thread: Onkyo HT-S3400
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #4

Oct 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzsoad View Post

I'm kind of embarassed to admit it, but I have yet to invest in a surround sound system, mainly due to where I live. I've recently decided "screw it", and now I'm looking into getting one.

I've been shopping around and the Onkyo HT-S3400 seems a decent choice. It's going in a very small room, so I'm not looking for anything to bring down the walls. It's also in my price range.

Sadly, I have little to no experience with surround sound systems, especially dealing with Blu-ray and high def audio.

A couple noob questions:

1.) I own a Sony BDP-S350. I'm aware it doesn't decode DTS-MA internally, but will I get the same sound quality in the receiver (which has the decoder) if I bitstreamed it, or should I look into getting a new player to get the most out of the audio?

2.) I've looked at pictures and read through the manual, but I can't figure out how I would connect a device using component cables for both video and audio. I see the two connections for the component video, but where do you put the audio, if anywhere. My cable box as well as my Wii use component cables. How would I go about using them with the receiver?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Your blu-ray player (http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-play...-32868775.html ) can bitstream the HD audio formats, and the Onkyo s3400 can decode it. Use an hdmi cable from the blu-ray player to the Onkyo, then use another hdmi cable from your Onkyo to your hdtv. On your blu-ray player go to audio settings and make sure to set it to bitstream. On your Onkyo it will then tell you whether the blu-ray you're playing is Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD.

I'm looking to purchase my first HD home theater system, and I've considered this Onkyo, but I think I'm going to spend an extra $100 for the Onkyo s5400 which is a 7.1 system and it has a bigger subwoofer (10' vs the 8" in the s3400, plus it's powered whereas the s3400 subwoofer gets its power from the receiver which means that if you want to upgrade your subwoofer you'd need a new receiver).

However your room is small so I'm sure the s3400 will be powerful enough for your room. Let us know how it goes.