View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
As noted above, I just returned a 55" Panny plasma for a 55" Panny LED (edge lit) due to buzzing and IR issues on the former.

The LED is definitely brighter and colors do pop more. The plasma was a bit dimmer and softer, more film like. While the LED looks more life like. And that's with an edge-lit set, a full array one would be even brighter and pop even more.

That's really just a matter of what you prefer. People who watch a ton of movies often prefer the film-like look of plasmas. Some who watch mostly TV, sports, play games etc. prefer the brighter more life-like look of LED/LCD. While some hate it and call it a "soap opera effect." So there's not a right or wrong answer. Just comes down to what you prefer on that front.

But overall, you shouldn't be struggling on your decision. You've said you game a lot and worry about IR, and you like a brighter set.

Go LED and stay away from plasma. IR will be an issue if you are gaming for hours on end--at least with Panasonic. Apparently the Samsung plasmas are more resistant to IR--but tend to buzz louder than the Panny's. And you won't get a plasma that's as bright as a decent LED as that's just the nature of the technology.

I'm super pleased that I decided to ditch the plasma as I like the brighter picture and there was no way I could live with the buzzing and IR (watch a ton of ESPN and play a lot of games) on the plasma.

So go LED and start struggling over which one to get rather than what type of TV to get.
Question, do you watch your movies with the auto motion feature turned on? I hear that most LED's now have a "low" setting that can minimize the soap opera effect. How is the motion on your LED with the auto motion turned off?
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."