Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Strike Witches: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$35.81
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium
Default V.R. (Virtual Reality) in Games

I was wondering with the advanced graphics and all that, isn't it time for Games to be played with VR helmets ? something in the lines of movies such as The Lawnmower man ?
With VR gloves that spot where your hands actually are in the 3D space and create them inside the VR environment of the game. Man I would love one of those and it is technically possible so why not ?
I know it has been technically possible for many years but it was too expensive back then plus graphics back then were not what they are now.
In conclusion I demand VR helmets and gloves for VR games this gen or the next gen at the latest !!!

Last edited by quexos; 11-28-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #2

Sep 2007
Vikingland

Since it did not go 2 well in the past i imagine they stil think it is 2 expensive and people dont care or want it.
However im all about VR if they bring it back, how does 4k glasses with some real powerfull pc\ps3`s sound.

BTW: just saw lawnmower man 1 and 2 again. Warning stay away from #2!!!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by H9k_ View Post
Since it did not go 2 well in the past i imagine they stil think it is 2 expensive and people dont care or want it.
However im all about VR if they bring it back, how does 4k glasses with some real powerfull pc\ps3`s sound.

BTW: just saw lawnmower man 1 and 2 again. Warning stay away from #2!!!!!
Well I was hoping that since the technology has been around for so many years that it would be cheap by now to mass produce. Anyways the technology may not be new but the real full VR Gaming applications with advanced graphics definitely are, that's why I was thinking it could be the right time to finally do it.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
Expert Member

May 2008
the sub-matrix
Cool

this seems completely marketable to me. i can't believe we don't see this more these days.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Whatever happened to the Virtual Boy?
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
Panasonic 65ZT60 - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790
Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberghost View Post
this seems completely marketable to me. i can't believe we don't see this more these days.
I would think so too. It would be the closest thing to being wetwired like in the matrix. Man wouldn't games be fun, wouldn't survival horror games be scary ?
Wouldn't sex games be ... hehe
Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #7

Mar 2008

I'm sure it'll never come to fruition, but this is interesting nonetheless

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/07/...lity-headsets/

Yay Apple!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsco View Post
I'm sure it'll never come to fruition, but this is interesting nonetheless

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/07/...lity-headsets/

Yay Apple!
Nice headset but this is Apple, meaning if it ever comes out it's going to be completely unaffordable.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #9

May 2008

check out the head tracking video near the bottom. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/
p46st30
denon 3808ci receiver
rti12 fronts
csi5 center
bic acoustech pl-200 sub
Old 12-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowmanjoe View Post
check out the head tracking video near the bottom. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/
This guy is good and he proves that VR technology with headsets should definitely be developed for games.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Did you ever see the tracking video that was made with the PS3 and the Eyetoy? That was impressive.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
that is completely amazing-

I wish nintendo would release some games utilizing this technology, WHY ARN'T THEY!!! AHHHH
Samsung 46" 650
IKEA LED Dioder Strips <------ FREAKIN AWESOME!
Xbox 360/PS3
Onkyo sr606- Monitor 50 x 2, monitor 30 x 4, cs10
Elemental design a2-300-Mental note: DO NOT test drive this sub right after you put your daughter down for a nap!
Logitech 880- Taking laziness to a whole new level!!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellmeyourDVD View Post
that is completely amazing-

I wish nintendo would release some games utilizing this technology, WHY ARN'T THEY!!! AHHHH
You can do the same thing with the Eyetoy as long as you have a reference point. In the Wii demonstration they have to have the Wiimote near the TV and the Sensor bar as the point of reference. The same can be accomplished with the Eyetoy as long as you have a starting position and a way for it camera to reference your distance. The way it was done was with glasses that had two led's mounted on it.

Sony can implement this right away if it wanted to. All you would need is an Eyetoy and glasses. It looked more fluid on the PS3 also. I think head tracking is the next step after motion.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
You can do the same thing with the Eyetoy as long as you have a reference point. In the Wii demonstration they have to have the Wiimote near the TV and the Sensor bar as the point of reference. The same can be accomplished with the Eyetoy as long as you have a starting position and a way for it camera to reference your distance. The way it was done was with glasses that had two led's mounted on it.

Sony can implement this right away if it wanted to. All you would need is an Eyetoy and glasses. It looked more fluid on the PS3 also. I think head tracking is the next step after motion.
It looks like the pseye has to be modified in order for it to work correctly though. The wii is already set up for VR it seems like. I found a good demonstration of how to make it for the pseye but i found the wii one a little easier to understand since it seems like it's a little less involved.
Samsung 46" 650
IKEA LED Dioder Strips <------ FREAKIN AWESOME!
Xbox 360/PS3
Onkyo sr606- Monitor 50 x 2, monitor 30 x 4, cs10
Elemental design a2-300-Mental note: DO NOT test drive this sub right after you put your daughter down for a nap!
Logitech 880- Taking laziness to a whole new level!!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellmeyourDVD View Post
It looks like the pseye has to be modified in order for it to work correctly though. The wii is already set up for VR it seems like. I found a good demonstration of how to make it for the pseye but i found the wii one a little easier to understand since it seems like it's a little less involved.
The only problem I have with using the Wii would be you have to do one of the following:

A. Strap a Wiimote to your head.
B. Strap the sensor bar to your head.

With the Eyetoy you just need to place a filter over the lens and have glasses with the reference points. This sounds easier to me. From there all you would need to do is have the person stand a specific distance so the system can calibrate for height and it's done.

Plus it would look better on the PS3.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Early prototyping of VR resulted in people who would have severe sickness for weeks. Vertigo, Dizziness, Vomiting...it's no wonder that people slowed down on the VR-train.

That's not to say it can't work, it's just very difficult, as you are screwing with the brain whenever you get things slightly wrong.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:54 AM   #17
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium

Recently in the news I heard about Nintendo working on a VR helmet that should replace the Wiimote probably for the next generation or something, it was brief news on TV so I don't have too many details.
But what I understood was that with this thing you wouldn't need aiming the Wiimote with your hands anymore, you just look in one direction or another at the TV and that's all.

Last edited by quexos; 12-30-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

I'd rather see games go Real3D first..
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, Great Outdoors, True Lies, Joe Dirt, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy.

T.V. shows that need to go Blu Man Vs. Wild, Survivor Man, Dirty Jobs, NHL Winter Classic 2009.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat