Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Black Sails: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 AM   #41
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
sorry but if you can get better subs in the same price range then what would the reason to opt for Polk subs be?
Look, I don't want this to get out of hand cause we have all seen it too many times. I respect that you don't like and won't buy a Polk sub. My point is to say that Polk subs are not bad and there is really nothing wrong with them; they are not to your liking.

I have never said that they are the best or greatest and I never will, but what they offer is more variety for the industry. There is a Sony tv about the same price as an LG & a Samsung, which is the best and which is the worse, it depends on who you ask. Same with Polk subs, it depends on who you ask.

So again, I say that Polk my not be the first choice of subwoofer for some/most there are I'm sure better subs at close to the price of Polk subs, but that still doesn't mean folks won't consciously choose to go with Polk because for whatever reason, that's what they want.

I don't own a Polk sub, I have heard them. I have the subs I have because those were the ones I chose, not because I thought the Polk subs were bad or necessarily lesser. That's why it's nice to have choice, so one can get what one wants.
55" Sony SXRD & TCL 55P605 4K
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Old 02-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #42
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Look, I don't want this to get out of hand cause we have all seen it too many times. I respect that you don't like and won't buy a Polk sub. My point is to say that Polk subs are not bad and there is really nothing wrong with them; they are not to your liking.

I have never said that they are the best or greatest and I never will, but what they offer is more variety for the industry. There is a Sony tv about the same price as an LG & a Samsung, which is the best and which is the worse, it depends on who you ask. Same with Polk subs, it depends on who you ask.

So again, I say that Polk my not be the first choice of subwoofer for some/most there are I'm sure better subs at close to the price of Polk subs, but that still doesn't mean folks won't consciously choose to go with Polk because for whatever reason, that's what they want.

I don't own a Polk sub, I have heard them. I have the subs I have because those were the ones I chose, not because I thought the Polk subs were bad or necessarily lesser. That's why it's nice to have choice, so one can get what one wants.
Fair enough...
what subs you got?
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #43
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Fair enough...
what subs you got?
I have 2 emotiva subs, one in the HT room, one in the bedroom. emotiva holds an annual event at their facility in TN every year labor day weekend called "emofest" and they allow tours of their facility, demos of their gear, insider info on plus you get to meet the designers and the owners too. then they have a huge lunch with live music and things for the kids on the property.

they also offer "show only" prices that you can't ever get from them online. so, at those prices, I purchased from them. they sounded/felt good and the prices were beyond substantial to say the least.

they both work great for me, I'm not a bass head and I live in an apartment, they give me plenty and guests are always happy during movie night.
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #44
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
I have 2 emotiva subs, one in the HT room, one in the bedroom. emotiva holds an annual event at their facility in TN every year labor day weekend called "emofest" and they allow tours of their facility, demos of their gear, insider info on plus you get to meet the designers and the owners too. then they have a huge lunch with live music and things for the kids on the property.

they also offer "show only" prices that you can't ever get from them online. so, at those prices, I purchased from them. they sounded/felt good and the prices were beyond substantial to say the least.

they both work great for me, I'm not a bass head and I live in an apartment, they give me plenty and guests are always happy during movie night.
You live in an apartment with 2 subs, and no complaints from the neighbors yet?Lucky man
Emotiva makes quality subs...better subs than Polk for sure
Old 02-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #45
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
You live in an apartment with 2 subs, and no complaints from the neighbors yet?Lucky man
Emotiva makes quality subs...better subs than Polk for sure

yep, but, like I said, there is one with each system, I never have both playing and I also I have the gain at the sub dialed down some. I get plenty of umph and heft when it's needed, I can feel the weight of effects, yet it's not so much that I get people knocking at the door about turn it down or something like that. also, 10pm the volume is down. my goal is to recreate a proportionate theater experience, not to try to mimic what occurred in the theater. truth is, one thing I hate about almost all movie theaters is that the sound is too loud.

the other thing that helps is once in a while I invite some of the building folks over for a movie night.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #46
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:

yep, but, like I said, there is one with each system, I never have both playing and I also I have the gain at the sub dialed down some. I get plenty of umph and heft when it's needed, I can feel the weight of effects, yet it's not so much that I get people knocking at the door about turn it down or something like that. also, 10pm the volume is down. my goal is to recreate a proportionate theater experience, not to try to mimic what occurred in the theater. truth is, one thing I hate about almost all movie theaters is that the sound is too loud.

the other thing that helps is once in a while I invite some of the building folks over for a movie night.
do you play at -15dB approx.?
I usually play at about that range from reference level when watching movies, -20dB when streaming
Old 02-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #47
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
do you play at -15dB approx.?
I usually play at about that range from reference level when watching movies, -20dB when streaming
truth is, I don't know what it's set at, I just know that's it's right where I want it, wherever that may be! my volume level on the pre-amp for movie watching is between 50 to 60 absolute (not sure what that is on the relative scale) and depending on the movie recorded level, those volume numbers are plenty for me. in fact, I might dial down the gain a little more on the sub. some movies are mixed so hot, that when sustained levels of action are ongoing, the volume is so loud and the sub out put is so strong, it's almost un-nerving!

too bad the industry doesn't have one standard for recording levels for movies, then we would never, ever have to adjust our settings once we have it dialed into what we want.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #48
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
truth is, I don't know what it's set at, I just know that's it's right where I want it, wherever that may be! my volume level on the pre-amp for movie watching is between 50 to 60 absolute (not sure what that is on the relative scale) and depending on the movie recorded level, those volume numbers are plenty for me. in fact, I might dial down the gain a little more on the sub. some movies are mixed so hot, that when sustained levels of action are ongoing, the volume is so loud and the sub out put is so strong, it's almost un-nerving!

too bad the industry doesn't have one standard for recording levels for movies, then we would never, ever have to adjust our settings once we have it dialed into what we want.
that is the beauty of having our own HT room, we can tweak and adjust all settings to our personal likings...hence the name PERSONAL home theater
Old 02-23-2016, 12:26 AM   #49
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:
Let's face it, Polk Audio is not a subwoofer company. Only a die-hard polkie would argue with that
I agree with you 100%. I have owned 2-Polk Audio subs over the years and would never buy another sub from them. Polk subs simply lack the the low end that you expect. There are many well respected companies out there that make fantastic subs for the money.
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Sony 65" 4K HDR X900E, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 03-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #50
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Decided to bump this thread since I have upgraded my Home Theater with more Polk Audio speakers
The way it looks now I matched the Polk TSi200 for both L/S and R/S and L/F and R/F speakers. The center speakers is a CS1o (part of the TSi family as well). I think it is a plus to have as many speakers as possible matching brand and make
Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Decided to bump this thread since I have upgraded my Home Theater with more Polk Audio speakers
The way it looks now I matched the Polk TSi200 for both L/S and R/S and L/F and R/F speakers. The center speakers is a CS1o (part of the TSi family as well). I think it is a plus to have as many speakers as possible matching brand and make

Brand-matching is overrated. Polk makes decent drivers, but terrible amplifiers. The speakers are fine, but the amps will die.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #52
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Brand-matching is overrated. Polk makes decent drivers, but terrible amplifiers. The speakers are fine, but the amps will die.
The best setups use the exact same speakers for every location, even the centre. If you can use the same speakers then each speaker is guaranteed to sound the same as every other speaker making the transition of sound from one to another speaker less noticable because the timbre matches.
The reason for having different speakers is usually either based upon the need to be able to mount the surrounds or on cost and not because surround and front speakers behave differently.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #53
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Here is a look, but still "under construction"...
Here you can see the Front Stage right side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEFTFRONT.jpg (83.2 KB, 33 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers