Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Jun 2015
US
Default How much will I lose if the subs are behind the screen of a non-acoustically.....

I have a question that I've been wondering about for awhile now. I really really want to upgrade my surround system to a full Klipsch RP setup with a pair of the 15" subs. But to use a pair of subs, my only option will be to place them behind the screen. My screen is NOT acoustically transparent. There is a gap of about 5" under the screen to the floor and there is plenty of room behind the screen if I cut the needed space out of the wall te screen is mounted to for the 15" subs to sit. Would that 5" between the floor and the bottom of the screen be enough to not muffle the bass from the 15"s?

On my first system in the room, I had a pair of MTX Black-something 12" car audio subs in a sealed box behind the "screen" and they sounded just fine. The old "screen" I was using before I got the one I have now, was 3 sheets of drywall screwed to brackets and the seams were mudded and painted. The bass still came through although it might have been a little muffled, I was used to how they sounded in my old car when they were in the trunk.

The sub I have now is a B.I.C. America 12" sub and it is in the bottom of the built-in A/V rack off to the side in the back of the room.

So......anyone have their subs behind a non-acoustically transparent screen or behind/under something that basically blocks the sub itself?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #2

Oct 2014

Have you considered doing something similar like your AV-rack, but along the side wall/s.

Cut the same type of opening with space for the subs you want?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Jun 2015
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpacman View Post
Have you considered doing something similar like your AV-rack, but along the side wall/s.

Cut the same type of opening with space for the subs you want?
That's not an option. I would be doing that behind the screen but can't do that along the sides with 1 side being cement behind the wall and the other side wouldn't work either.

The spot where the 12" is now is too small to fit one of the 15" subs and there is nowhere on the other side of the back of the room to put another sub either. Behind the screen is my only option.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers