Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Banned

Sep 2014
Default Doing a Subwoofer Comparison Today...

Doing a little subwoofer comparison today, with my new Polk PSW108 and the older KEF 30B...So far I like the KEF just little better as far as sound, but, it's kind of weird...The Polk is more "boomy", even when putting it on a small riser, where as the KEF is more tight and accurate...However, I have to crank up the KEF to about 90% volume on the actual sub and turn the receiver subwoofer setting almost all the way up!!...The Polk sounds good at 50% volume on the sub and only 40% setting on the receiver...I'm kind of torn between the 2, but I think I might keep the KEF in this room, I just don't like running it at almost full volume, all the time

Thanks given by:
Hello ChoCho (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
Doing a little subwoofer comparison today, with my new Polk PSW108 and the older KEF 30B...So far I like the KEF just little better as far as sound, but, it's kind of weird...The Polk is more "boomy", even when putting it on a small riser, where as the KEF is more tight and accurate...However, I have to crank up the KEF to about 90% volume on the actual sub and turn the receiver subwoofer setting almost all the way up!!...The Polk sounds good at 50% volume on the sub and only 40% setting on the receiver...I'm kind of torn between the 2, but I think I might keep the KEF in this room, I just don't like running it at almost full volume, all the time

Polk always sounds a little boomy to me, so I have to hold them back in the power department. I first used them in a room that was too big for them, and had them running over 80Hz, which was part of the problem.

If they're in a smaller area, and you pull them back a bit (power-wise), they should sound pretty good. You have to be careful with the upper registers, I found.

I haven't used Kef subs, but I wouldn't leave them overpowered or working too hard. The risk of burning out a good unit scares the crap out of me.

Hope you can find a way to blend them...sounds like you have good stuff in there.
Thanks given by:
MikeMyers (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:05 AM   #3

Jun 2013
Inland Empire

I'm looking for a powered subwoofer. Connection would be directly to the back of a Pioneer 5020fd. That Polk might be alright.
I'm looking for this, Eastern Promises AA Slip, Minority Report Lenticular Slip, Fargo Award Slip, Independence Day Award Slip, Antman Best Buy Steelbook
Digital Code's For Sale Disney Digital HD Ultraviolet UV iTunes Vudu Cinemanow Flixster
My For Sale Trade
Old 02-09-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2012
charleston sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello ChoCho View Post
I'm looking for a powered subwoofer. Connection would be directly to the back of a Pioneer 5020fd. That Polk might be alright.
Chocho check out the BIC f12 or BIC PL200 both subs under $400 and there incredible I own the 200 and it's better than any klipsch or Polk sub I've heard the only sub that's better would be the SVS Subs
Sony KDL65w850a
Yamaha Rx-v373
Xbox One
POLKAUDIO
Monitor 60 Front Monitor 30 Rear
BIC-pl200
CS20 Center
Monster HDP-1800
Thanks given by:
Hello ChoCho (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Jun 2013
Inland Empire

Thanks brother.
I'm looking for this, Eastern Promises AA Slip, Minority Report Lenticular Slip, Fargo Award Slip, Independence Day Award Slip, Antman Best Buy Steelbook
Digital Code's For Sale Disney Digital HD Ultraviolet UV iTunes Vudu Cinemanow Flixster
My For Sale Trade
Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello ChoCho View Post
Dude................................

This has nothing to do with your question but I just wanted to say that I your Avatar ....................................

It really took me back
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers