Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Red Dwarf XII (Blu-ray)
$18.97
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 04-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #61
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post
I'm not sure there really is a JL equivalent to the sb1000? Even the new little 8" model would have an audible performance edge I'd guess? But the pricing is very different, I agree. A lot of that is simply the (JL)made in USA thing versus china(svs) of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Despite my love for JL products, I still think driver size vs. room size is a controlling factor. JL makes superior audio, but drivers can only do so much, even powered beyond belief. Size to size, JL is superior to anything I've heard personally. SVS is a very close second, when sealed.

It's the money that sends customers one way or another, and how much they need or have to spend. Knowing what I know now about SVS performance, I'd still give JL the edge in performance, but I'm filling a large space. A smaller space gives the SVS and other brands a chance to shine.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #62
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
It must be coming up on 20 years since my first JL Audio purchase.....and it certainly wasn't my last.... Made in the USA! Fuc%kin Awesome gear!
I've used Polk (when they were still American made), a couple of Chinese Polks (far inferior), and JL (both drivers and subs) in subwoofers. I like the American stuff, even if it does come at a premium price.

Having used pure Chinese stuff from JBL and Klipsch, staying with American stuff is more than just jingoism. The lone exception is the higher-end Infinity stuff, for subs - some of it is really good.

But JL is actually the best, no doubt.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #63
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I've used Polk (when they were still American made), a couple of Chinese Polks (far inferior), and JL (both drivers and subs) in subwoofers. I like the American stuff, even if it does come at a premium price.

Having used pure Chinese stuff from JBL and Klipsch, staying with American stuff is more than just jingoism. The lone exception is the higher-end Infinity stuff, for subs - some of it is really good.

I've got an American made Polk PSW1200 from 1997. Still going as good as the day it was installed. It has never faulted.
Source: 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Bluray, CD, and SACD), PS3, PS4, Project 1.3 turntable.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Siglos 3 Tentation Ltd.
Headgear: iPod in Arcam Dock, Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, Woo WA22(tube amp), Violectric V281(SS amp), Ether Flow and AudioQuest NightHawks.

Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (04-15-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #64

Dec 2007

Well I have 2 svs subs (CS16-46) and my pride and joy Acoustic Elegance P1512 subwoofer kits (they feature Acoustic Elegance AV15-H woofers and 18 inch Passive Radiators x2 @ 1600grams). The AV15-H is a fine woofer indeed!!!! I've been thinking about upgrading my SVS drivers though.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.

Last edited by prerich; 04-14-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #65

May 2010

Quote:

I don't believe in all this America vs China, there is zero correlation to quality.

e.g. JBL makes all kinds of products, their speakers are used in most pro cinemas and most movies are mastered on JBL. A lot of pro audio gear is also made in China as well. Even if it says 'made in USA', do they make their own drivers?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
I don't believe in all this America vs China, there is zero correlation to quality.

Overall, it's a game of percentages, even within the same brand. Power handling in a driver is a big deal. Also, a nerve-wracking issue is how a driver is attached to the "spider" - they come loose a lot, or how the attach an excellent speaker driver with crappy surrounds. The foam type come loose a lot, or develop tiny separations that break what needs to be an airtight seal.

Some issues are gradual, and take months or years to develop. Some eat it within a few weeks or months, and some crap out immediately with certain sustained blasts of certain types of program material.

Pioneer sells an excellent series of Chinese-made subwoofers, and some that are absolutely horrible. Infinity sells a great line of subs, all Chinese, and abysmal speaker woofers. It's hard to know without spending a lot of time with them. It's a mixed bag.

Quote:
e.g. JBL makes all kinds of products, their speakers are used in most pro cinemas and most movies are mastered on JBL.

Those folks are frustrating. The big deal with their good stuff is the power handling. Their pro gear is built to handle gobs of power for extended periods, and sounds great. Their economy stuff looks very similar, but are made lighter, with cheaper guts, and just don't do that well - and their consumer-level subs are powered by ultra-cheap amps.

If you don't ask them for much, that's exactly what they deliver. I still have the driver from one of their subs, that went toes-up twice. The driver is OK, but I don't know how to feed it, and I'm not bothering to find out. A buddy has a JBL driver, fed off a 1,000 watt amp, and never had a hiccup. He bought it for the name, didn't know squat about it, and his luck was phenomenal. Go figure.

Quote:
A lot of pro audio gear is also made in China as well. Even if it says 'made in USA', do they make their own drivers?

It depends. Chinese manufacturers are big aggregators - and the specs can be fixed on a certain standard, or more often, a "whatever works" attitude can be the rule. Witness Vizio in televisions, for example. In sound, almost anything goes.

When they sell to an American company, what usually happens is that they make certain parts, the USA group makes others, and it's just assembled somewhere in the US. It doesn't mean they're being untruthful, though only the quality control and build-out is done Stateside. Often, multiple vendors in China make different parts, and it's just put together here.

You pay your money, and take your chances.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 AM   #67

May 2009

What's up Dawg,

I moved the couch less than a foot away from the pbn sub....made a huge improvement, very comfortable with this purchase..)

hope all is well!
Bri
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #68
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
What's up Dawg,

I moved the couch less than a foot away from the pbn sub....made a huge improvement, very comfortable with this purchase..)

hope all is well!
Bri
Cool. The whole time I do furniture or sub-crawl chores, I'm hoping it makes a positive difference, and it rarely does.

Good to hear it worked out!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #69

Feb 2016

I canít live without Subs. Same with in the car.

Same with headphones. My beats headphones gives you bass you just canít get with in-ear headphones like Apple headphones.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (05-14-2016), Krelldog1977 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #70
Special Member

Nov 2010
Missouri, USA

I recently had to buy a new subwoofer for my computer, to attach to the outputs of the Audio Engine A2+ speakers. It's an Energy (Klipsch) Power 12 Sub, more than adequate for that. It's not nearly as powerful as my BIC America F12, but not bad for my computer's audio needs.

I'm thinking of buying an Auralex Acoustics SubDude Isolation Platform to sit under my F12, as it's on a hardwood floor.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:10 AM   #71

May 2009

Quote:
Cool. The whole time I do furniture or sub-crawl chores, I'm hoping it makes a positive difference, and it rarely does.

Good to hear it worked out!
Thanks, it blends in nicely with the mains now, I need to re-mount my rear left surround...it flew off the stand the other day and almost crashed into my aquarium....luckily no fish or feet were injured

The surrounds weigh 25lbs each....I didn't screw in enough support screws to keep it from loosening. I patched up the grill and will re-mount this week....onward and upward!!
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers