Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Tristan & Isolde $12.79 ()
Soon: Road to Bali ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 01-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #661
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe View Post
I've always known Consumer Reports was NOT always the place to go for good advice on true quality electronics and AV gear, but this latest "recommendation" just solidified that fact! It appears the CR technicians have been drinking the BOSE Lifestyle kool-aid. Simply unbelievable....

The Onkyo system ranked third is 10X the quality of the BOSE at 1/6th the price!

Attachment 40187
That's pretty disgusting that Consumer Reports buys into the BOSE snake oil.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #662

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

I wasn't expecting to type so much, but here's my Bose story:

I don't know if everything Bose is crap, but 7 years ago I bought the Acoustimas-5 series for $250. It was something like 65% off, so I went for it, thinking I was getting a great deal.
Right away, I hated the so-called center speaker. I got a Polk Audio CS10, (which was the best at that price range from the store to my ears until the Klipsh center speaker at $250). I brought it home and I was "more satisfied".
I also hated the L/R speakers, so about a year later I bought the Bose V301s because I figured staying with the same brand was a better choice (but the CS10 was doing well for me).

I then used the remaining satellites for my 7.1 setup.

As soon as I plugged in theV301s, I played KING KONG on bluray and was still underwhelmed. It always sounded a little brittle and anemic. Thank God for that center speaker, because I think it was the only thing really keeping me satisfied with my system.

Oh, I also hate the subwoofer, and I had the dials all the way down, felt the bass was too "random" and very loose. It was substantial, but seemed to have a willy-nilly decision-making process in what was deemed "important" LFE versus just plain "loud".

Either way, I figured it was a good intro set of speakers for my first HT at the time. After losing two jobs and moving six times in five years, I have been at the same place for almost three years now and saved up for a replacement HT. I don't want huge speakers because a) I move a lot and don't like lots of stuff and would worry about them getting busted, and b) my place has many close neighbors and they'd get really angry at the noise.

I have been speaker shopping for a while, going to stores and hoping for something better than my Bose. Since 2008.
While shopping, I heard a LOT of great stuff, and was surprised even by a simple Yamaha HTiB audio even compared to my Bose. Price vs. performance was outrageous - in favor of Yamaha. Then, I moved up to the mid-range bookshelfs and I always just thought that maybe I had a bad setup at home and didn't bring my Bose to justice because I didn't know what I was doing.
After a couple days of mental note-taking (and checking out Bose display audio again, unaware of their marketing scheme - AND going by peoples' jealousy of my Bose system) I worked on crossover freqs, speaker placement, volume levels and equalization with every speaker over and over again. Looking for an improvement, thinking the acoustics of my place was bad for home audio or something.

I ended up just turning the center volume higher than all the other speakers because that made the best audio.
I switched from a legacy receiver to the Sony STR-DA2400ES. Lossless audio was dramatically better than lossy, and I've enjoyed thousands of hours of movies with my sound system, especially impressed by titles like the TRANSFORMERS movies (just the audio; not the movie), RAMBO, BAND OF BROTHERS and several others. Most recently THE AVENGERS was one of my all-time favorites.

I didn't know Bose was so hated until about a year ago. Even without the "Buy Other Sound Equipment" motto, I was always dissatisfied with my half-priced Bose sound system. I thought maybe it was me. There was no reason to look into peoples' opinion of Bose because I already had them; I wasn't looking to get some.

I finally replaced my old HT this month with a completely new system. Yeah, it was certainly not the "acoustics of my place" - any of the six I lived at. I can't wait to get the Bose speakers out of my place. A friend wants them. I am selling them for very cheap, because he doesn't realize it's not even worth $300 for the satellite speakers, 4 speaker stands, the V301s (which aren't even magnetically shielded. I was floored by the stupidity of this concept when I bought them!) and my old Sony receiver. I just want them OUT of my place.

Bose and I have broken up after a rocky, dissatisfying 7-year relationship. Now it's just sitting in the corner, that huge box full of unfulfilled desires and hurtful resentment at the false promise of something good. I wish I did it earlier, but once again I was uneducated on how Bose sells itself and what "audiophiles" felt about them.
I always thought it was me, and I was the only one out of EVERYONE I knew who wasn't impressed. So, I kept them. I feel sheepish.
TV - LG OLED65C7L
Player - Oppo UDP-203
Receiver - Marantz SR7011
7.1 surround sound - Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R); Center - 8060HD; surrounds - SM45s
Headphone Rig - Oppo BDP-93 or AK120, AK320 player(s); Schiit Yggdrasil DAC; Violectric V281 amp; MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs, Sennheiser HD650, and more
Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #663

Jan 2008

What happened to the original Bose read link?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #664
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Michael Fremer can't help himself, and rightly so - http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...r-bose-dead-83

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobwebb View Post
What happened to the original Bose read link?
Dead, I've updated the first post with a link to the Way Back Archive which still shows the article.

Last edited by dobyblue; 07-24-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #665
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks Bose sucks big time.
So many people say they used to have a great system (Bose), or would buy a great surround system (Bose), and I keep telling them that what I have heard of that brand so far was absolute rubbish. They sound pathetic, and all you pay for is their name, which I seriously don't understand, because their products stink.
I am an audio enthusiast, not a Bose trasher.
I can't believe people get lulled into believing Bose speakers sound good.
The can't be listening to the sound, but look at the name, while testing their speakers.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 11-21-2014, 12:50 AM   #666
Power Member

Feb 2009
hollister ca

The only thing I own Bose is a huge sound dock . I'm not sure the model but I've only seen it at Costco. Got for the wife it does sound really good . But for HT no no no.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #667
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

I have always thought Bose to be overrated, however this article has shown me how truly subpar the sound quality is.
I just bought my 1st sub and I can hear bass, but doesn't feel or sound like its coming from the sub. It wasn't until I read this article that I found out that's how a proper sub is supposed to work.
Its Bose type marketing that keeps uninformed people clueless and convinces them that how their product works is the "acceptable" way.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #668
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

I had been trashing Bose speakers for a while, because of what I had heard of them sucked, so I recently went to a Bose shop for a HT demo.

I brought my own BD along, and put it in. Yep. Bose sucks, and it's INCREDIBLY overpriced.

The system were 3-4 grand, and there was a lot of unnecessary processing going on. Bass boost, etc..
I had a nice talk with the seller, who was cool, and he agreed it was nothing for audiophiles, just for regular Joes, who take convenience over quality.

I honestly can't imagine anyone with ears could ever get a Bose system.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 05-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #669

Dec 2015
East of Eden
Default Bose???

Bose is the epitome of the american free-enterprise system: produce trash, get Americans to pay a high-price for it, and maximize the profits. How is anyone surprised with the results?

We had a saying at Best Buy back almost 20 years ago...."if it is all highs, and no lows....it must be BOSE!"

Almost every other speaker company is better built, outperforms on specs, and costs less than BOSE. That has been the case since DAY-ONE!

CAVEAT EMPTOR! NON EXPECTANS....NON DISAPPOINTABUNTUR!
Thanks given by:
ChadFL (05-23-2016), dobyblue (09-12-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers