View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Yeah, I've been trying to catch as many foreign animated films as I can for the last few years, but they're pretty hard to come across, so its great that GKIDS seems to be picking up more and more releases in the last couple of years. Hopefully they backtrack a bit and help bring some older ones to BD.

Also, many films that got DVD releases in the US and have received BD releases in other territories seem to be failing to get BD treatment, and I'm starting to wonder if they're ever going to happen... Triplets of Belleville, Kirikou and the Sorceress, and such are fairly big films that warrant BD releases.

As for foreign animation being "weird" at times, I can appreciate different styles, so I like it. In terms of them not being on par with American productions, I don't really see it at all with hand-drawn animated films, but it definitely is the case for CG animated films, which makes me less inclined to be interested in them. For example, that Snow Queen movie that you posted about.... I have only seen some promotional material and screens, but somehow it doesn't interest me much. I should probably at least check out a trailer though. On the other hand, the 2011 French CGI film, A Monster in Paris looks quite good. It's coming to BD next month, so I'll probably check it out once it hits $15 or so.

I've been meaning to see this... It's been on my wishlist for a while. I have only heard good things about it. Gotta check it out soon!
I was really really surprised by A Monster in Paris - highly entertaining.

Tales of the Night was shown theatrically in 3D, - why? the whole point and visual structure is that's supposed to look flat and two dimensional.