thread: Onkyo HT-S3400
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2009
California
Default Onkyo HT-S3400

I'm kind of embarassed to admit it, but I have yet to invest in a surround sound system, mainly due to where I live. I've recently decided "screw it", and now I'm looking into getting one.

I've been shopping around and the Onkyo HT-S3400 seems a decent choice. It's going in a very small room, so I'm not looking for anything to bring down the walls. It's also in my price range.

Sadly, I have little to no experience with surround sound systems, especially dealing with Blu-ray and high def audio.

A couple noob questions:

1.) I own a Sony BDP-S350. I'm aware it doesn't decode DTS-MA internally, but will I get the same sound quality in the receiver (which has the decoder) if I bitstreamed it, or should I look into getting a new player to get the most out of the audio?

2.) I've looked at pictures and read through the manual, but I can't figure out how I would connect a device using component cables for both video and audio. I see the two connections for the component video, but where do you put the audio, if anywhere. My cable box as well as my Wii use component cables. How would I go about using them with the receiver?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
"If you don't like something, don't watch it again. Why whinge about it on a forum to a load o' divs? Don't worry about it." - Karl Pilkington

Current Setups:
- Epson 8350, 145" display on wall with Behr Silver Screen, Onkyo HT-S3400 HTiB, Samsung BD player
- Vizio 65" M-Series w/ 3D, Vizio 5.1 soundbar, Sony PS3 Slim, PS4, Wii U, XBox360

Last edited by ozzsoad; 05-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.