View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #35826
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Fury Road

I've had the evening off and spent it with music as opposed to movies or television, so I'm going to leave an... atypical short film review. Here are my thoughts on a music video series by Kygo themed around death and grieving. Hope you enjoy

All three comments have spoilers, so watch the videos first if interested!

It Ain't Me - Kygo & Selena Gomez
[Show spoiler]Written and Directed by Phillip R. Lopez
Executive Produced by Maximilian Guen
Cinematography by Todd Martin
Video commissioned by Toby Andrews

This video is a bit eccentric and dark, and touches on persistence and not giving up. After a motorcycle crash, we see a woman get up relatively unscathed while her boyfriend is severely injured. She supports him through his recovery, stays by his side, and gives him the strength to pull through to the "light."
[Show spoiler]At the end, the man wakes up and sees that she was never there. He realizes that she died in the crash and it was the spirit of her that kept him going the whole time. She is the butterfly at the end (notice her winged and lepidopterous dress in his dream). I initially found it a little odd she would dance around his bed, before I learned it was the energy she left him with, or her ghost/spirit there with him keeping him alive and awake. This one is much more valuable the second time through after knowing the twist.

First Time - Kygo & Ellie Goulding

[Show spoiler]Production Company: Mirada
Directed by: Mathew Cullen
Written by: Cornelia Funke and Mathew Cullen
Executive Producer: Javier Jimenez
Producer: David Hebenstreit
Cinematographer: Stefan von Borbely
Production Designer: Michael Whetstone

This is a tough one to interpret, but I believe it is about
[Show spoiler]how the toxicity of depression and PTSD can overcome someone's life. As a child, a boy finds out that the girl he grew up with is dying, then discovers that anytime he feels sad or angry, he catches on fire and begins turning to stone. After her death he begins having nightmares that he is being burned alive (PTSD). It is only as an adult (played by Kygo) when he begins to finally express himself (playing piano) that he begins to be freed of the petrification of his depression. In the end it turns out the woman in black (Ellie Goulding) was the spirit of the girl...
Overall probably the most open to interpretation of the three videos, and certainly thought-provoking.

Stargazing - Kygo (feat. Justin Jesso)
[Show spoiler]Written and Directed by Phillip R. Lopez
Cinematography by Todd Martin
Executive Produced by Maximilian Guen
Produced by Ryan Hawkins
Co-Produced: Samuel Caron and Pierre-Philippe Côté Video commissioned by Toby Andrews
Color: Mikey Rossiter at The Mill.
VFX: Oblique, Montreal.

This third installment is made by the same team as the first video, which might be why I find I like them both better and for similar reasons- because they are more straightforward yet still open to interpretation and rewarding.

"You can always find me in the stars.”

Love, Dad

We see a boy who is really into space, as he’s seen playing with his toy space shuttle at the very beginning.
[Show spoiler]When his father dies suddenly from a heart attack, the boy becomes determined to find him again "in the stars," so he follows his dreams of going into space. With the help of a teacher, librarian, and old neighbor, he begins to build his rocket. Before supplying him with a piece for his ship, the old man makes a motion with a wrench near his head, telling the boy he needs to grieve and "repair" his mind. But every time his mom tries to talk to him, she finds his barriers up and he won’t let her inside his head (“Keep Out”). It is here when we see the man reassure the mother that the part he gave to the boy was only for pretend (he tells her not to worry as he points to a toy).

As the boy completes his project, the mother discovers it, and becomes overwhelmed with emotion. She is finally let into his mind, so she does the best thing she can to show him she is there for him… She creates flyers for the whole town to come see and support her son as he “launches” the rocket—and to everyone’s surprise, it actually flies! The rocket blasts off, and the video takes an unexpected turn into fantasy and inspiration, as the boy is met with elation and wonder. It symbolizes that the boy has reached closure and has finally found peace in his grieving process. He finds his father in the stars and finally feels his dad’s presence and strength with him again.

The video ends with the mother alone at the altar, where the boy was previously with her. Was the rocket a metaphor for his suicide? Did he truly join his dad among the stars? It don't believe we're left with a clear answer. But there is what appears to be the boy standing at the very edge of the altar at the end of the video. Or is it?
2017:
mother! | The Work | The Shape of Water | Lady Bird | The Killing of a Sacred Deer | Call Me By Your Name | Logan | Loveless | Blade Runner 2049 | Coco
All-Time
:
Amour | The Fountain | Modern Times | Princess Mononoke | Hiroshima Mon Amour | The Lion King | City Lights | Ghost in the Shell | The Artist | Alien | Babel | Persona | The Wrestler | Blood Diamond | Mulholland Drive | Amelie | Bicycle Thieves | Blue Valentine | Paprika | The Raid