wrote a letter to Paramount Home Entertainment about the problem. I was hoping if they read my letter, maybe they'd consider releasing REDS on Blu-ray again, with the film on one disc. Unfortunately, they never replied back. How can film buffs get the company's (whether it's Paramount or Universal) attention regarding one of those company's films? Thanks for listening.
  6. Acer2010
    03-27-2010 09:26 PM
    Acer2010
    Thank you so much for answering my questions! There's one question about the three films I forgot to ask. When the theatrical editions of all three films were released on DVD, each film was on its own disc. The films were not split into two discs, and I'm not sure if you know this term, but it's called a "flipper". For example, the first time the film BEN-HUR was released on standard DVD, part one of the film was on one side of the disc, and part two was on the other side of the disc. What I would like to know now about all three LORD OF THE RINGS movies is this: is each film on their own disc (not split into two)? If you could let me know, I really would appreciate it. When GONE WITH THE WIND came to Blu-ray disc for the first time, I was excited to learn that the whole entire movie (running at 238 minutes) was one (and one only) Blu-ray disc. It was uncut and that's what made it so perfect. Thank you for listening.
  7. Acer2010
    03-26-2010 11:03 PM
    Acer2010
    Hi, I read your review on the Blu-ray version of THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. I respect your opinion about the video quality; however, I went to a site I've been going to for years called thedigitalbits.com, and one of the site's critics gave the trilogy a positive review. If you have time, check out the site's review of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. The review said something about the first film's (THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING) picture quality that possibly makes sense. I also have a question regarding all three movies. It's about the subtitles (in the scenes where some characters speak Elvish). What I would really like to know about the subtitles is if they are in the movie itself (not on the bottom black bar). If they're in the movie, do the subtitles look like they did in the theaters and previous DVD releases, or do they look like something you would see on a computer screen (like bit map or whatever its called)? If you could find out for me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.