View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_King View Post
Currently, I have my Elemental Designs A2-300 subwoofer near the middle of the front wall about 6" or so away from the wall. Similarly on the rear wall, I have my DIY subwoofer squeezed between a dresser and my nightstand about 3" away from the wall. The DIY sub is not completely aligned with the sub near the front wall. After reading the quoted section above, I saw some experts suggest that having one subwoofer along a less reflective area (the middle of the front wall for me) and then another subwoofer elsewhere in a corner would be the best. I can move my DIY subwoofer the the back right corner of my room beneath the right back surround speaker. Would I be better off moving the DIY subwoofer to the corner or leaving it in its current spot, which is also an ideal spot?
Most experts believe the middle of the side walls or the middle of the front and rear walls are the best positions. However, rooms and the boundaries are different and your listening position also affects the performance of the subs. You can move the DIY sub to a corner and see what kind of results you will get. The corner is not exactly a less reflective area.

I have my two Hsu subwoofers in the middle of the side walls, the DIY subwoofer in the middle of the rear wall and the AA sub in the rear corner. I prefer to move it to the middle of the front wall, but there is absolutely no room. The results are very good and the bass is fairly even, but there is always the possibility of phase cancellations. Your next item on the agenda should be an equalizer like the Velodyne SMS-1.

Did I tell you that ED is building me a big box for my 15" DIY subwoofer?
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 09-09-2009 at 10:37 PM.