Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #301
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill4000 View Post
Hey all,

So I bi-amped my monitor 70s to my Onkyo 370. Instructions are very straightforward. I cut/stripped the wires..hooked up the highs to the surround back channels..lows were already hooked up to Fronts...and then ran Audyssey. Horror as the test tone for the front right speaker was very muffled compared to the front left. I thought no problem..maybe I just mixed up the wires....so I unhooked it from both ends and did it again. Keep in mind that I gotta move my giant TV each time and I'm using bare wires on both ends. Anyhoo..Ran Audyssey again and still the same muffled sound from the right speaker...so now I'm thinking the speaker has blown...listening up close it's the highs (treble from the top speaker on the 70s)) thats very muffled...so I undo the wires from the speaker ends and swap the speakers around...again run audyssey and again...muffled sound from front right. So now I know the speakers are fine..and I'm thinking it has to be the cables...so I swap all the cables around...and again...front friggin right..so now I'm thinking I've got the highs/lows mixed up...so I try switching wires for the lows/highs...nope..even worse sound...so I put the wires back..swap the speakers again coz now I'm even doubting myself..but again...front right!!....I hooked the speakers back to normal 5.1...and everythings fine...back to bi-amp...and again the same problem with the treble on the front right....so after 3 hours...it has to be the Surr Back R channel right?? ...the highs are just so much clearer bi-amped and I do not want to have to go back....I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything before I beg my dealer to do an exchange instead of warranty....
Sorry for this silly question, but when you were bi-amping did you remove the clip that connect the top post to the bottom post on your speakers?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #302

Aug 2010
Canaduh

Yes. I removed it on both fronts. I even tried a hard reset on the receiver.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #303
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill4000 View Post
Hey all,

So I bi-amped my monitor 70s to my Onkyo 370. Instructions are very straightforward. I cut/stripped the wires..hooked up the highs to the surround back channels..lows were already hooked up to Fronts...and then ran Audyssey. Horror as the test tone for the front right speaker was very muffled compared to the front left. I thought no problem..maybe I just mixed up the wires....so I unhooked it from both ends and did it again. Keep in mind that I gotta move my giant TV each time and I'm using bare wires on both ends. Anyhoo..Ran Audyssey again and still the same muffled sound from the right speaker...so now I'm thinking the speaker has blown...listening up close it's the highs (treble from the top speaker on the 70s)) thats very muffled...so I undo the wires from the speaker ends and swap the speakers around...again run audyssey and again...muffled sound from front right. So now I know the speakers are fine..and I'm thinking it has to be the cables...so I swap all the cables around...and again...front friggin right..so now I'm thinking I've got the highs/lows mixed up...so I try switching wires for the lows/highs...nope..even worse sound...so I put the wires back..swap the speakers again coz now I'm even doubting myself..but again...front right!!....I hooked the speakers back to normal 5.1...and everythings fine...back to bi-amp...and again the same problem with the treble on the front right....so after 3 hours...it has to be the Surr Back R channel right?? ...the highs are just so much clearer bi-amped and I do not want to have to go back....I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything before I beg my dealer to do an exchange instead of warranty....
Sounds like there is an issue with the SBR channel of your receiver. Do you have an extra pair of speakers to test out this channel in 7.1 mode?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #304

Aug 2010
Canaduh

I dont but one last thing I tried is bi-amping and then running audyssey as normal. Lo and behold it found an error when it got to the test tones for surr back right....I called my dealer today and told him the problem and all I had tried. Without even asking he arranged for me to go to a local store and exchange it. Just finished hooking everything up and all is now good!!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #305

Oct 2011
USA can someone help me understand this configuration

Hello: and yes a newbie:

I am trying very hard to figure out if my system is bi-amped or bi-wired and why.

I have a Arcam350 receiver. It is connected to 9 speakers. What is obvious to me is that I have 2 side speakers, 2 rear speakers, 2 front speakers and a center speaker. Then on either side of my center speaker there are two other large speaker which I believe are subwoofers (my rt and left speakers are higher up). The arcam connects to 7 speakers and then from the sub out rca on the back a single cable runs to two "amplifiers" which then run to two subwoofers. The amps are james model 4 and james model 5 and they have a lot of dials ie phase cross over etc. I am trying to figure out what the setting on these dials should be. The cross over is set a 80 mhz on one and 60 mhz on other. Can anyone shed any light on why my system is set up this way?

Bk in florida
Old 10-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #306
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elannut View Post

I am trying very hard to figure out if my system is bi-amped or bi-wired and why.

I have a Arcam350 receiver. It is connected to 9 speakers. What is obvious to me is that I have 2 side speakers, 2 rear speakers, 2 front speakers and a center speaker. Then on either side of my center speaker there are two other large speaker which I believe are subwoofers (my rt and left speakers are higher up). The arcam connects to 7 speakers and then from the sub out rca on the back a single cable runs to two "amplifiers" which then run to two subwoofers. The amps are james model 4 and james model 5 and they have a lot of dials ie phase cross over etc. I am trying to figure out what the setting on these dials should be. The cross over is set a 80 mhz on one and 60 mhz on other. Can anyone shed any light on why my system is set up this way?

Bk in florida
Sounds like you have a 7.2 setup and is not bi-amped.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #307
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by elannut View Post

Bk in florida
howdy BK, sounds like you have an elaborate system; should we gather from your last line that someone other than you got it and hooked it up for you? if so or not, did your setup come with manuals? i think at this point with the questions asked you should learn a little bit more about your system in general and let the bi-wiring & bi-amping questions come a little later.
no, i'm not trying to be funny or a wise ass either. it's just based on your entire post you should be learning more about the system itself and worry about such things as the "bi" factors later.

it does sound like you have a nice setup. looks like you'll be doing a lot of research to get yourself rolling.
55" Sony SXRD & TCL 55P605 4K
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #308

Oct 2011

Thanks for responding: Thanks for advice and yes I take it the right way. I have been trying to figure out this system for the last few weeks. I always took my theatre system for granted and then .....the receiver started to act real funny....it would shut itself off for no reason. It was four years old and when I called my installer he told me there were a lot of advances and I might consider a new receiver. (non hdmi audio). Since I paid what I thought was a ton for the receiver I wanted to know everything about it. Finally I figured it was good enough to keep and I splurged for an expensive repair. When I got the receiver back I decided I was going to hook it up myself...partly because I love electronics but also partly I was embarrassed I did not take my installers advice. So I started to reconnect everything when I noticed the sub wires going out to these two amps and I was extremely curious. Any how I have been working on this site with others trying to figure out if I should get a new blu ray with analog component out in an attempt to get my system to be lossless. I have been learning about formats, 5.1 vs 7.1, types of connections ie hdmi vs opitical audio in an attempt to see if I should just be satisfied with my optical audio blu-ray connection or I should shoot for component lossless but lose any chance at 7.1. I finally decided to do component analog but this started to involve terms like cross overs etc. I did not want to do component wiring to non-hdmi until I understood everything and this is where I am now. Sorry for the vent.
bk in florida. PS i noticed you have the oppo 93 which i am considering

Last edited by elannut; 10-26-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #309

Dec 2009
Chicago, IL

Onkyo TX-NR609 using the Back Surrounds for Front Highs on Monitor60 Series II, is it worth it to do bi-amping or just leave it with the bridge in place?
« LG 55LW5600 - Receiver: ONKYO TXNR709 - Blu-Ray Player: LG BD670 »
« Mains: polkaudio Monitor60 Series II - Center: polkaudio CS10 - Rears: polkaudio TSi100 - Woofer: polkaudio PSW10 - Cables: MONSTER 1000HD »
« Extras: XBOX360 (4GB) - Logitech HarmonyOne - MONSTER HDP850G PowerCenter »
Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #310
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyHat View Post
Onkyo TX-NR609 using the Back Surrounds for Front Highs on Monitor60 Series II, is it worth it to do bi-amping or just leave it with the bridge in place?
just leave the bridge
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #311

Dec 2009
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
just leave the bridge
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm doing all the paperwork for my townhouse and have a closing date of February 2nd, which seems like so far away especially since I'm waiting to get it before I buy the rest of my setup.
« LG 55LW5600 - Receiver: ONKYO TXNR709 - Blu-Ray Player: LG BD670 »
« Mains: polkaudio Monitor60 Series II - Center: polkaudio CS10 - Rears: polkaudio TSi100 - Woofer: polkaudio PSW10 - Cables: MONSTER 1000HD »
« Extras: XBOX360 (4GB) - Logitech HarmonyOne - MONSTER HDP850G PowerCenter »
Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #312
Power Member

Apr 2011

I just recently bi-wired my Def Tech SM55 speakers and can definitely tell a difference. Glad I took the time and supplies to do that
My FS/FT/WANT Thread!
Panasonic Plasma 65" VT60
Pioneer Elite VSX-52
Definitive Technology BP-8060 (x2)
Definitive Technology CS-8060
Definitive Technology SM-55 (x2)
Definitive Technology SR-8040P (x2)
PS3 / PS4
Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #313
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Well,

I'm doing a big Bi-amping project.

I have just ordered these:

Marantz SR7008

Experience thrilling surround sound with the Marantz SR7008 9.2 Network Home Theater Receiver, which features the latest audio decoders, including Audyssey DSX and DTS Neo:X which let you connect front height and wide speakers for a dramatically expanded front soundstage. Once connected to your home network, you’ll enjoy a whole world of music listening, from thousands of internet radio stations from subscription streaming services including SiriusXM, Pandora and Spotify. Prepared for the future, the SR7008 features a sophisticated video processor that upscales SD (standard definition) to 1080p HD (high definition), and it is also compatible with 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) sources and 4K Ultra HD displays.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=SR7008

Two Marantz MM7055 Power Amps

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=MM7055

The MM7055 power amplifier produces 140 watts of high current output from each of its five channels. This is “real world” power, too, measured across the full audio bandwidth (20 Hz – 20 kHz) at 8 ohms with 0.08% Total Harmonic Distortion. Among other attributes, this means the MM7055 is capable of long-term power delivery into low impedance speakers.

I will be running them in an Bi-Amp configuration. 5 speakers Bi-Amped.

One question. Should I use the amps in a high low configuration? To split the power load.

E.G. First Amp does Font left High, Center High, Front Right Low, Surround Left High, Surround Right Low.

Second Amp does Font left Low, Center Low, Front Right High, Surround Left Low, Surround Right High.

Or should I keep it simple and just use one for highs and the other for lows?
Source: 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Bluray, CD, and SACD), PS3, PS4, Project 1.3 turntable.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Siglos 3 Tentation Ltd.
Headgear: iPod in Arcam Dock, Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, Woo WA22(tube amp), Violectric V281(SS amp), Ether Flow and AudioQuest NightHawks.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #314

Nov 2009
Missouri City, TX

I have a Pioneer Elite vsx-52 and Focal 826v Floorstanders. I know it is possible to bi-amp the pioneer through the settings but is it possible to do so with the Focal's as they only have one set of binding posts?
Certified FOCAL Nut

TV: Sharp Aquos LC60E78UN AV RECEIVER: Pioneer Elite VSX-52 BLU-RAY AND GAMING: Nvidia Shield, PS3, Wii
CD PLAYER: RCA RP8078 SPEAKERS: Focal Chorus 826v mains, CC800v center SUBWOOFERS: Sunfire hrs-12 and Velodyne DPS 12
Truck Setup: Front Mains: Focal 165 KRX2 Front Amp: Mosconi AS100.2Subs: 2 JL 12w6v2Sub Amp: JL 1000x1v2
Old 02-03-2015, 01:54 AM   #315
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
United States

I have a small room, so I only have a 5.1 setup. I amp assign the extra amps in the receiver where I can. The difference is very noticeable. The speakers "sing" after bi-amping. I tried by-wiring and found that to be a joke, but bi-amping was a revelation. If you can bi-amp, I highly recommend it. Your speakers and ears will thank you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers