Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 4 Film Favorites (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Bridget Jones's Baby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Life of Pi 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
X-Men Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Big Sick (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$4.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
ouc ouc is offline
Member
 
Jun 2009
Default Is My Subwoofer Toast?

Hello,
It's been along time since I posted anything. I've been enjoying my Boston Acoustics surround sound since then for years. This week, my BA HPS10SE started buzzing. At first it would pop and now it will buzz loudly continuously when plugged in. If I unplugged the speaker wire from the back and plug the subwoofer into any outlet in the house it buzzes the same. My guess is something is wrong with the circuitry. I don't have the knowledge to trouble shoot such a thing. Can someone advise if it sounds more cost effective to have someone repair or if I should be shopping for a new one. If I need to get a new one, I would just want comparable sound and performance and not break the bank. Please suggest a brand that would be equivalent to what I have.

thanks for the help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
prerich prerich is online now
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Hello,
It's been along time since I posted anything. I've been enjoying my Boston Acoustics surround sound since then for years. This week, my BA HPS10SE started buzzing. At first it would pop and now it will buzz loudly continuously when plugged in. If I unplugged the speaker wire from the back and plug the subwoofer into any outlet in the house it buzzes the same. My guess is something is wrong with the circuitry. I don't have the knowledge to trouble shoot such a thing. Can someone advise if it sounds more cost effective to have someone repair or if I should be shopping for a new one. If I need to get a new one, I would just want comparable sound and performance and not break the bank. Please suggest a brand that would be equivalent to what I have.

thanks for the help.
Bad plate amp - replace it or buy a new sub.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (05-14-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
prerich prerich is online now
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

As small as it is...I'd buy a new sub
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
ouc ouc is offline
Member
 
Jun 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
As small as it is...I'd buy a new sub
So maybe not worth the time. I don't want to spend a lot but need to get a new one then. Is Klipsch any good? What would you say is equivalent to what I have now? I was looking at Fry's and saw this KLIPSCH 12" Front-Firing Subwoofer (R-112SW). It runs about $600 but not sure if it is over kill or overpriced. I was really happy with my BA sub and would want something that's comparable that I can plug in with the single LFE cable and forget it for many years. Honestly, if I can't hear it in my living room, I don't know how I could pick something. Any picks seem like it would just be taking a chance so I would prefer to walk in to store and buy one and be able to walk it back in if I didn't like it and needed to return it. All the rest of my speakers are BA's as well. Do you have any suggestions?

thanks for the help.

Last edited by ouc; 05-10-2016 at 07:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
ImPulSive ImPulSive is offline
Special Member
 
ImPulSive's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Chicagoland
1073
252
Default

http://www.svsound.com/

45 day risk free trial, money back - try it in your home, if you do not like it, send it back

Also have an outlet section,
http://www.svsound.com/collections/o...als/outlet-sub

Not sure if the 45 day trial applies to these as well, think it does, but better to contact them to find out for sure before ordering.

Any sub from SVS will be a step up from what you have/had. There are other vendors, all depends on your price point. You mentioned $600 so SVS is a good place to start.
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ouc (05-11-2016), prerich (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
ouc ouc is offline
Member
 
Jun 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSive View Post
http://www.svsound.com/

45 day risk free trial, money back - try it in your home, if you do not like it, send it back

Also have an outlet section,
http://www.svsound.com/collections/o...als/outlet-sub

Not sure if the 45 day trial applies to these as well, think it does, but better to contact them to find out for sure before ordering.

Any sub from SVS will be a step up from what you have/had. There are other vendors, all depends on your price point. You mentioned $600 so SVS is a good place to start.
Yikes! Ported or unported? Guess I'll have a look and go figure that out.
thanks for the link!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
ImPulSive ImPulSive is offline
Special Member
 
ImPulSive's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Chicagoland
1073
252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Yikes! Ported or unported? Guess I'll have a look and go figure that out.
thanks for the link!
Sealed - tighter low end, better suited for music for a crisper bass note, will not reach the lower frequencies as well as a ported unit

Ported - will reach a little deeper into the lower frequencies, better for LFE for movies (like explosions for ex.) but might sound a little muffled for music

All depends on your primary usage, music or movies, and what you like. I have a dual SB-2000 set up in my family room because I like the tighter bass notes for music. Hard to go wrong with either, all depends on what you like and want.
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (05-14-2016), prerich (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
prerich prerich is online now
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Yikes! Ported or unported? Guess I'll have a look and go figure that out.
thanks for the link!
ImPulSive gave you some very good and solid advice. If $600 is your limit, I'd go with this http://www.svsound.com/collections/o...sh-outlet-1328 and call it a day

The Klipsch is not a bad sub either - however SVS made its reputation on subwoofers, and its only $450 bucks. The SVS will do everything the BA did and more.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ouc (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
ouc ouc is offline
Member
 
Jun 2009
Default

Thank you both. I was comparing specs and reviews of a Klipsch R-110SW vs. the SVS PB-1000 and it looks like the SVS is still much better then the R-110SW and far better then my old BA at least on paper. The SVS appears to have much more power as well as a much lower frequency range which according to reviews, appears to be a real number. I'll probably order a new PB-1000 end of the week.
Thanks again for the help!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
prerich (05-11-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
Ed Mullen Ed Mullen is offline
Junior Member
 
Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSive View Post
http://www.svsound.com/

45 day risk free trial, money back - try it in your home, if you do not like it, send it back

Also have an outlet section,
http://www.svsound.com/collections/o...als/outlet-sub

Not sure if the 45 day trial applies to these as well, think it does, but better to contact them to find out for sure before ordering.

Any sub from SVS will be a step up from what you have/had. There are other vendors, all depends on your price point. You mentioned $600 so SVS is a good place to start.
All Outlet purchases are covered by our full Bill of Rights, including the 45-day in-home audition and the 5 year warranty.
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
www.svsound.com
custservice@svsound.com


"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (05-13-2016), prerich (05-13-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Thank you both. I was comparing specs and reviews of a Klipsch R-110SW vs. the SVS PB-1000 and it looks like the SVS is still much better then the R-110SW and far better then my old BA at least on paper. The SVS appears to have much more power as well as a much lower frequency range which according to reviews, appears to be a real number. I'll probably order a new PB-1000 end of the week.
Thanks again for the help!

If you're not blasting the sound at high volume, or if the room is small, you can get away nicely with the Klipsch. If it's loud, go with a sealed SVS unit.


Klipsch is very clean at moderate levels, and a small to medium space. I have two of them, in bedroom areas, at around the $200 range from Fry's.


I also have serious subs from JL Audio and SVS, so I'm familiar with the differences. Don't spend too much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
rob 14 rob 14 is offline
Active Member
 
rob 14's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Elmwood Park/Chicago
7
1
Default

@fryselectronics Klipsch front firing 12" sub
reg. $449 with this promo code "1205822" now its $189
It`s All About #TheU 🙌🏽
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #13
ouc ouc is offline
Member
 
Jun 2009
Default

Thanks everyone for your opinions,tips, and also for the Klipsch Fry's heads up.

I pulled the trigger on the SVS PB-1000. I've never heard of SVS or really know anything about speakers or subs. All I know is what I hear. I do know that on paper, it seems like I'm getting a great sub for the price as compared to Klipsch or other options. The fact that I can try it for 45 days or even trade up to the next model with in a year, really says a lot about a company standing and believing in their product. So I'll take a chance.

My living room space is about 13'x20', tiled flooring and open plan to the dining and kitchen. The old BA HPS10SE was 150w RMS and frequency of 35-150Hz 3dB. The sub was connected to my receiver via the single LFE cable. The volume knob was turned up to just below 3/4 to half depending on what I was watching. I watched both movies and listened to music and was always happy with the sound and never once thought the BA sub was lacking. With the PB-1000 appearing to be twice what the BA sub was, I can only imagine that the sound will be twice a great and I will hear sounds I've not heard before. I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade to the PB-2000. I have high expectations and hopefully won't be disappointed.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (05-19-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
ImPulSive ImPulSive is offline
Special Member
 
ImPulSive's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Chicagoland
1073
252
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Thanks everyone for your opinions,tips, and also for the Klipsch Fry's heads up.

I pulled the trigger on the SVS PB-1000. I've never heard of SVS or really know anything about speakers or subs. All I know is what I hear. I do know that on paper, it seems like I'm getting a great sub for the price as compared to Klipsch or other options. The fact that I can try it for 45 days or even trade up to the next model with in a year, really says a lot about a company standing and believing in their product. So I'll take a chance.

My living room space is about 13'x20', tiled flooring and open plan to the dining and kitchen. The old BA HPS10SE was 150w RMS and frequency of 35-150Hz 3dB. The sub was connected to my receiver via the single LFE cable. The volume knob was turned up to just below 3/4 to half depending on what I was watching. I watched both movies and listened to music and was always happy with the sound and never once thought the BA sub was lacking. With the PB-1000 appearing to be twice what the BA sub was, I can only imagine that the sound will be twice a great and I will hear sounds I've not heard before. I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade to the PB-2000. I have high expectations and hopefully won't be disappointed.
I do not think you will be disappointed. But with a room that size and open on one end, you may end up getting another PB-1000 to complement the first one. Try one first and see, but with your configuration, that is a lot of open space for a single PB-1000. Adding a second one will be a significant improvement, helping to balance it out. But all in due time, get the first one, do the subwoofer crawl to find its optimal placement (Google subwoofer crawl for more info) and enjoy. Willing to bet there will be a big grin the first time it comes alive during some movie scene...
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (05-19-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
superpacman superpacman is offline
Active Member
 
superpacman's Avatar
 
Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Thanks everyone for your opinions,tips, and also for the Klipsch Fry's heads up.

I pulled the trigger on the SVS PB-1000. I've never heard of SVS or really know anything about speakers or subs. All I know is what I hear. I do know that on paper, it seems like I'm getting a great sub for the price as compared to Klipsch or other options. The fact that I can try it for 45 days or even trade up to the next model with in a year, really says a lot about a company standing and believing in their product. So I'll take a chance.

My living room space is about 13'x20', tiled flooring and open plan to the dining and kitchen. The old BA HPS10SE was 150w RMS and frequency of 35-150Hz 3dB. The sub was connected to my receiver via the single LFE cable. The volume knob was turned up to just below 3/4 to half depending on what I was watching. I watched both movies and listened to music and was always happy with the sound and never once thought the BA sub was lacking. With the PB-1000 appearing to be twice what the BA sub was, I can only imagine that the sound will be twice a great and I will hear sounds I've not heard before. I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade to the PB-2000. I have high expectations and hopefully won't be disappointed.
but you may buy a second one..
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (05-19-2016), prerich (05-17-2016)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 PM.