Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Black Sails: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 03:55 AM   #521
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
374
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Will not have it any other way Billy There will always be nothing short of 3 identicle speakers for fronts for me
I personally have not had an opportunity to hear the glory that is 3 matching towers like you have. I'd like to though.

I understand the whole reasoning behind it, but for most folks, it simply doesn't fit aesthetically.

I know if I had an actual dedicated HT room, I'd go this route for sure. Realistically though, in my rooms, I'd have a lot of work ahead of me to accomplish having a vertical center tower.

So for now, it is what it is.
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #522
kenoh kenoh is offline
Active Member
 
kenoh's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Womelsdorf, PA
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy13 View Post
I personally have not had an opportunity to hear the glory that is 3 matching towers like you have. I'd like to though.

I understand the whole reasoning behind it, but for most folks, it simply doesn't fit aesthetically.

I know if I had an actual dedicated HT room, I'd go this route for sure. Realistically though, in my rooms, I'd have a lot of work ahead of me to accomplish having a vertical center tower.

So for now, it is what it is.
The best choice "aesthetically" is to go with a matching bookshelf, if you already have a sub!


None of the added woofers in a tower will play an important role if you cross over at 80hz, unless you run without a sub but of course some people choose that.

The most important thing is to have a bookshelf that goes below 50/60 hz and it will sound Identical if you run the center hot by 2db, to compensate for the extra out-put of towers, since they have larger cabinets to breath in.

My setup "currently" is not that bad, aesthetically I need a matching set for thhe front "which I'm in the process of doing" but any Horizontal speaker that either matches the front or isn't designed in a traditional compact center will do wonders and you will see an immediate difference in sound quality/voice reproduction then what you currently have!

Last edited by kenoh; 07-12-2014 at 04:54 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #523
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
374
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh View Post
The best choice "aesthetically" is to go with a matching bookshelf, if you already have a sub!


None of the added woofers in a tower will play an important role if you cross over at 80hz, unless you run without a sub but of course some people choose that.

The most important thing is to have a bookshelf that goes below 50/60 hz and it will sound Identical if you run the center hot by 2db, to compensate for the extra out-put of towers, since they have larger cabinets to breath in.

My setup "currently" is not that bad, aesthetically I need a matching set for thhe front "which I'm in the process of doing" but any Horizontal speaker that either matches the front or isn't designed in a traditional compact center will do wonders and you will see an immediate difference in sound quality/voice reproduction then what you currently have!
I think my Polk CS350LS is still quite a center to be reckoned with, even after all these years.........
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #524
kenoh kenoh is offline
Active Member
 
kenoh's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Womelsdorf, PA
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy13 View Post
I think my Polk CS350LS is still quite a center to be reckoned with, even after all these years.........
I'm sure it is

If you ever get around to it try switching it out to a bookshelf and see what a major difference it actually makes, I guarantee you one 6.5" woofer will throw a bigger more seamless and accurate soundstage then four 4" woofers!

Maybe you have non Bi-Polar Polk surrounds in the same series that you can use to test with? I'm just saying with a sub you don't really need a tower with all those woofers, how I know? Cause I tried it!

BTW, you have a very nice setup!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #525
STARKILLER--1138 STARKILLER--1138 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh View Post
I'm sure it is

If you ever get around to it try switching it out to a bookshelf and see what a major difference it actually makes, I guarantee you one 6.5" woofer will throw a bigger more seamless and accurate soundstage then four 4" woofers!

Maybe you have non Bi-Polar Polk surrounds in the same series that you can use to test with? I'm just saying with a sub you don't really need a tower with all those woofers, how I know? Cause I tried it!

BTW, you have a very nice setup!
Agreed on both!

Haven't used a bookshelf / vertical center in years. Extremely happy to be back with it:

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #526
marksas3 marksas3 is offline
Member
 
marksas3's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Salem, MA
Default

I've decided to go a different direction than my current Mirage OMD5's & OMD C1 setup for the front stage and just picked up a brand new pair of Martin Logan LX16 for less than $500 for the pair. Now after reading these articles and these posts, i'm wondering if i should just pick a single LX16 to use as the center channel. The Motion 30 at $700 is way over my budget ($300 or less) so i'm looking at maybe the Motion 8 or 6 models, but maybe i should just pick up another LX16, any thoughts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #527
STARKILLER--1138 STARKILLER--1138 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksas3 View Post
I've decided to go a different direction than my current Mirage OMD5's & OMD C1 setup for the front stage and just picked up a brand new pair of Martin Logan LX16 for less than $500 for the pair. Now after reading these articles and these posts, i'm wondering if i should just pick a single LX16 to use as the center channel. The Motion 30 at $700 is way over my budget ($300 or less) so i'm looking at maybe the Motion 8 or 6 models, but maybe i should just pick up another LX16, any thoughts?
Definitely the single LX16. Even with my less expensive little CB-10's, there is a huge difference in sound by using a vertical center. If you can, eventually, go LX16's all the way around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #528
Stevejl Stevejl is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2014
Thumbs up

Very informative! Thanks a lot!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #529
marksas3 marksas3 is offline
Member
 
marksas3's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Salem, MA
Default

ůso my plan for a matching Martin Logan Motion LX16 for my center channel has been foiledůsort of. Crutchfield ran out of stock, but ended up scoring a single used Martin Logan Motion 35XT for about the same price. It's not the same, but very similar, in fact i think (or hope) it will perform even better as a center since it has the larger 6.5" woofer vs the 5.25" of the LX16 and can go a little deeper.
I think i'll even like the fact that it's physically larger in appearance as well rather than having 3 identical speakers sitting close to each other.
We shall see...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #530
arc trooper arc trooper is offline
Expert Member
 
arc trooper's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Eau Claire WI
12
159
1
Send a message via Yahoo to arc trooper
Default

i myself went with three rf-7ii's for my front stage... will never ever go back to a regular center channel again
GT: ARCx7


My Theater thread! check it out! I love answering questions!

Also building an AT screen now... progress in the thread below!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=103617
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #531
Macadamianut Macadamianut is offline
Junior Member
 
Mar 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Default

Good info, really did notice the improvement from having the centre speaker vertical. But unfortunately for ....

Now have a vertical centre. Its above the screen, forming a pyramid top with the mains, I know its not ideal, tweeter is too high, but it all sounds great anyways.

Last edited by Macadamianut; 03-20-2016 at 02:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #532
cheecheung cheecheung is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2011
U.K.
271
Default

Hi, I've owned the B&W 683 s2 with the HTM61 s2 for nearly 4 months now and after many attempts at adjusting the dialogue for the centre speaker I am simply not happy with it. The audio is too low and when I turn the volume up it becomes less clear. I sit roughly 6 feet away from the speakers. Also when I say I turn the volume up, it is not to the point where neighbours start complaining or my windows start vibrating.

I know my neighbours do not complain since I'm viewing at like 4 in the morning.

From reading posts here, getting another L or R speaker will solve the problem however based on my circumstances at the moment it would not be practical.

Would getting the CMC2 s2, the larger 3 way speaker that matches the new CM10 s2 solve my problem?

If not then any other solutions?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #533
Macadamianut Macadamianut is offline
Junior Member
 
Mar 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Default

Have you calibrated your speakers as per big daddys sticky?
Ater doing so, I have had no problems with hearing dialog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #534
cheecheung cheecheung is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2011
U.K.
271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamianut View Post
Have you calibrated your speakers as per big daddys sticky?
Ater doing so, I have had no problems with hearing dialog.
Hi, do you have the link to his sticky? All I did was use the auto calibration setup that came with the Denon X4000 receiver, the audyssey set up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #535
rpatt rpatt is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
rpatt's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
69
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheecheung View Post
Hi, do you have the link to his sticky? All I did was use the auto calibration setup that came with the Denon X4000 receiver, the audyssey set up.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=38765
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159948
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95710
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Parasound: JC2, Pass Labs: X150.5,Yamaha: T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Modded Klipschorns.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Single center channel, or twin bookshelf speakers in the same position? Audio Theory and Discussion Chopper Greg 15 10-21-2009 02:50 PM
Which center channel will works better with the rest of the speakers?? Home Theater General Discussion frank001 1 07-31-2009 06:00 AM
Center Channel Home Theater General Discussion ryanmormon 8 05-05-2009 10:30 PM
Center Channel Home Theater Construction ThriceBB 9 04-16-2009 12:23 AM
Polk CS1 vs. CSM center channel speakers. Speakers Bassman 0 12-12-2008 11:54 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 PM.