Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #1

Jan 2009
Default Playstation 3 - 3D Discussion

Forum Moderator Notes:
Here is a thread dedicated to the discussion of the Playstation 3 in 3D, be it movies, games, technical specs, how it works, software updates, and much, much more!

Original post:
I have been reading on the internet the past few days that 3D can only be attained with 1080p through HDMI 1.4 and only 1080i with HDMI 1.3. If the output HDMI on the PS3 is 1.3, how could we get a 3D 1080p picture from the PS3. Unless I am mistaking and the actual port does not make a difference...Just wondering as I plan on what needs to be upgraded. Thanks...

Last edited by that1guystudios; 08-06-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA
Default Sony PS3 to get 3D update in September

Source: Blu-ray.com
posted by Grubert
Quote:
As previously reported, the PlayStation 3 is receiving 3D support in several stages: game support came first, thanks to firmware version 3.30 (released in April), while 3D Blu-ray movie playback was scheduled later in the year. Now a more specific timeframe has been revealed: this update will be ready in September.

Yet another future firmware update will enable 3D photo compatibility, to display the pictures taken with the two new Sony Cyber-shot cameras that take panoramic 3D pictures.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluflu View Post
I imagine the PS3 will use some variation of the HDMI 1.3 3D Checkerboard format described below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,2636-5.html
The Sony PS3 will be 1.4 HDMI compliant for 3D. It already has adopted that for games. Also the game firmware update does not support checkerboard, and according to Penton Man who checked with Sony the Blu-ray update will not support checkerboard. I hope they change their mind!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
lennysmithh

i really liked all play station 3 games currently i am playing tekken 6 it s really great
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al

I have all of my components going into my Onkyo 3D Rcvr via HDMI, then out into my Mits 3D adapter, out of adapter into the TV. I use the Standalone Sony Blu ray player for 3D movies and the PS3 for 3D games. Everything works great. I don't mind a little lossy for games.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
neverland

I'm planning to buy a couple of the PS3 3D rechargeable glasses which cost $20 less than the Sony rechargeable 3D glasses. Do these 3D glasses work as well for 3D movie viewing or are they mainly for the 3D games? Thanks.
"Stay gold."
Old 11-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2012
Los Angeles

Those are the glasses I use when watching movies, work great. My TV is a sony too though, they're supposed to work with other manufacturer tvs but I've never tried it out.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
neverland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalChin View Post
Those are the glasses I use when watching movies, work great. My TV is a sony too though, they're supposed to work with other manufacturer tvs but I've never tried it out.
I have a Sony TV too. Was going to get the Sony rechargeable 3D glasses from Best Buy for $49.99 and saw the PS3 3D glasses for $29.99, so wanted to know if if there was a difference in quality using these glasses for 3D gaming vs. 3D movie viewing. I'll buy them this weekend. Thanks!
"Stay gold."
Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

This is not much of an answer but I assume it will handle 3D content in the same way all other 3D players will (including bitrate).
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #10

Feb 2010

It's good to see that my PS3 will support 3D Blu-ray soon. So, what else I should buy? The 3D Blu-ray title, 3D TV, and 3D Glasses? It would make sense that the Sony PS3 should support Sony 3D TV, but if I am not buying the Sony 3D TV, whether it would have compatibility issue?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #11

Jul 2010
St. louis MO
Cool

The ps3 is going to work with all 3d (steroscopic) displays ... I own the sammy c7000 and when they did the 3d game update a few months back after I installed the firmware u had to awnser questions like do u own a 3d display, what screen size it was clearly a marketing research ploy .... they even had all the major brands In pull down menus for easy selection....

Sony would really cut themselfs short if the ps3 only sent 3d to sony tvs.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #12

Sep 2010
United Kingdom Fool PS3 into outputting 3D

I can not get my PS3 to enter the 3D setup because it won't belive that it's connected to a 3D screen.
My sky box is great as it doesn't care about checking and is happy to output a side by side picture anytime.
The problem is that my screens are both lg 47ld920's, supplied by sky for my pub. I want to add Blu Ray & PS3 but my screens are not loaded with a 1.4 hdmi port & so the software is not loaded to be 3D compatible & does not give the correct responce so I can only do 2D.
This is stupid really because if the player put out a 3d image I could select the compatible version on the tv & everything would be great.
Does anyone know if I could fool the player & / or PS3 if I added one of the new 1.4 a/v amps? (Onkyo TX-SR608)
Any other ideas or guesses welcome.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy uk View Post
I can not get my PS3 to enter the 3D setup because it won't belive that it's connected to a 3D screen.
My sky box is great as it doesn't care about checking and is happy to output a side by side picture anytime.
The problem is that my screens are both lg 47ld920's, supplied by sky for my pub. I want to add Blu Ray & PS3 but my screens are not loaded with a 1.4 hdmi port & so the software is not loaded to be 3D compatible & does not give the correct responce so I can only do 2D.
This is stupid really because if the player put out a 3d image I could select the compatible version on the tv & everything would be great.
Does anyone know if I could fool the player & / or PS3 if I added one of the new 1.4 a/v amps? (Onkyo TX-SR608)
Any other ideas or guesses welcome.
Are you trying to watch a movie or play video games?There's a few games in 3D. The movie update will be sometime in october.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #14

Jan 2007
Default interesting...

hi,

I just bought a new Sammy 3D LED and was looking into 3D contents, and have read up on few posts from various hi-def forums and PS3 forum on it. I came across this post on the official US PS3 forum:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...3/m-p/45086549

but there are many none-believers that PS3 will able to handle it, do you guys really think a software emulation is all it needs for PS3 instead of a hardware upgrade?

HDTV : Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR2
BLu-Ray player : PS3 60GB
PS3 games : 28
BLu-Ray movies : 35
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybudda View Post
hi,

I just bought a new Sammy 3D LED and was looking into 3D contents, and have read up on few posts from various hi-def forums and PS3 forum on it. I came across this post on the official US PS3 forum:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...3/m-p/45086549

but there are many none-believers that PS3 will able to handle it, do you guys really think a software emulation is all it needs for PS3 instead of a hardware upgrade?
Yes see the reasons stated above. The PS3 has the hardware needed to do full 1080p 3D.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jul 2010
Default Anyone Know The Date For PS3 3D Movie Update?

I kinda forgot about it since I have a Samsung 3D BD player but then I remembered it's supposed to be sometime this month.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
I kinda forgot about it since I have a Samsung 3D BD player but then I remembered it's supposed to be sometime this month.
It is suppose to be sometime next month.
St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams fan.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #18

Sep 2010

FWIW: I have Monsters vs Aliens, Coraline and Ice Age 3 all in 3D .VOB files saved on my PS3 (1st gen) HDD and they play in real 3d on my Mitsu with the emitter/glasses. In fact, just about any media player that plays MKV or VOB files can run 3D movies as long as your files are side by side. Then you just tell your 3D box (or TV) to run in side by side mode.

I couldn't believe that my 3D game playing PS3 would NOT play my 3D blurays. And now to find out that I don't even need the actual BluRays
Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

Recent word confirms that the Playstation 3 will not be able to handle both 1080p 3D playback and BD-Java at the same time. Something had to give. The Playstation 3s arcitecture has allowed to be upgraded to support picture in picture and 1080p 3D video, both features not avalible at launch. Unfortunitly and likely due to the limits of HDMI 1.3 it can't handle both at the same time. Which means you will have to turn the 3D off in order to access picture in picture supplements or other BD-J interactive features.

This is a relatively small limitation but worth noting none the less
3D: Cause two eyes are better then one
Deleting posts is like burning books

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 09-14-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #20
Special Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
Coraline's 3D menus are now rendered flat on my PS3 slim. Monsters Vs Aliens menus are still in 3D. Strange. Clash of the titans (German import) still has 3D main menu and pop up menu.
All have lossy sound. (Monsters was always lossy though.) Cloudy and Monster house always had flat menus, but now they have lossy audio. I am using full HDMI 1.4 cables just in case anyone wants to know. So it appears for the time being 3D on the PS3 is awesome. The only sacrifice is flattening of 3D menus specifically created using BD-J runtime, and lossy audio only. Maybe in the future they can add HD audio decoding for the Slim models. Ps3 fan seems louder than usual. Maybe the 3D is stretching the processor a little. Personally, I think the update is awesome. The film displays in full 1080p to each eye on a system designed 4 years ago! Thank you Somy! If the lossy audio or 3d menu flattening is a dealbreaker, the Sony 470 can readily be found from $150-175.
Thanks for the update. What happens if you switch the PS3 to 720P?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Tags
3d blu ray, dts-hd, ps3