Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 09-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

May 2010
Default Can you mix subs?

If I combine a good sub (from ID company) with a budget sub, is the result good or bad? Will the budget sub overshadow the tight bass? I was hoping it would supplement the mid bass regions.

The 2 subs I am considering are an old SVS cylinder sub, and a Klipsch 12, which is considered one of the best budget options.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......

Doesn't hurt to try it out.

No matter what others may say, you have to find out for yourself. And assuming you have both already.....why not find out with first hand experience, and not hear say
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (09-13-2015), crazyBLUE (09-13-2015), prerich (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
If I combine a good sub (from ID company) with a budget sub, is the result good or bad? Will the budget sub overshadow the tight bass? I was hoping it would supplement the mid bass regions.

The 2 subs I am considering are an old SVS cylinder sub, and a Klipsch 12, which is considered one of the best budget options.

Both are actually pretty good subs, with their limitation being the volume you play them at. Trying to rock the neighborhood with either one alone is a very bad idea...but playing both of them at the same time, turned down a bit, will give you spectacular results.

What you want in a sub is pervasive sound. It should be omnipresent, solid, and not break up or be strong in one place (a "point") source. Many people make the mistake of comparing them..."this sub blows that sub away"...and that's not the point. Having one monster sub is good, but having two that are not as good but playing in concert is better.

I had the same problem when I first set up my theater. In a fairly large room, I had two of the Klipsch 12 subs, which is definitely decent, if you don't push it until it farts. I played them together, but was looking to bring the thunder (my expectations were too high). What I found was that music was very nice indeed, but several tests I ran on movies (the Star Wars "Pod Race", the Master and Commander first sea battle) were a bit wanting. I didn't do enough "sub crawl" tests to determine placement, and just went out and got a JL Audio F113 and gave the subs to my kids.

As awesome as the F113 is, it was a point source. I finally found a place in the room where it worked, but I wanted more, and after much infantile whining, my wife bought a second one...and then for looks, bought two SVS SB-13 units to round them out. Now I have the sound volume and balanced sound.

But there is a limit to how loud you can go, without missing key elements in movies. Interstellar is a good example: it is a subwoofer extravaganza, but the Klipsch and SVS models you mention can deliver it very nicely indeed. When I watch it, I'm dialing back the subs - can't hear the dialogue! And the subwoofers rarely do anything...mostly just a meaningless drone in the soundtrack. I don't know what the hell they were doing, throwing massive sub in dialogue scenes, it's just strange.

So go for it. Don't worry about branding, and all that mess, use both subs. I'm sure it will work out.

Be ready to do the sub crawl, and find the best location for them for volume and tone. Don't push either of them too hard - they're ported and will sound very nasty if they clip. Fortunately, both were designed for smooth delivery if you don't run the individually too loudly, and when played together, they will deliver the goods.

Good luck, and have fun!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

Dec 2007

Simple answer....yes, you can mix subs
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #5

May 2010

Thanks. I will have both the subs ready to setup next week, I'm going to get the Klipsch since its on sale at Fry's again.

I also need to rearrange my living room for speaker placement and will try the sub crawl then.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Simple answer....yes, you can mix subs

You make it look too easy.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post

There are varying opinions on the topic of mixing subs.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:18 AM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
There are varying opinions on the topic of mixing subs.
And opinions are like....

First hand experience is a totally different thing. Not everyone has that.
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
Old 11-17-2015, 03:08 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

In my situation it was hard to blend my two SVS sealed subs with an older Polk ported sub.

Got a good result in the end. However it took forever to get right and a lot of help from fellow members on this site.
Source: 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Bluray, CD, and SACD), PS3, PS4, Project 1.3 turntable.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Siglos 3 Tentation Ltd.
Headgear: iPod in Arcam Dock, Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, Woo WA22(tube amp), Violectric V281(SS amp), Ether Flow and AudioQuest NightHawks.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
In my situation it was hard to blend my two SVS sealed subs with an older Polk ported sub.

Got a good result in the end. However it took forever to get right and a lot of help from fellow members on this site.
You are the gentlemen I referenced in the SVS Sub thread that had to crack a whip at your two SB13's trying to get them tamed.

It is interesting that you were able mix a ported sub with two sealed subs, which those that argue against mixed subs warn against due to how sealed subs has gradual roll off and ported subs frequency response is like falling off a cliff.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy13 View Post
And opinions are like....

First hand experience is a totally different thing. Not everyone has that.
That's true.

Sometimes is good to "respectfully" debate these matters, pro and con arguments are really helpful to enthusiast trying to make decisions.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Probably won't sound the best but it is way better than mixing the speakers that deal with treble.
HDMI cable CBC
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever! In home theater and in life, itís my firm belief that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR! Canadian hero "Your like a gas leak, we don't see you, we don't smell you, but your silently killing us all." PSN: blurules
Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:
You are the gentlemen I referenced in the SVS Sub thread that had to crack a whip at your two SB13's trying to get them tamed.

It is interesting that you were able mix a ported sub with two sealed subs, which those that argue against mixed subs warn against due to how sealed subs has gradual roll off and ported subs frequency response is like falling off a cliff.
Boy did I have to crack that whip. The two SVS's were terrifying. I thought it was going to do serious damage to the house.

Yeah. Roll off is a concern. As they act differently. In the end I made a decision. I did a sweep test and used my ears to work out the first frequency I could actually hear. I also used a SPL meter so I could see the needle response. The first frequency I could hear was 28hz. The SPL was reporting a lot of activity below 28hz also. So I made the call and killed frequencies below 30hz. Some might say that you may not hear below 28hz but you can feel it. It is a valid point. However I have the buttkicker system which can replicate that with far more effect right down to 5hz. So below 30hz was really not required. By rolling off 30hz and below it got rid of that scary stuff. Sounded a lot smoother also. So I'm pleased with the result.

I think by rolling off at 30hz it has smoothed the effect of roll off from two different types of subs. So in my situation it works. In other installs with no roll off two different subs could be problematic.
Source: 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Bluray, CD, and SACD), PS3, PS4, Project 1.3 turntable.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Siglos 3 Tentation Ltd.
Headgear: iPod in Arcam Dock, Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, Woo WA22(tube amp), Violectric V281(SS amp), Ether Flow and AudioQuest NightHawks.

Thanks given by:
Billy13 (11-18-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Boy did I have to crack that whip. The two SVS's were terrifying. I thought it was going to do serious damage to the house.

Yeah. Roll off is a concern. As they act differently. In the end I made a decision. I did a sweep test and used my ears to work out the first frequency I could actually hear. I also used a SPL meter so I could see the needle response. The first frequency I could hear was 28hz. The SPL was reporting a lot of activity below 28hz also. So I made the call and killed frequencies below 30hz. Some might say that you may not hear below 28hz but you can feel it. It is a valid point. However I have the buttkicker system which can replicate that with far more effect right down to 5hz. So below 30hz was really not required. By rolling off 30hz and below it got rid of that scary stuff. Sounded a lot smoother also. So I'm pleased with the result.

I think by rolling off at 30hz it has smoothed the effect of roll off from two different types of subs. So in my situation it works. In other installs with no roll off two different subs could be problematic.
What's your opinion about the lesser sub dragging down the performance of the better sub in a mixed sub system?
Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
What's your opinion about the lesser sub dragging down the performance of the better sub in a mixed sub system?
I don't buy that view. There are too many factors in play to dismiss the "lesser" sub.

The most obvious is volume. Try to play is too loud results in a hash of sound, and no reason to run a contest between subs. Especially with automatic sound correction gear, and microphones - you just wind up with all these robots calling each other foul names and telling each " we'll settle this outside" and other crazy stuff, until the cops show up. Increase the gain, gradually, to maintain the peace.

The other glaring problem is what crossover they're playing at. Depending on what type of sub it is (ported or sealed, and power reserve), you may want to pick a different slope to have them actually complement each other. You can get more bass that way.

You've got to fool around with it...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers