View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #16

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy_2002 View Post
After thinking about for a bit I think I understand the problem a bit more. While same frequencies played in an array can cancel or reinforce (even double the magnitude) each other at certain angles, multiples of those frequencies can cancel or reinforce individual waves of its multiple. IE, a 100Hz signal could reduce or reinforce every other wave in a 200Hz signal. Thinking a bit more, this situation can happen not just on the array plane, but every plane not perpendicular to the array. That's it, I'm done. My head hurts.
as mentioned in the post, its more evident in the horizontal plane and less on a vertical one. cancellation normally occurred when you have both midranges operating at the same frequency, giving you a higher chance of cancellation instead of reinforcement of the said frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Magnum View Post
I thought that most of the newer horizontal center channel speakers have a crossover that allows one of the woofers to operate during lower frequencies, and the other to provide the midrange. This keeps the two main woofers from ever pushing the same frequencies at the same time, thus reducing lobing and cancellation.
With my DLP's tricky vertical viewing angles i don't think i'd ever be able to mount my tv high enough to allow a vertical floorstanding center channel to sit underneath.
with the newer horizontal center channels, most companies have 'addressed' this concern, and have developed means to avoid lobing issues found in center channels. are they accurate to a certain aspect? sure. but physics is physics - we have to learn to distinguish which is truly done to dissipate the said lobing issue. some companies have addressed it in a way where we have one of the midranges to work certain frequencies, while the other would do the opposite, avoiding them to use both and cancel each other out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpboy View Post
I think I only understood maybe 10% of what all that said.

Let me ask this: if a horizontal center speaker is so bad, why oh why do I see so many of them specifically built to be oriented horizontally? It seem so self-defeating in nature.
most of the center channel speakers were built back in the 90s in a more 'commercial aspect' instead of the technical course we are used to. they marketed these speakers to address a slowly growing trend back then, and have it in a convenient layout that can be placed both above or below the television/display unit. i wouldnt quickly call it self defeating in nature. there are only a few out there that would admit to purchase a vertical center vs a horizontally speaker. in essence ita aesthetics vs function.
System is very busy now.
Thank you for visiting KONAMI ID portal.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would like you to try to access again in later.