Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fast & Furious: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Jan 2013
United States
Default Looking for advice on speaker choice.

I got a really great deal on a Marantz 7011 receiver, as the first step to upgrading from my Onkyo HTIB setup which has served me well for a while now, and want to get some awesome speakers to match.

I have my eye on the Klipsch premiere range and like the look of the upward firing Atmos speakers (RP-280FA and the RP-140SA's) but afraid these will be waaay too much for my tiny little room.

My current room is 11' x 12' and I'll be shining my Epson 1040 projector onto a screen somewhere between 92" and 100" which I'll decide once I have the projector mounted and focused. I like the offerings from Elite screens, but have not seriously shopped around for one yet. The Epson was a fraction of the cost of a 4K projector and all of my media is 1080p so I couldn't justify the extra expense just yet and my main passion is the sound so wanted to focus more of my spending in that direction.

I have attached a crude diagram of the room to give you an idea of where I am unable to place speakers and measurements and one idea I had with Klipsch placement. I welcome all ideas though as I want to achieve the best sound for my budget of around $5-6k.

In the next few years I will be moving to a much larger space with a living room at least twice the size, so I am half wanting to make sure I have the hardware to fill that room while not sacrificing sound quality in my current space. Maybe the RP-260F's would be better and I get dedicated ceiling speakers for Atmos?

I am open to other brands of course, Klipsch are just eye candy to me, although I doubt I will have the speaker covers removed for regular use.

Thanks very much for any help provided and if you need more info, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plan.jpg (62.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #2

Jan 2013
Albuquerque, NM

Speaker selection has a lot to do with personal opinion/taste. Some people love Klipsch, some people hate it.

If I were in your shoes, I would go audition some speakers. Or audition them at home. SVS, HTD, NHT among others offer in-home trials (some charge return shipping, so check that).

For best pricing, I believe Acoustic Sound Design or Sound Distributors (?) are the most competitive, but you have to actually call them.

Crutchfield is another option because of their 60-day return policy (again, check return shipping/restocking fees).

Check USAudio mart for great deals on used speakers. I got all my Paradigm speakers for roughly 20% of their actual MSRP.

Have fun!
PSN: cezbaggins
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-13-2017), prerich (04-06-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 04:31 AM   #3

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

I have the Klipsch RP280 and my room is 14x16. They do look really cool and sound good.
One piece of advise, if you want Movie experience, get a great sub before speakers.
Sound Distributors has really good price and the experience is easy, call them for price directly.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Howdy Sideways8LV . First, congratulations on your Marantz 7011 AVR . Looking at your room diagram/size, it is adequate for the simple 5.1/5.2 set up that will provide you with more than enough audio for that room . Yes, Im afraid that the Klipsch speakers with the upward firing modules on top of each speaker would be overkill . Klipsch speakers are a very reputable brand, and if that is what you like, thats cool . Since you are planning on moving down the road, I would wait until then for the ATMOS/DTS-X set up. With the addition of the Projector and large screen, well lets just say that your small room will be something to behold come movie night . Enjoy .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 04-14-2017, 01:22 AM   #5

Jan 2013
United States

So after watching a lot of the Audioholics videos and reading a whole lot more, I (well my lovely wife) returned my recently purchased Epson 1040 and I am going to get the Epson 5040 as the rest of my setup is all 4K ready what with the Marantz receiver and the Oppo player, so I don't want the projector to be the weakest link. Even though the majority of my media content is 1080p currently.

Also I have scrubbed the upward firing modules from my shopping list as enough people much smarter than I am have deemed them a pretty poor substitute for ceiling speakers, particularly in such a small room in close proximity to other channels.

I am still looking closely at the RP-250/260's as they are aesthetically pleasing and have yet to find anything else I like the look of which isn't very expensive. Also steering towards the Klipsch bipolar surrounds.

As for the subs, I'm thinking about either two SVS PB-2000 in the front or 1 in the front and the SVS PC-2000 behind the seating area, maybe corner loaded.

As for the screen, I would prefer a 2:35:1 ratio but going to do more measurements one the projector is mounted and shining on the wall so I can determine which I think will look better in the space. Based on the distance from the seating area, it's most likely going to be 84" or not a lot bigger I suspect. I'll go as big as I can without it looking weird or being awkward to view.

As for 5 channels, I am going to put up shelves behind the seating area to house all the blurays as well as diffuse some of the LCR reflections, and was thinking maybe I could put a couple bookshelf speakers there for rear channels. They would be no more than a couple feet behind the seating area. What do you think? Worth it?
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Hey there Sideways . My room only allow's 2' exactly for my surround's, and it work's good, however I wished that I had more room behind the seating area. You will be OK in that area, absolutely worth it . You could get away with only one SVS sub for that room, but I believe that two sub's is the way to go, regardless of room size. Having two SVS sub's will absolutely rock that room with LFE, but SVS sub's are the best , so you will have no problem at all blending them with your main's/surround's . As far as the upward firing module's for ATMOS, you would be much better off with ceiling mounted speaker's, but do not spend a lot of cash on those because it is not necessary . You have obviously done your homework in this area, so you are on the right track . Whatever you decide, please let us know, and good luck on your endeavor .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers