Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: The Little Girl Who Lives Down… ()
Soon: Tough Guys ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #1
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default Replace Amp or Replace Sub?

So, I have a BIC VK 12 currently and the dang thing is blowing fuses. Pulled the Amp and I can see no visible damage to any of the components and I see no shorts. My options are to replace the amp which I'm guessing will cost me at least $120 plus shipping, or I can replace the sub all together.

I ask because I've not had a good experience with subs. This thing isn't very old and doesn't have a ton of use on it. Also, I never thought it sounded that great despite the raving reviews. Thank goodness I didn't pay $500 for it. I don't really have much money to spend right now but I don't want to spend $120 or more and have the amp go out again in a short period of time.

Now I look on Amazon and see a Velodyne Impact 12 for a hair under $300. Possibly could any Velodyne owners chime in? I already know that comparing a BIC to a Velodyne is a joke, but I've never seen a Velodyne in this price range before.

Any help is appreciated.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #2
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
374
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Also, I never thought it sounded that great despite the raving reviews.
If this is the case, I wouldn't bother with replacing the amp. What would be the point?

I've owned some older Velodyne models (2 CT-120's, a CT-150, & a VRP-1200) They were all pretty good subwoofers. I can't speak for the new models, but I imagine they still make a quality product.

Have you contemplated buying pre-owned? I'm not sure what your area has to offer, but if it has a good selection, sometimes waiting can be quite beneficial.
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Krelldog1977 (10-05-2016), prerich (09-02-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 04:18 AM   #3
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Yeah, I mean it's not bad. It was a decent entry level sub. Blew the Dayton it replaced, but then again... But you're right. Not much of point replacing the amp. I just assume it will last about as long and I still won't be really satisfied with the sound.

My dad has a newer Velodyne and it's lasted quite a while. It's a mid level sub and it sounds pretty good, a lot better than my BIC did. I think he's had it for about 10 years, problem free. While my BIC lasted four years or light use.

I did just take a look locally and most of it is car audio subs, crap subs, and HTIB subs. The few decent subs listed, they're asking retail, which is the case for most stuff around here.

How about any suggestions in the $300 price range?
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Gravy4547 Gravy4547 is offline
Active Member
 
Gravy4547's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb
15
Default

I haven't been in the sub market for quite some time, but it seemed like $500 was the dividing line between good sub with good parts and cheap sub with cheap parts. Maybe that's changed now, you'll have to do some research.

If you can't plunk down 5 bills for a quality sub, you may want to consider a cheapie to hold you over and let your system mature a bit before you make a big sub investment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
DavePS3 DavePS3 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
DavePS3's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Toronto
55
1
Default

I can speak from experience, to say that many times, replacing the amp can be a great choice. This is primarily due to running changes on the 'cheap-ish' amps most subs have built into them. If you look at Definitive Tech' subs as an example, most in the past, have had a high-level and low-level amp inside them and the replacement subs were better constructed than the originals. There were often flaws in these digital amplifiers that were corrected after the subs were on the market for at least 6 months. These flaws never showed up on initial tests but grew as the months went by.

If you decide against this, which is certainly reasonable, look at the PSB SUB125. Awesome little sub that doesn't typically over-modulate. This should fit within your budget. PSB's SUB200 is bigger and runs closer to the 400 to 500.00 mark but the 125 should hit right around 300.00 U.S.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
I haven't been in the sub market for quite some time, but it seemed like $500 was the dividing line between good sub with good parts and cheap sub with cheap parts. Maybe that's changed now, you'll have to do some research.

If you can't plunk down 5 bills for a quality sub, you may want to consider a cheapie to hold you over and let your system mature a bit before you make a big sub investment.
The nice think about the Velodyne I'm looking at is that it's about $500 but this dealer is selling it for $300, new. The only catch is if the dealer is an authorized dealer. They claim they are. I'm just going to verify with Velodyne first. I'm done with cheap subs. If I have to spend more it's worth it. My fust sub was a cheap Dayton. Went through three amps. This one was $300. They're cheap, not inexpensive. Had I spent $500 or more at the start, I imagine I'd still be using that sub. If I have to save more, then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
I can speak from experience, to say that many times, replacing the amp can be a great choice. This is primarily due to running changes on the 'cheap-ish' amps most subs have built into them. If you look at Definitive Tech' subs as an example, most in the past, have had a high-level and low-level amp inside them and the replacement subs were better constructed than the originals. There were often flaws in these digital amplifiers that were corrected after the subs were on the market for at least 6 months. These flaws never showed up on initial tests but grew as the months went by.

If you decide against this, which is certainly reasonable, look at the PSB SUB125. Awesome little sub that doesn't typically over-modulate. This should fit within your budget. PSB's SUB200 is bigger and runs closer to the 400 to 500.00 mark but the 125 should hit right around 300.00 U.S.
I had looked into doing that before I posted and I came to the conclusion that I don' think the enclosure is all that great and neither is the driver. I'd just rather invest in a better all around package then a really good amp in a mediocre package.

And thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into those.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Gravy4547 Gravy4547 is offline
Active Member
 
Gravy4547's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb
15
Default

Another thing to consider is when you buy a bigger sub with a beefier amp, you don't have to run them as hot to get the desired result. And this will add to its lifespan.

I am not an electrical engineer, but it seems to be common sense that if you run a 300W amp at 30-40% gain will probably take less punishment than running a 150W amp at 80-90% gain.

As for Velodyne, I have had good experiences with them. I run an Epik Legend now, but before ran a 20 year old Velodyne. The amp never gave out but the paper woofer fell apart eventually. I could have replaced the woofer but it had all this servo-mumbo-jumbo for the mid 90's and the Epik Legend looked and sounded so freaking cool.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
Another thing to consider is when you buy a bigger sub with a beefier amp, you don't have to run them as hot to get the desired result. And this will add to its lifespan.

I am not an electrical engineer, but it seems to be common sense that if you run a 300W amp at 30-40% gain will probably take less punishment than running a 150W amp at 80-90% gain.

As for Velodyne, I have had good experiences with them. I run an Epik Legend now, but before ran a 20 year old Velodyne. The amp never gave out but the paper woofer fell apart eventually. I could have replaced the woofer but it had all this servo-mumbo-jumbo for the mid 90's and the Epik Legend looked and sounded so freaking cool.
That a pretty good point. But the Impact 12 is rated at 165 RMS and I think almost 300 peak. The BIC VK-12 claims 1000 peak from it's BASH amp. Which I assume is something like digital zoom. It's a misrepresentation. But I assume the box design and amp are better on the Volodyne which should give me better bass without having to turn up the gain as much.

I looked at some of the Epic subs and I must say I'm impressed. I wish I could audition one. A lot of people are talking about them, and not jusst reviewers. But I bit the bullet and bought the Impact 12. Got it for $300 on Amazon. They normally sell for $500. I'm still thinking there's going to be a catch but they said they're an authorized Velodyne deal and it comes with a full warranty. So, if they're full of crap I'll do a charge back.

Hopefully I can sell this BIC for about $40 for parts.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
longhornsk57 longhornsk57 is online now
Member
 
longhornsk57's Avatar
 
Oct 2016
Texas
16
Default

yeah definitely just replace the sub, really no point in spending that much cash in just the amp, plus you would get a full warranty on a new sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:29 AM   #10
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Yeah, I ended up replacing it with the Impact 12. I even managed to sell the BIC as broken locally for $30.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18 PM.