Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Taking of Pelham One Two T… $12.95 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 03-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #21
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
I did auto calibration without SPL Meter, and I got a final number of +4.5 dB's...What does that really mean? (Subs were set at 45% gain for calibration)
What happen if you turn the gain down to 30 percent?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:42 AM   #22
Power Member

Nov 2009

When I ordered my svs sub they said to get my avr sub readings to 0 or below (mine is -4) and then set sub knob between 1-3 O'clock. If you use the rca cable splitter on the back of the sub it will give more signal to the sub also. Mine sounds great with these settings and rec. them to anyone.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:36 AM   #23
Power Member

Aug 2008
San Fransokyo

I used to let my avr handle the sub, but I tried letting my powered sub do it on it's own, and it sounds night and day better. The response and low end are handled much better by the sub as opposed to the avr.
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever
Old 03-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #24
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
I did auto calibration without SPL Meter, and I got a final number of +4.5 dB's...What does that really mean? (Subs were set at 45% gain for calibration)
Gain on sub is set too low so AVR adds dBs to arrive at reference level. In your case +4.5. If gains are too high AVR will adjust to the negative range.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Gain on sub is set too low so AVR adds dBs to arrive at reference level. In your case +4.5. If gains are too high AVR will adjust to the negative range.
Re-ran calibration with gains set at 50% on all 3 subs and now I got -4dB as a final result.
Also, once we calibrate should we mess around with the gain controls again or from that point on we just adjust subwoofers from the AVR? For instance in my case should I leave sub gain at 50% or can I move it up or down?
Old 03-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #26
Special Member

Apr 2008
Chicagoland

Quote:
Re-ran calibration with gains set at 50% on all 3 subs and now I got -4dB as a final result.
Also, once we calibrate should we mess around with the gain controls again or from that point on we just adjust subwoofers from the AVR? For instance in my case should I leave sub gain at 50% or can I move it up or down?
Leave the sub setting alone at -4. The important thing is that the AVR sub output is not above 0 dB. If you feel that the bass is lacking after your calibration, you can always use the volume knob on 1, 2 or all 3 subs to bump it up or down a notch as long as you are not maxing out a single sub's volume. As for which sub(s) to bump and by how much, that is entirely up to you. Nobody here can help you with that unless we are in that room listening to your system and even then it is very subjective, everybody will have their own preference which may or may not align to your's.
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15

Last edited by ImPulSive; 03-19-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 03-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #27
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSive View Post
Leave the sub setting alone at -4. The important thing is that the AVR sub output is not above 0 dB. If you feel that the bass is lacking after your calibration, you can always use the volume knob on 1, 2 or all 3 subs to bump it up or down a notch as long as you are not maxing out a single sub's volume. As for which sub(s) to bump and by how much, that is entirely up to you. Nobody here can help you with that unless we are in that room listening to your system and even then it is very subjective, everybody will have their own preference which may or may not align to your's.
Sorry to disagree but no you really should not adjust the gains on the subs after calibration because that throws off the calibration. Instead, if you want more bass, raise the trim in the AVR.
AL

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
When I ordered my svs sub they said to get my avr sub readings to 0 or below (mine is -4) and then set sub knob between 1-3 O'clock. If you use the rca cable splitter on the back of the sub it will give more signal to the sub also. Mine sounds great with these settings and rec. them to anyone.
That doesn't make any sense. Once your receiver undergoes calibration-since it calibrates based on also "gain" set-you shouldnt touch anything afterward.
If your final sub level reads -4 at 45% gain (for example), the gain should not be touched afterward or the -4 dB result no longer applies
Old 03-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Sorry to disagree but no you really should not adjust the gains on the subs after calibration because that throws off the calibration. Instead, if you want more bass, raise the trim in the AVR.
I agree (read my last post)...
But what do you do if subwoofer levels now sound great for bluray discs but a little weak for Netflix or Amazon videos, like in my case?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
But what do you do if subwoofer levels now sound great for bluray discs but a little weak for Netflix or Amazon videos, like in my case?
Your settings should be input-specific. I'd just turn up the trim in the level settings for those inputs.
I feel like our ship's going down tonight.
But it's always darkest before the light.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Your settings should be input-specific. I'd just turn up the trim in the level settings for those inputs.
Are you referring to the "bass" and "treble" optional commands?
Old 03-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Are you referring to the "bass" and "treble" optional commands?
No. Subwoofer level. It should be in your menu under speaker level or something like that. There will be levels for all speakers, including your subwoofer.
I feel like our ship's going down tonight.
But it's always darkest before the light.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
No. Subwoofer level. It should be in your menu under speaker level or something like that. There will be levels for all speakers, including your subwoofer.
Yes, in my receiver audio settings. It is called "Channel Level", where you can change the levels of each channel (fronts, center, subwoofer, surround left and right, etc) for each hdmi source you have connected, independently of one another, without altering the calibration levels that were determined originally
Old 03-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #34
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Streaming vids will have some compression in both audio and video so I would expect the bass to be lacking. If you must have more bass then go into AVR channel level for the subwoofer and raise it to your liking. I never change my settings. If the bass is low I just blame it on the content or how the audio was authored.
AL

Last edited by hometheatergeek; 03-22-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Streaming vids will have some compression in both audio and video so I would expect the bass to be lacking. If you must have more bass then go into AVR channel level for the subwoofer and raise it to your liking. I never change my settings. If the bass is low I just blame it on the content or how the audio was authored.
There are such huge discrepancies i terms of subwoofer and also master volume whether going from one source to another. I can play a bluray dolby atmos title and the bass will shake my walls, but then I go watch Arrow or some other Netflix show and the bass is very dull
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers