Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
11 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN
Default L.J Smith's The Secret Circle in development at CW

Will Air Thursdays at 9PM

Quote:
Cassie Blake was a happy, normal teenage girl – until her mother Amelia dies in what appears to be a tragic accidental fire. Orphaned and deeply saddened, Cassie moves in with her warm and loving grandmother Jane in the beautiful small town of Chance Harbor, Washington – the town her mother left so many years before – where the residents seem to know more about Cassie than she does about herself. As Cassie gets to know her high school classmates, including sweet-natured Diana and her handsome boyfriend Adam, brooding loner Nick, mean-girl Faye and her sidekick Melissa, strange and frightening things begin to happen. When her new friends explain that they are all descended from powerful witches, and they’ve been waiting for Cassie to join them and complete a new generation of the Secret Circle, Cassie refuses to believe them – until Adam shows her how to unlock her incredible magical powers. But it’s not until Cassie discovers a message from her mother in an old leather-bound book of spells hidden in her mother’s childhood bedroom, that she understands her true and dangerous destiny. What Cassie and the others don’t yet know is that darker powers are at play, powers that might be linked to the adults in the town, including Diana’s father and Faye’s mother – and that Cassie’s mother’s death might not have been an accident. The series stars Britt Robertson as Cassie Blake, Thomas Dekker as Adam Conant, Gale Harold as Charles Meade, Phoebe Tonkin as Fay Chamberlain, Jessica Parker Kennedy as Melissa, Shelley Hennig as Diana Meade, Louis Hunter as Nick, Ashley Crow as Jane Blake and Natasha Henstridge as Dawn Chamberlain. Based upon the book series by L.J. Smith (author of “The Vampire Diaries” book series), THE SECRET CIRCLE is from Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Scream,” “Dawson’s Creek”), Andrew Miller (“Imaginary *****es”), Leslie Morgenstein (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Gossip Girl”) and Gina Girolamo. Elizabeth Craft (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Lie To Me”) & Sarah Fain (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Lie To Me”) were executive producers on the pilot which was directed by Liz Friedlander (“The Vampire Diaries,” “90210”).

Last edited by detective392; 05-19-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

As long as the chicks in it are hot I'll give it a chance, I love LJ Smith.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington
Talking Secret Circle

Quote:
The CW has picked up its sixth and final pilot this season, the witch tale Secret Circle executive produced by Vampire Diaries co-creator/exec producer Kevin Williamson.

Williamson recently joined the project, based on a three-book series from The Vampire Diaries author L.J. Smith. He worked on the original script penned by Andrew Miller, with the two sharing writer credit. Produced by Alloy Entertainment, WBTV and CBS TV Studios, the companies behind Diaries, Secret Circle tells the story of a young woman who moves to a new town and discovers that not only is she a witch and part of a secret coven, but she’s also the key that will unlock a centuries-old battle of good versus evil.

Miller and Williamson are executive producing Secret Circle with Elizabeth Craft, Sarah Fain and Alloys' Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo. Vampire Diaries co-creator/exec producer Julie Plec is not currently attached to the project but could come on board in the future.

Secret Circle joins the 5 pilots previously picked up by the CW: Danni Lowinski, Awakening, Hart of Dixie, Heavenly and Cooper and Stone. The network's choices include 2 genre shows, Secret Circle and zombie drama Awakening, one medical drama, Hart of Dixie, one cop show, Cooper and Stone, and one legal drama with supernatural elements, Heavenly.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Michigan

This will be a good companion to TVD next season on Thursday.
"Swear to me. Swear to me that everything you said was true!"

Top 3(No Order):
1. The Last of Us
2. Persona 3 FES
3. Resident Evil: Remake
Old 02-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Already beat you to it Wylde for once . Happy it was picked up and will make a great companion to VD on Thursday's if that's what they decide to do if they move Nikita to Friday's if it get's renewed.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/television/...opment-cw.html
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
Already beat you to it Wylde for once . Happy it was picked up and will make a great companion to VD on Thursday's if that's what they decide to do if they move Nikita to Friday's if it get's renewed.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/television/...opment-cw.html
Oh woah, I'm usually very good about making sure no threads exist based on memory, but I guess this one slipped right on by. Thanks for the merge Gamma.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Michigan

NP!

5 bucks says this gets the Thursday at 9 spot next season!

Top 3(No Order):
1. The Last of Us
2. Persona 3 FES
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Michigan

merged

Top 3(No Order):
1. The Last of Us
2. Persona 3 FES
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Looks like Brittany Robertson from Life Unexpected has been cast as the lead role of Cassie. Really liked her on Life Unexpected and can't wait to see her on this.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23514
Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Looks like Brittany Robertson from Life Unexpected has been cast as the lead role of Cassie. Really liked her on Life Unexpected and can't wait to see her on this.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23514
Oh hell yeah she's a little hottie. I tried watching LUX for her but it was horrible, though her and Ksenia Solo made it worth watching on mute. I didn't have any idea though she's a star of Scream 4. I haven't heard anything about her involvement prior.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
Oh hell yeah she's a little hottie. I tried watching LUX for her but it was horrible, though her and Ksenia Solo made it worth watching on mute. I didn't have any idea though she's a star of Scream 4. I haven't heard anything about her involvement prior.
She's not really a star of Scream 4 but one of the hot girls they kill off without really getting to know them. I'm also happy she's in this as I will tune in for sure and hate how Lux got canned as it was the only way to see her on a weekly basis.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
She's not really a star of Scream 4 but one of the hot girls they kill off without really getting to know them. I'm also happy she's in this as I will tune in for sure and hate how Lux got canned as it was the only way to see her on a weekly basis.
Well here's to hoping that this show is much better! If they pair this with Vampire Diaries, that is one serious eye candy night.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Well here's to hoping that this show is much better! If they pair this with Vampire Diaries, that is one serious eye candy night.
Yeah I'm really hoping they pair this with Vampire Diaries as that will make one kick ass night of TV and like you said a damn good 2 hours of eye candy.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Thomas Dekker Leads the 'Secret Circle'
Quote:
Former Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles star Thomas Dekker has been cast as the male lead in Kevin Williamson's drama pilot for the CW The Secret Circle. Written by Andrew Miller and Williamson and based on the book series from L.J. Smith, Secret Circle tells the story of a young woman (Britt Robertson) who moves to a new town and discovers that not only is she a witch and part of a secret coven, but she’s also the key that will unlock a centuries-old battle of good versus evil. Dekker, repped by WME, the Schiff Co. and attorney Harris Hartman, will play a member of the witches' circle. He will next be seen opposite Diane Lane, Tim Robbins and James Gandolfini in the HBO film Cinema Verite, which chronicles the controversial 1970s PBS documentary series An American Family.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Michigan

My show would kick this shows ass.

I have a seven season arc for a witch show going on in my head. I'll pitch it in a few years.

Top 3(No Order):
1. The Last of Us
2. Persona 3 FES
Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Phoebe Tonkin has joined the cast as Faye.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23827

Last edited by detective392; 03-16-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Phoebe Tonkin has joined the cast as Faye.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23827
No idea who the broad is, but some very striking features.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
No idea who the broad is, but some very striking features.
Yeah never heard of her before but it seems she's popular in Australia.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Yeah never heard of her before but it seems she's popular in Australia.
I think CW can officially be called the Pretty People Network. I don't believe there are any unattractive people on the entire network.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #20
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
SECRET CIRCLE
Network: CW
Written By: Andrew Miller
Draft Date: February 3, 2011
Pages: 54

Two years ago, I reviewed a little show called The Vampire Diaries. In that review, I called it, among other things, boilerplate and Twi-light.

I completely stand behind those opinions of the pilot episode of The Vampire Diaries.

But something happened to that show that started after episode 3 or 4... it got damn good. It shed any Twilight trappings, built a still-deepening and engrossing mythology, and the supporting cast came into their own and really started standing out (I mean, who isn't in love with Caroline and Matt? And Caroline just in general). It is currently my favorite network TV drama (yeah, that's right, The Good Wife).

So, keep that in mind as I complain about this draft of Secret Circle, the new CW pilot based on another LJ Smith book series (and another series that I have not read, so I have no preconceived notions). I'm actually not sure if this "Andrew Miller draft" has been touched by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec, who only boarded the project recently.

I want to like this because, like The Vampire Diaries, it has a lot of the things I love in a TV show. Teen romance (shut up, I'm a product of the 90s), supernatural forces, tragic pasts, and a core of real human emotion.

Secret Circle has all those elements. I just don't think that it's doing everything it can do with them. Yet. Thanks to what TVD became, I'm willing to give this series a LOT of room to grow on me.

But there is a nagging feeling I have that says this show can't be what TVD became.

Not because magic and witches and covens aren't as "sexy" as vampires. Not because TVD already features a witch. The magic works on a similar principle in Secret Circle as Bonnie's in TVD... minus some of the limitations. I think that's part of what's different. It's so important in shows with supernatural elements to make sure the audience knows "the rules." Y'know, like "Vampires can't walk in the sun without magic rings" or "Into every generation a Chosen One is born with the strength and skill to fight the Vampires. She is the Slayer."

Every series is allowed its own set of rules, and you either buy into them or you don't. The pilot is the opportunity to explain those rules (ideally in a way that doesn't just feel like exposition).

Secret Circle hasn't really explained the rules yet. It has given vague hints.

The other problem? Basically everyone in the script seems to have "powers." There aren't a terribly high number of "normal" people. How much drama has TVD gotten out of bringing character after character into the supernatural fold? And even there... many of the characters are "aware" of the supernatural, but are, themselves, normal and human and powerless (something that True Blood almost got rid of entirely in its third season, where I think Jason and Andy are the only two human people left in Bon Temps... yes, it's hyperbole, whatever).

There's also a minor romantic triangle between three of the kids in the coven, but it's very under the surface.

Okay. Secret Circle. Here's the plot (minus one major event that I'm choosing to not spoil).

CAUTION!

VERY!

VERY!

SPOILERY!

SERIOUSLY!

[Show spoiler]Cassie Blake lives in Florida and is driving home when she suddenly gets a flat. Which is a good thing because, back home, there is an eerily beautiful shadowy man causing magical fire explosions (standing outside and using matches to light giant fire plumes inside) in her house and killing her mother, Amelia, in the process.

A month later, Cassie arrives at her grandmother's house in New Salem, Maine and is to start school the next day. Not sure what took her so long or, since her house burned down, where she got all "her belongings" but whatever, that's entirely besides the point. Cassie finds a pendant of her mother's and puts it on (given how important "magical artifacts" became to TVD, one must suspect that this pendant has more than just emotional significance).

Cassie goes to school, meets the Vice Principal (who was one of her mother's close friends, though we are pointedly told several times that Amelia never talked about her life in New Salem... and even claimed to not know who Cassie's father is), then is given a quick, terse guide through the school by Sally Waltman, who turns out to be the only "normal" teenager in the entire town (okay, no, just in the script). "The cliques are pretty standard," we're told.

Weird stuff keeps happening, like Cassie being unable to open her locker until Faye (the Vice Principal's daughter) and Melissa, the school's popular *****es, arrive. Like magic! Cassie also meets Diana in a class. Diana is described as smart and sexy (as usual, half the characters are described as sexy, so you know it's a CW script... because otherwise they might let an unsexy person slip through the casting process?) Diana lives two doors down and says she's been excited about meeting Cassie. And a bunch of other things that are REALLY WEIRD AND UNNATURAL AND CLUNKY DIALOG OH GOD, PLEASE SOMEONE POINT IT OUT HOW WEIRD THIS STUFF ALL IS!

Anyway, Diana invites Cassie to the Mystic Bar & Grill Marina's Boathouse Bar & Grill to meet people that night. Cassie is apparently a girl of quick temperament changes because I swear to god, she's put at ease and made uneasy about five times in two pages. She leaves, but her car won't start and then it catches fire and the doors won't unlock. Faye is testing her, seeing if Cassie has powers. She either doesn't or doesn't know how to use them, as Adam, Diana's boyfriend, has to save Cassie from the car. The fire mysteriously dies. Cassie, rattled, gets driven home and hums herself to sleep with a song her mother taught her... which just so happens to be MAGIC and points the way to a secret compartment in her mother's old room where a book of magic spells is kept. Yay!

Cassie attempts to boil water in a pot using magic and fails. She shrugs it off with a laugh until she sees that she accidentally boiled the water in a glass in the sink. She goes to the Boathouse to pick up her car, but she's told Jane has already had it towed. She meets Ethan, Adam's dad, who is drunk and cryptic and SAYS THAT HE AND CASSIE'S MOM WERE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER. Oh, and he says that Cassie and Adam are meant to be together, too (thus providing the beginnings of a potential love triangle that isn't really a key factor here). Ah, twisted adult relationships that reflect on / are repeated by their children (Rufus/Lily and Dan/Serena, anyone?) Adam is there and he takes Cassie to the woods and teaches her how to float dew water and then hundreds of droplets rise in the air and it's pretty and crystal-like and kind of reminiscent of Edward revealing himself to be a sparkly vampire in the meadow in Twilight.

Anyway, Adam takes Cassie to the secret coven cabin in the woods and she sees Diana, Faye, and Melissa and meets the other two dudes in the coven, Doug (football jock) and Nick (drug dealer, lives in the house next door to Cassie, their rooms look at each other so Cassie has seen him shirtless, oh, and he and Faye are an item but their sex life is only a 6 or a 7 - her score and his, respectively).

There are rules for the coven. Diana's rules, as she's apparently the strongest. She's also the only other one to have found her family's Book of Shadows (what they call the book Cassie found). They practice together. They don't use their powers for evil, or steal or cheat or hurt others... but those moral lines are slightly murky as they've used magic to help Doug realize his full potential as an athlete and helped Melissa get a B in Chemistry after failing the subject by "opening her mind up to it so she could understand it." They need to keep their power a secret, of course.

Per my (way) above complaint... those are self-imposed rules about the moral use of power. They aren't rules about the limits of power (i.e. Bonnie's nosebleeds when she uses too much magic or, say, her Grams DYING from over-channeling).

Cassie learns the history. There are seven of them; there were seven families who fled Salem (as in witch trials) and founded New Salem. These seven kids are the descendants. And they're all witches! And Cassie makes the circle complete! Yay!

Only Cassie wants no part. She's established herself as a loner, and she's sticking to that. We also see a bit of a power struggle between Diana and Faye. Faye says she's been practicing on her own (breaking Diana's rules) and she gets out of control making it rain later that night at the annual town Lobster Festival. Then she loses control and Diana almost drowns because of it, but is saved. Beyond this, the festival is surprisingly uneventful other than a run-in with "normal" Sally and Cassie meeting Thomas, Diana's father... who the audience will recognize as the guy who killed Amelia, Cassie's mom. Also, Jane talks with Dawn (the vice principal), worried that the kids are together and practicing magic (just like Dawn and Amelia and that entire generation of seven). Dawn denies it, strongly, as it would be absurd! She'd know! The lady doth protest too much (way too much, because she's either an Ignorant Adult or a Manipulative Villain) and it turns out she does know, and she's in cahoots with Thomas, and they need Cassie to do something that's left incredibly vague by the end of the pilot.

And then Cassie, putting her Book of Shadows back in its hiding place, finds a message from beyond the grave from her mother. Which tells her to not go through things alone, and apologizes for not preparing her for what's to come. And so she joins the other six in a magic bonfire circle.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows