Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fast & Furious: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Default Adding on to a pre-existing wired 5.1 set-up with 2 wireless rear speakers?

I currently have a 5.1 receiver with 5 Definitive Tech speakers (4 ProMonitor 1000s, and the ProCenter 2000) connected to it. I am considering upgrading to a 7.1 Bluetooth receiver/ set-up (possibly this receiver when/if the price drops back down to $599), but would want to have my 2 rears wireless. Is it possible to have two wireless rear speakers, and also 5 wired speakers? I contacted Definite Tech and was told their wireless W7 speakers could not be configured this way. I don't want to have to start from scratch with 7 new wireless speakers, but would rather add on to the current set-up. Thanks. (I'm mostly clueless about audio.)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #2

Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb

You should consider a 5.1.2 Atmos set-up. Keep your standard 5 channels where they are, add two ceiling speakers (wired). That receiver you are planning on is an Atmos receiver. Do some research on Atmos and see if it is right for you.

You could attempt to wire them yourself. Its actually not as hard to do as you think. You don't need any special training or certifications. Just need some logical planning, a "never give up" attitude, and possibly a 15 dollar wire snake.

Or at Lowes/Home Depot, they sell wire covers to hide your wires. They are like little tubes with sticky crap on one side. You feed your wire through, and stick them to the floor or baseboard, you won't even notice they are there. I have 17 speaker (bar 6.1, HT 5.1.4) in my Mega Man Cave, and use these covers all over. They look neat and clean. You won't even notice them unless you are looking for them.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009

Thanks, but I'm renting an apartment, so I can't drill any large holes and/or make major adjustments to the apt. I would likely have to snake the wires along the baseboard, so I would rather have wireless speakers that I could move around/put away as necessary. As a basic tech question, is it possible to add onto a pre-existing 5.1 wired setup with 2 new additional rear wireless speakers?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Thanks, but I'm renting an apartment, so I can't drill any large holes and/or make major adjustments to the apt. I would likely have to snake the wires along the baseboard, so I would rather have wireless speakers that I could move around/put away as necessary. As a basic tech question, is it possible to add onto a pre-existing 5.1 wired setup with 2 new additional rear wireless speakers?
This is likely what you need so you can use it with any passive speakers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfi...?skuId=8275528

That should do it. I have seen Best buy use them in their own system for surrounds and works well.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Thanks given by:
NoirFan (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009

Thanks, I will probably get the Rocketfish with two of these Def Tech's for my rears.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Hey there NoirFan: All I want to say is that if you are even slightly concerned about decent sound quality, then the only way to achieve that is with a direct connection with speaker wire's, of decent quality . I have never had the opportunity to listen to a wireless transmission for speaker's, but I do know that this can be done. The link BigAl87 should do the trick. Good Luck .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Thanks given by:
NoirFan (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Hey there NoirFan: All I want to say is that if you are even slightly concerned about decent sound quality, then the only way to achieve that is with a direct connection with speaker wire's, of decent quality .
Yes, I know, I was considering it only as a relatively temporary stopgap, as I have nowhere to mount rear speakers and can't install shelves to rest them on (which would also potentially have speaker wire issues), but now I'm thinking I might get these tower speakers and run wire for left speaker under the rug behind my couch and right speaker along baseboard.

Speaking of speaker wire quality, I current use this 16-gauge wire. Is this what you would recommend? I could potentially get the 18-guage if it would make a discernible difference, but 24-guage would probably be a bit too cumbersome underneath my various rugs.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 AM   #8
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Yes, I know, I was considering it only as a relatively temporary stopgap, as I have nowhere to mount rear speakers and can't install shelves to rest them on (which would also potentially have speaker wire issues), but now I'm thinking I might get these tower speakers and run wire for left speaker under the rug behind my couch and right speaker along baseboard.

Speaking of speaker wire quality, I current use this 16-gauge wire. Is this what you would recommend? I could potentially get the 18-guage if it would make a discernible difference, but 24-guage would probably be a bit too cumbersome underneath my various rugs.
You do realize the bigger the number the smaller the cable is?

16 is just fine in fact for longer distance a thicker wire is preferred. THicker would be a 14 gage for instance. There is some flat cables out there that exists.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
You do realize the bigger the number the smaller the cable is?
Yes of course, I was just testing the knowledge of the rest of the forum.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #10
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:

The 16 gauge wire in question will work fine . It's normally not recommended because the wire is copper clad aluminum meaning that you would normally want all copper/no aluminum, but will do the job . Normally for long distance run's of wire's, most people/audiophile's would choose at least 12 gauge, but the heavier the gauge, the bulkier it is, and the more it cost. You will be OK with what you have chosen .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Thanks given by:
NoirFan (05-07-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers