COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Demons 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.46
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA
Default Vote YES for power protection!

Howdy, I am a licensed Master Electrician and I will tell you that sags & surges are real and they are a real threat to your electronic equipment. I paid good money, like the rest of you I'm sure for my Home Theatre gear. I know that it needs to be protected. I have three forms of protection for my equipment, 1) I installed a dedicated 20amp 120volt circuit for my stuff with #12awg from the breaker panel. 2) I have an APC 1500VA UPS with AVR plugged into that. 3) I have an APC Surge Suppression plug strip plugged into the UPS and all of my equipment goes into the strip. Now the strip might be viewed as overkill but no, there are not enough receptacles in my UPS so i use the strip for power distribution. i also have my cable and Dish network boxes coax going through it as well as my ethernet that goes to a hub for my network enabled components. I can't tell you how many times people have had either a lightning strike, surge or sage that have lasted more than 3 seconds destroy their equipment. You spend so much money on these things and get CHEAP little plug strips. most of the time this is due to ignorance in the belief that this is enough, well, IT'S NOT! All of my equipment is well protected with all three forms mentioned. I had a good friend who lost a plasma and a blu-ray player both connected with a $15 plug strip called a Surge Protector. Spending a couple of Hundred dollars on REAL protection will not only protect your equipment from electrical faults from both nature and the power utility it will also extend the life of your equipment by giving it good clean power. Trust me on this, I'm a professional and this is almost 30 years talking to you!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Banned

Feb 2008
Magic Kingdom, FL
Send a message via AIM to ixlegitballinxl

good thread! A lot of people overlook power protection on their expensive toys. I got a lot of flack from friends/gf when i mentioned picking up a power conditioner.... good to hear from a credible source to justify the purchase, and to encourage others to invest also.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #3

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Wonderful thread! I'm also a firm beleiver in protecting your equipment by buying the things you mentioned. My investment in HT is just over $6,000 and I want to protect it. I think that people are really confused about the benefits of this and from reading some of the other threads, I have surmized that unless it provides them with better PQ/AQ as well, they view the investment as not really being worth it. How wrong they are. So thank you for posting this and I hope that people will take your advise.

Now that I have your attention though, I'd like to ask a question. One of my fave Audio magazines (UHF Magazine) has a HUBBELL Hospital Grade Duplex wall-outlet that they claim really helps. It's only $21.95 CDN and I was wondering if I should install one? Waste of money?
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Ohio

It just makes sense that if you spend:

$500-$2000 dollars for an HDTV,
$200-$500 for a Blu-Ray Player,
$200-$800 on a receiver,
$1000 on speakers,
$15-$30 x however many Blu-Ray Discs you own,

that you would put forth at least $50 bucks for a nice surge protecting power strip.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Banned

May 2007
Irvine, CA

I go through this with the customers Ive seen using CVS, WalMart, Target power strips. Ive explained numerous times the possibly threats mother nature can do to our home theaters. All I get is..."eh!...its ok...maybe later". I know exactly what you mean man..!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

My HT15 is being shipped as we speak thanks to threads like this and others. Thanks for the post, Mr. Electrician!

Panasonic TC-P50G10 1080p Plasma | Onkyo 805 | PS3 Slim | Xbox360 | Wii | APC H10 | Harmony One
Def Tech BP6B Fronts | Def Tech CLR 2002 Center| Def Tech BP2X Surrounds | PA-120 Subwoofer
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

I trust only Furman.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Anyone have any input on my question 5 posts up? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #9

Dec 2008
South Carolina

I currently have a monster( ) power strip/surge protector.. Is there a list of Power conditioners with prices that someone can point me in the direction of. Been thinking of picking one up pretty soon.
Currently:
Samsung HLS-5086W
PS3
Xbox 360
HD DVR cable box
Polk T90e's(fronts) Monitor 30's(surrounds)
Kenwood HTiaB(5.1)- Onkyo 806-Pioneer Elite VSX-01-?other options?
Upgrade: Looking at Center's
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegrasshopper View Post
Anyone have any input on my question 5 posts up? Thanks!
Is there no one here that can off any advice? I'm begging you!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #11

Feb 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Howdy, I am a licensed Master Electrician and I will tell you that sags & surges are real and they are a real threat to your electronic equipment. I paid good money, like the rest of you I'm sure for my Home Theatre gear. I know that it needs to be protected. I have three forms of protection for my equipment, 1) I installed a dedicated 20amp 120volt circuit for my stuff with #12awg from the breaker panel. 2) I have an APC 1500VA UPS with AVR plugged into that. 3) I have an APC Surge Suppression plug strip plugged into the UPS and all of my equipment goes into the strip. Now the strip might be viewed as overkill but no, there are not enough receptacles in my UPS so i use the strip for power distribution. i also have my cable and Dish network boxes coax going through it as well as my ethernet that goes to a hub for my network enabled components. I can't tell you how many times people have had either a lightning strike, surge or sage that have lasted more than 3 seconds destroy their equipment. You spend so much money on these things and get CHEAP little plug strips. most of the time this is due to ignorance in the belief that this is enough, well, IT'S NOT! All of my equipment is well protected with all three forms mentioned. I had a good friend who lost a plasma and a blu-ray player both connected with a $15 plug strip called a Surge Protector. Spending a couple of Hundred dollars on REAL protection will not only protect your equipment from electrical faults from both nature and the power utility it will also extend the life of your equipment by giving it good clean power. Trust me on this, I'm a professional and this is almost 30 years talking to you!
Shill.

Just kidding!! Very sensible advice indeed.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2008
FedEX Field, Ring Of Fame 11/30/2008

Quote:
so would you not consider panamax 5300 power conditioner real protection? if not? can you recommend some goods ones, because i've been reading more and more thread and starting to get worried!
*NEW* Pioneer Elite-KURO 50" PRO-111FD 1080p Plasma * LG50 42" 1080p LCD (Bedroom) * Sony BDP 350 Blu Ray Player * Sony BDPs 300 Blu Ray Player (Bedroom) * Denon 2308 CI A/V Reciever * Klipsch Reference 82-Series Tower Speakers BIAMPED * Klipsch Reference RB 51 Bookshelf Speakers (Surround) * Panamax 5300 EX Power Conditioner * Microsoft XBOX 360 60GB Pro * Apple 16GB 2nd Gen iTouch

My Blu Ray Collection

Rest In Peace Sean M. Taylor, Washington Redskins, 1983-2007
Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
so would you not consider panamax 5300 power conditioner real protection? if not? can you recommend some goods ones, because i've been reading more and more thread and starting to get worried! PLEASE HELP ME
*NEW* Pioneer Elite-KURO 50" PRO-111FD 1080p Plasma * LG50 42" 1080p LCD (Bedroom) * Sony BDP 350 Blu Ray Player * Sony BDPs 300 Blu Ray Player (Bedroom) * Denon 2308 CI A/V Reciever * Klipsch Reference 82-Series Tower Speakers BIAMPED * Klipsch Reference RB 51 Bookshelf Speakers (Surround) * Panamax 5300 EX Power Conditioner * Microsoft XBOX 360 60GB Pro * Apple 16GB 2nd Gen iTouch

My Blu Ray Collection

Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2008

CAN SOMEONE RECOMMEND A BRAND AND MODEL if the PANAMAX 5300 is not GOOD ENOUGHT???? SOMEONE HELP ME!

My Blu Ray Collection

Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #15

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPSeanTaylor21 View Post
CAN SOMEONE RECOMMEND A BRAND AND MODEL if the PANAMAX 5300 is not GOOD ENOUGHT???? SOMEONE HELP ME!
5300 is plenty good, overkill almost. hes talking about BS power strips you get at like walmart for 9.99 in the sale bins kinda thing.
samsung lnt4065
samsung 1400
samsung ht-as720 (soon to be replaced)
APC H15
xbox 360 elite
 Macbook 2.4 | 4GB | 250G ...  iPhone 3Gs 32GB
4x Polk Monitor50's, (waiting on the front soundstage)
Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jan 2008

If you have any common sense, you wouldn't plug a $5,000 projector into a CVS power strip.

Although, I could see people cheaping out because it's not something that you see results in. (Better speakers or a better reciever)
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPSeanTaylor21 View Post
Easy there big guy, he never said panamax is not good in fact that brand is flawless! i wanted to get the 5400 but it cost $700 so im going to get the APC H15 for $130 i think it does the same proctection, and has the same level of clean power as the 5400.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #18

Jul 2008
England

Before we all rush out to buy surge protectors, can I ask how many of you have actually had your stuff ruined by a power surge? I imagine the numbers are really quite small.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

You live in England; I live in Florida. More specifically, Tampa Bay- The Lightning Capital of the World. I also live in the US, where the power is not as clean as other countries...
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automission View Post
Before we all rush out to buy surge protectors, can I ask how many of you have actually had your stuff ruined by a power surge? I imagine the numbers are really quite small.
My family, friends, neighbors all have stories about how brown-outs, power spikes, surges, and more have completely destroyed their equipment also...
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion