Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
BTOOOM!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Persona 4 the Animation: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Little Busters!: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Campione!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Patlabor The Mobile Police : Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Milambian Milambian is offline
Active Member
 
Milambian's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
235
Question Onkyo TX-NR709, thoughts? comments?

Hi all

I have been using an Onkyo TX-DS696 for about ten years now! It has taken everything I have thrown at it, has run very cool, survived 4 moves in a moving van, and never skipped a beat. Until yesterday, when it suddenly powered off, and wouldn't come back on until I unplugged it for a minute, at which point it also lost all its settings. While it seems to be running smoothly again, it got me thinking that maybe it's time for an upgrade!

Looking at the features of the 709, it seems to have everything I could want, most importantly being the Audyssey MultEQ XT.

So, long story short, does anyone have any experience with the 709? Does it seem to run hot, as I remember previous years models doing? Anyone notice any video issues with the HDMI pass-through or upscaling, or have any issues with the audio output? Any information would be much appreciated; I tried the search function and found very little.

(this is the receiver I am talking about: OnkyoUSA product page)

Thanks!

Last edited by Milambian; 06-22-2011 at 06:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
DVDFreaker DVDFreaker is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2007
221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambian View Post
Hi all

I have been using an Onkyo TX-DS696 for about ten years now! It has taken everything I have thrown at it, has run very cool, survived 4 moves in a moving van, and never skipped a beat. Until yesterday, when it suddenly powered off, and wouldn't come back on until I unplugged it for a minute, at which point it also lost all its settings. While it seems to be running smoothly again, it got me thinking that maybe it's time for an upgrade!

Looking at the features of the 709, it seems to have everything I could want, most importantly being the Audyssey MultEQ XT.

So, long story short, does anyone have any experience with the 709? Does it seem to run hot, as I remember previous years models doing? Anyone notice any video issues with the HDMI pass-through or upscaling, or have any issues with the audio output? Any information would be much appreciated; I tried the search function and found very little.

(this is the receiver I am talking about: OnkyoUSA product page)

Thanks!
Keep in mind that after a few months, the remote control could not work, here is the link for it

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

I am getting the 809 because of this plus the 809 has better sound than the 709 but the 709 is a great system from what I read from the reviews and from the reviews I read, the system runs warm since they added another fan to keep the cooling (At least Onkyo listened), hope it helps on 1 question you asked
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Milambian Milambian is offline
Active Member
 
Milambian's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Keep in mind that after a few months, the remote control could not work, here is the link for it

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

I am getting the 809 because of this plus the 809 has better sound than the 709 but the 709 is a great system from what I read from the reviews and from the reviews I read, the system runs warm since they added another fan to keep the cooling (At least Onkyo listened), hope it helps on 1 question you asked
Thanks for replying, I appreciate it! That press release sounded a bit ominous, I'm surprised my googling didn't bring that up; time for more research... The 809 looks great, but the 709 is already at my price limit

Thanks for the info on the fan, I couldn't seem to find confirmation on that.

Thanks again! Anyone else have thoughts on this receiver?

edit: ah, that press release was issued yesterday, no wonder I didn't find information on it.

Last edited by Milambian; 06-23-2011 at 01:54 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
Hillside Trece Hillside Trece is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Default

I'm still -- after all this time -- having a real hard time stomaching that new look of their receiver faceplates...:thu mbsdown:
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
DVDFreaker DVDFreaker is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2007
221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
I'm still -- after all this time -- having a real hard time stomaching that new look of their receiver faceplates...:thu mbsdown:
They are not bad, I seen alot worse on other receivers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
Hillside Trece Hillside Trece is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
They are not bad, I seen alot worse on other receivers!
It's my opinion; I just don't like the design compared to the previous generations (i.e. from the TX-SR600 all the way up to the 608, etc.).

To me, this new faceplate design looks a lot like Sony's -- and a lot of people have agreed with that -- and that's NOT a good thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Ecstasy Ecstasy is offline
Active Member
 
Ecstasy's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Canada
71
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
I'm still -- after all this time -- having a real hard time stomaching that new look of their receiver faceplates...:thu mbsdown:
I totally disagree with you!

But then, just like you it is my own personal opinion.

- For me the X09 series look much nicer than the X05 series. ...More classy, with that clean look.
Only in your Dreams...

Last edited by Ecstasy; 06-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Hillside Trece Hillside Trece is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstasy View Post
I totally disagree with you!

But then, just like you it is my own personal opinion.

- For me the X09 series look much nicer than the X05 series. ...More classy, with that clean look.
Okay; you're of course entitled to your opinion.

I for one can't stand the new look, nor can others I have talked to about it -- way too "Sony" in design.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
DVDFreaker DVDFreaker is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2007
221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambian View Post
Thanks for replying, I appreciate it! That press release sounded a bit ominous, I'm surprised my googling didn't bring that up; time for more research... The 809 looks great, but the 709 is already at my price limit

Thanks for the info on the fan, I couldn't seem to find confirmation on that.

Thanks again! Anyone else have thoughts on this receiver?

edit: ah, that press release was issued yesterday, no wonder I didn't find information on it.
You can not wait until you save more money and get the 809? That is what I am doing right now, at least I have patient! I am hoping to get the 809 on Friday if I have enough funds and if not, I will wait until in 2 weeks to get it
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
Milambian Milambian is offline
Active Member
 
Milambian's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
235
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
I'm still -- after all this time -- having a real hard time stomaching that new look of their receiver faceplates...:thu mbsdown:
Hah! Fair enough, to each his own! I thought it a fairly classy low key front of the system (I tend to prefer that, my computer case is similar, a Lian Lee case, the most unobtrusive i could find.) I found it pretty similar to my 10-year-old receiver I use right now. I'm a fan of the brushed metal look as well, personally.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? Is there a problem with usability or accessibility that I should be aware of? I figure that I will be using the remote for most setup, then switching to my Harmony remote for regular use. Or is it a purely aesthetic issue?

Onkyo TX-NR709 front

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
You can not wait until you save more money and get the 809? That is what I am doing right now, at least I have patient! I am hoping to get the 809 on Friday if I have enough funds and if not, I will wait until in 2 weeks to get it
Maybe I am overreacting, but seeing my receiver glitch out like that for the first time after a decade makes me worried, and I'd prefer to replace it as soon as possible, and 'demote' the old receiver to a bedroom system for as long as it decides to keep kicking. Honestly, I am truly impressed with my old receiver's longevity though. In terms of the $$ aspect, ~$750 dollars is my current limit; while HT is my hobby and I would love to spend more, I cannot see myself over-extending that by much.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you purchasing through? Any kind of special deals I should be aware of?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
DVDFreaker DVDFreaker is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2007
221
Default

I will be purchasing from Amazon.com but somebody told me to check Newegg on weekends since they have special sales like last week, the 809 was selling for $699 plus free shipping! I am hoping it will have that sale this weekend again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #12
Hillside Trece Hillside Trece is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambian View Post
Hah! Fair enough, to each his own! I thought it a fairly classy low key front of the system (I tend to prefer that, my computer case is similar, a Lian Lee case, the most unobtrusive i could find.) I found it pretty similar to my 10-year-old receiver I use right now. I'm a fan of the brushed metal look as well, personally.
Oh, don't get me wrong -- I LOVE the brushed aluminum faceplates on the Onkyo receivers, amps, processors, components, etc.; I am not too keen on the silver finishes, as that's just not my style, but I love the black faceplates of their gear. One of the things that has kept me a fan of this brand! I just don't like the design of the faceplate layout on these new models; the way the buttons fall and such...reminds me too much of Sony's AVRs, and believe me, that's not where Onkyo wants to be.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? Is there a problem with usability or accessibility that I should be aware of? I figure that I will be using the remote for most setup, then switching to my Harmony remote for regular use. Or is it a purely aesthetic issue?
No, purely an aesthetic issue -- I don't think you should worry about usability or accessibility of any functions if you're considering one of these new models....I just don't like the look of the faceplate design...as I said, the button layouts remind me too much of Sony.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
DonRSD DonRSD is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
South Florida PSN:DonVCorleone
24
234
3
86
Default

Im selling an onkyo 806 in the trading forum if anyone is interested.


Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
PSN: DonVCorleone

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

BF4 Stats
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:44 PM.