COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$16.19
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion

Old 02-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #1

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
United Kingdom Good news for haters; Samsung no longer believes in 3D TV

In an interview with Belgian magazine Knack, Tristan van Overbroek, consumer electronics manager at Samsung, revealed that the company no longer believes in 3D TV.

Samsung will continue to offer 3D as a feature on its high-end television screens, but all marketing efforts to promote 3D will be ceased because the company realises that consumers aren't interested in 3D TV.

A recent Dutch study revealed that only 6 percent of consumers is willing to pay for a 3D TV, and that only 20 percent is potentially interested in the technology.

http://datanews.knack.be/ict/nieuws/...043767990.htm#

*Gimmick & niche product*
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

As predicted, yet another failure for a decades-old fad, with a new polish. Now, if the studios will just follow suit...
"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it." ~Henry David Thoreau~

My Blog
Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

It appears the vast majority of consumers are simply "haters", huh?

Time will tell whether this will spill over to the other big display manufacturers, but if true, it's not a good sign for 3D.
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS3 Slim
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #4

Jan 2012

Oh well i said 3d was a fad and it was failing but people told me I was stupid and ignorant.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Banned

Nov 2008

about time.. this was bound to happen

too bad Jimmy Smith is Suspended.. he would be fighting this thread to the death!

Last edited by nolfoc; 02-16-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Embrace the hate!
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengoblin View Post
Oh well i said 3d was a fad and it was failing but people told me I was stupid and ignorant.
I don't think you're stupid, but I do think you're wrong. Progress cannot be stopped. 3D technology is part of progress. Just because people hate something doesn't mean it is going away. Besides, after 3D, there will be hologram TV and then smell-a-vision. Can't wait...
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System (which is in the whoopee room)
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Samsung LN52B630 52 1080p LCD HDTV (which is also in the whoopee room)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvl View Post
I don't think you're stupid, but I do think you're wrong. Progress cannot be stopped. 3D technology is part of progress. Just because people hate something doesn't mean it is going away. Besides, after 3D, there will be hologram TV and then smell-a-vision. Can't wait...
And also, just because people hate something, doesn't mean it will stay the same.
It would probably be hated less and accepted more if it would just be better in quality.
If it was more "normal" or a regular thing to look at.
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF
Old 10-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #9

Oct 2012
george.org.za
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengoblin View Post
While the quest for 3D seams as natural as stereoscopic vision ... the inclusion of all 5 senses in the super-realistic , virtual reality experience is ultimately the way to go .

It's all good

Pascal
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
Default Can't help buying 3-D Blu's, for bad reasons

Either the 2-D's are sold out, or the 3-D versions have all the extras (such as Prometheus).

The good news is, they're only another $5 or so. The whole "hater" thing is ridiculous - if people like it, so what? I think the method of promotion is ludicrous, but who cares.

Maybe their marketing methods are akin to using a defibrillator on a coffin, but I don't care. These movies came with a 2-D disk, I'm beyond caring.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Power Member

Apr 2010
Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZenBomZ View Post
In an interview with Belgian magazine Knack, Tristan van Overbroek, consumer electronics manager at Samsung, revealed that the company no longer believes in 3D TV.

Samsung will continue to offer 3D as a feature on its high-end television screens, but all marketing efforts to promote 3D will be ceased because the company realises that consumers aren't interested in 3D TV.

A recent Dutch study revealed that only 6 percent of consumers is willing to pay for a 3D TV, and that only 20 percent is potentially interested in the technology.

http://datanews.knack.be/ict/nieuws/...043767990.htm#

*Gimmick & niche product*
I don't think one magazine article and one small Dutch study spells the Death Knell for 3D. It's a niche market and it will Continue to be so.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

I highly doubt it will fail. it says samsung is still making the 3d tvs. i'm sure it means they won't be doing exclusives anymore which is great.Great news for 3D.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Banned

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
I highly doubt it will fail. it says samsung is still making the 3d tvs. i'm sure it means they won't be doing exclusives anymore which is great.Great news for 3D.
you wont be rocking on when 3D is the new HDDVD in another year or so
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
LV-223

This is good news. It was just a gimmick for the studios to charge more.

Let me know when they finish the Holodeck technology.
"The sheep think they are wolves, but the wolves know better..."
Old 02-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

If 3d were to disappear, I doubt it would do anything to decrease overall tv prices. I guarantee manufacturers flagship models such as the Sharp Elite, Panasonic VT30, Samsung D8000 etc, would still be exactly the same price even if they didn't have 3d capabilities. It's a misconception that we are paying a high premium for those models because of 3d, when in fact it's really because they are the best of the best for 2d viewing. Some people might not feel that the difference in performance between Panasonics GT30 and VT30 is worth the extra few hundred dollars, that's up to the individual, but regardless better is still better.

I've only got a handful of 3d blu-rays, I don't use the feature often, but it is good to be able to have the option there. I certainly don't feel I paid for the 3d feature at all when I bought my 59" d8000 plasma, instead I feel I paid an exceptional price for such a great quality 2d tv, which is the truth. Anyone who complains about $2000au (which was roughly the price I bought my tv for in October, but has gone down in price even further since then) for such a good tv, has unrealistic expectations about the price of quality consumer electronics IMO.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Power Member

Nov 2007
417 Land, Missouri

About time, I was getting tired of seeing so many TV's being overpriced for something as silly as 3D.
The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with watches you from the mirror every morning.

PSN ID: jwblu
Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
I will always rock on..
Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
Expert Member

Jan 2010
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
Since when were 3D and HDDVD comparable? May aswell compare having a cat as a pet to having a giraffe as one. >.>
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZenBomZ View Post
I would read the linked article, except that it's in Dutch. Because the story took place in Belgium.
(Which, European tech sales aside, raises the obvious question, "Did you have to look THAT far for a wishful tabloid headline, or did Snowy and Captain Haddock help you?")

Oh, wait, forgot about Google Translation:
Quote:
Uit een recent Nederlands onderzoek blijkt dat slechts 6 procent van de consumenten in de buidel wil tasten voor een 3D-televisie, hoogstens 20 procent is 'eventueel ge飊teresseerd' in de functionaliteit. “In Belgi is de situatie vergelijkbaar”, aldus van Overbroek. “In 2010 had je enkele early adopters die absoluut zo'n toestel in huis wilden halen, maar in 2011 was het vet al van de soep.”

A recent Dutch study found that only 6 percent of consumers in the pouch will scan for a 3D television, more than 20 percent "possibly interested" in functionality. "In Belgium the situation is similar," says Van Overbroek. "In 2010 you had some early adopters who absolutely wanted to get such a device in the house, but in 2011 it was all fat from the soup."
"
Which means we now no longer know for a confirmed fact whether the article is referring to Samsung US (but that's okay, most US 3DTV'ers pretty much since stopped believing in Samsung), or to Samsung, um....Benelux, I think. Which I always thought sounded like a vacuum cleaner company anyway.
And since we don't, um...we can't say with any verified conviction one way or the other, and more importantly, the OP's argument is pretty much all fat from the soup, so we can all kick him in his lil' schoolyard pants.

(Thus leading to the usual pokes at fanatical hater desperation, and let the mean-spirited superior high-school giggling begin.
And no, jokes about "Boy, Samsung's really in Dutch now!" do not count.)

Last edited by EricJ; 02-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #20

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Talking I'm just a devalued witness because I hate three dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I would read the linked article, except that it's in Dutch. Oh, wait, forgot about Google Translation:
Eric a bulk of other countries around the planet do not speak or write in english. It's their second or third language. Within the boundary of the M25 london, over 184 languages are spoken, I enjoy multiculturalism (Mods, idiots have been adding stupid spelt words into the on-site dictionary!). When I travel around Europe I try too atleast use simple civilities in their own tongue.

It's great too see people enjoying the technology & not berating me or others for our views. If anything it is a further warning for the industry too not do a bodge job towards the consumers they have.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion