View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #71
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
RE: Pirates, I wonder if people are confusing it with the VeggieTales Pirate movie...
No, it was that Pirates was...not really that good. Especially by Aardman standards, which was a bit of a shock.
(The humor was way too scattershot, clever-clever and schoolyard-spirited, and not the engaging Britcom bit of Flushed Away some of us Aardman fans had been hoping it would be from the previews.)

It was arguably funnier than Hotel Transylvania--in the respect that anything is funnier than Sandler--but HT had the bigger studio push, and seasonal box office draw to amaze clueless West coast folk easily awed by such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Eric, the Oscars are heavily influenced by publicist campaigns, Harvey Weinstein is a master at this. Sucks, but true.
Yes, but my point was, this is an award BY publicists, FOR publicists, ABOUT publicists--And I don't mean that abstractly or metaphorically, I mean that literally. The Oscars are, to their credit, not even By, since they have actors and cameramen voting on them.
There's Oscar FYC campaigns--which Harv hangs his very soul and existence on every year--and then there's just being a danged gullible zombie that believes every single "buzz" rumor sent to Entertainment Tonight, and then taking them as established fact: The Oscars are occasional victims to the former, and the Globes are painfully the latter.

Which is why I keep describing the Globes as "Collected Rumors Annual 2012 lists", and not actual nominations--A Weinstein publicist can say "My Week with Marilyn is a surefire Best Actress!", and the Oscars will say "We'll think about it..." With the Globes, however, you can, for example, say "Moonrise Kingdom is a surefire Best Picture!", and guess what will happen.
(That's one of the reasons I've hated the last few years' eight-ten Oscar nominations, with gullible easily-impressed fan-rumor "filler" titles like Inglorious Basterds or District 9 making the cut: They look exactly like Globe nominations, which was the idea the Oscars had in mind at the time. They're publicly starting to regret it.)

Last edited by EricJ; 12-15-2012 at 01:26 AM.