For those that don't know me, let me take a moment to tell you a little about myself.
My name is Paul (user ID: progers13), and I hail from Tampa, FL. I've been interested in HT for about 18 years since my folks came home with their first surround sound AVR (a Sony model) and 5-disc CD changer (also a Sony). It was a few years (3 to be exact) before I became of age and ventured out into the world on my own in April of 1995. Not long after that I bought my first surround sound receiver, also a Sony receiver. From that point on I was hooked.
I've added to that original purchase, and had countles upgrades over the years. While I don't have any of those original pieces any longer, they were each a step in the path of evolution to the point I'm at now. As a point of reference, I'll list a few of the highlights here:
- 08/1995 - Purchased Sony receiver
- 09/1996 - "Upgraded" HTiB front speakers from KLH brand (I know...WHO? ) to Bose 301 bookshelf speakers and moved the KLH speakers to surrounds
- 08/1998 - Puchased first DVD player (RCA)
- 09/1998 - "Upgraded" Bose bookshelf speakers to Technics tower speakers and moved the Bose speakers to surrounds
- 11/1998 - Purchased first subwoofer (Acoustic Research 12" downfiring, 112 watt RMS, 450 watt peak)
- 12/1998 - "Upgraded" Sony receiver to one that was capable of decoding digital over optical
- 01/2005 - Purchased my first HDTV (1080i 46" Samsung DLP)
- 12/2007 - Purchased my PS3 (entry into the world of blus - now I'm hooked )
- 09/2008 - "Upgraded" Bose 301 surround speakers to Sony SS-B1000 (as funny as this may seem, yes, it was a significant upgrade).
- 02/2009 - Closed on my first house
- 03/2009 - "Upgraded" the Samsung TV to 52" 1080p 120 hz Sony LCD
- 08/2009 - "Upgraded" the Sony digital receiver to one that could decode lossless over HDMI
- 10/2009 - "Upgraded" my old Acoustic Research sub to a gently used Elemental Designs A2-300 (12" downfiring, 200 watt RMS, ??? watt peak). Special thanks to Driver_King for opening my eyes and exposing me to eD and all the wonderful products they offer.
- 12/2009 - Ordered a second A2-300 subwoofer to compliment the first
- 01/2010 - "Upgraded" Technics tower speakers with Elemental Designs A6-6T6 towers and replaced Sony center speaker with custom-designed A6-6T6-MTM center speaker
- 03/2010 - Completed prep work in living room (painting, curtains, rearranging decor, etc) to accomodate addition of projector
- 04/2010 - Ordered, received, and installed Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector
- 04/2010 - Ordered, received, and installed Elite Screens 100" 16x9 manual projector screen (1.1 gain)
- 05/2010 - "Upgraded" to Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver (replacing Sony STR-DH800 receiver)
- 06/2010 - Purchased Oppo BDP-83 stand alone blu-ray player. The purpose behind this purchase was to keep the mileage down on my PS3, as well as for additional features such as subtitle shift, bitstreaming of HD audio, better upconversion, and subtitle shift feature
- 07/2010 - Purchased 2 theater seats for my home theater. Very comfortable and alllowed me to rearrange the room better for aesthetics and acoustics. It also gave me the ability to move one of my A2-300's from the front right to the back right of the room, which allows for adding an A/V rack and amps down the road...
- 09/2010 - Purchased Emotiva XPA-5 multichannel external amplifier (200 watts per channel @ 8 ohm; 300 watts per channel @ 4 ohm) This bad boy powers my center, side surrounds, and rear surrounds (updated 11/02/10).
- 09/2010 - Built my very own DIY A/V stand for holding the XPA-5 (with future growth potential). The stand is 23.5" wide x 31" tall (including feet) x 21" deep. There are 3 internal shelves that are each 22" W x 9" H x 20" D. I primed it and painted it satin black, and I left the back open for easy access.
- 11/2010 - Purchased Emotiva XPA-2 external amplifier (250 watts per channel @ 8 ohm; 500 watts per channel @ 4 ohm). This new beast provides ample amplification to my front left and right mains. (updated 11/02/10)
I'd like for this thread to represent this significant addition to my HT, and I will be documenting the process with pictures and information as much as I can.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I welcome any and all suggestions, pointers, advice, input, feedback, and general conversation (let's keep it PG-rated...I'm looking at YOU
), as well as yet another place for me and all of my friends to hang out! I know, I know, I can hear Fors now...like we all need another
place to hang out. Well, humor me buddy, will ya???
And lastly, thanks to erict for pushing me over the edge and finally starting this thread. I've toyed with the idea for months, but it took his persistence to finally get me to go it. This one's for you buddy!