Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Goodbye Infinity...As a Luxury/loudspeaker brand

I've recently purchased some Infinity Prelude P-FR's. They were all the rage back in the day and welcomed Infinity back into the fold of competition against the likes of B&W 801 Matrix series 3 and other top performers. There was hope when Infinity followed up with the Prelude MTS - which gained a Class A full range rating. Now, those dreams appear to be gone.

On Harman's page, Infinity is only listed in Car Audio and lifestyle audio. JBL, Revel are loudspeaker hammers for Harman now. This is truly sad to see this brand go by the wayside (like Acoustic Research and several others).

Oh....I just saw B&W listed as one of Harman's car audio companies too!!!!

http://www.harman.com/lifestyle-audio

Check the page to see what I mean. This is just analysis on what has been shown...nothing from the company proper.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-11-2017)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

Dec 2007

Had to put my analyst hat on ....Infinity hasn't put out a "significant" product since the departure of Floyd E. Toole in 2007.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:51 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Most of these old great U.S. audio companies are just brands and intellectual properties in which the owner licenses the name out, mostly to OEM Chinese companies. They have nothing to do with the original company other than the fact that they bought the name. Same for the old American TV manufacturers. There are low-end Chinese sets being sold as Westinghouse and other such old brands, I guess to appeal to older consumers. RCA shows up on some products since Thompson bought the name (RCA bought A.R. and Dishwasher, among other brands).

Back in the day, audio companies were like fashion companies in that the products represented the design philosophy of the owner and you could tell just by listening what brand it was. For the most part, we don't have the equivalents of Edgar Vilchur, Avery Fisher, Sid Harman, David Halfer, Henry Kloss and on and on and on, except perhaps in the esoteric world, but I've found that most esoteric audio sounds like crap and I can't believe there are people who would spend $100K on speakers and $25K on a turntable (not to mention $2000 cables).

But once Sony, Panasonic and the other Japanese giant electronics makes came in, these companies were doomed.

Although it's from the 1980's, not the 1960's, I'm still using an Apt-Holman preamp and Crown power amp for vinyl and stereo CD listening. It sounds amazingly superior to my Pioneer AV receiver, which has pissed me off ever since I invested in that Pioneer. The fact that the Pioneer has some kind of endorsement from AIR studios is one great big joke.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (08-18-2016), Clark Kent (08-19-2016), DangeRuss (05-11-2017), prerich (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 03:58 AM   #4

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Most of these old great U.S. audio companies are just brands and intellectual properties in which the owner licenses the name out, mostly to OEM Chinese companies. They have nothing to do with the original company other than the fact that they bought the name. Same for the old American TV manufacturers. There are low-end Chinese sets being sold as Westinghouse and other such old brands, I guess to appeal to older consumers. RCA shows up on some products since Thompson bought the name (RCA bought A.R. and Dishwasher, among other brands).

Back in the day, audio companies were like fashion companies in that the products represented the design philosophy of the owner and you could tell just by listening what brand it was. For the most part, we don't have the equivalents of Edgar Vilchur, Avery Fisher, Sid Harman, David Halfer, Henry Kloss and on and on and on, except perhaps in the esoteric world, but I've found that most esoteric audio sounds like crap and I can't believe there are people who would spend $100K on speakers and $25K on a turntable (not to mention $2000 cables).

But once Sony, Panasonic and the other Japanese giant electronics makes came in, these companies were doomed.

Although it's from the 1980's, not the 1960's, I'm still using an Apt-Holman preamp and Crown power amp for vinyl and stereo CD listening. It sounds amazingly superior to my Pioneer AV receiver, which has pissed me off ever since I invested in that Pioneer. The fact that the Pioneer has some kind of endorsement from AIR studios is one great big joke.
on top of that, Pioneer audio is owned by Onkyo now.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

And as I'm sure you're all aware now ................................. The once mighty Harman industries and all of their brands were absorbed by none other but than Korean giant Samsung ...........................

There are more dark days ahead for our industry and hobby

Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Dec 2007

Yep......sad days indeed.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Yep......sad days indeed.
While we still have some excellent speaker manufacturers here ......... Most of them have their better models priced in the stratosphere ....
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
While we still have some excellent speaker manufacturers here ......... Most of them have their better models priced in the stratosphere ....
Well it seems that Tekton is making a run at everyone that has speakers priced above $15k!!! My P-FR's are some of the best speakers that I've heard cost no object! They image like mini-monitors (actually beat several mini-monitors) and they have uncanny depth. Their replacements - the MTS were Stereophile class A fullrange - up there with the big dogs!!! Mine were class B fullrange (because the bass - although it went low - it lacked that push that would have made them class A - corrected with the MTS R.A.B.O.S. system....but with my subs...I'd say class A INDEED).

Companies are pricing themselves right out of the market!!!! Thank goodness for companies like Tekton!
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

Dec 2007

I may have spoken too soon!!!!!!!! Tekton seems to be doing what Infinity did when the P-FR's got rave reviews and the upped the price from $3k to almost $4.5k and when the MTS came out and got a class A they went from $8k to $10k!!!!

What is this?!!!! I understand - and yes its alright to make a profit, more power to the man (he's been through a whole lot and deserves to be a millionare), but the Pendragon is going up to $20k folks, and the Briliance, going up to $10K, and the newest speaker will be $12k! Oh that's right - they're not speakers any more - they are Personal Monitoring Devices (Tekton PDM).

i'm stunned!!!!! Well.....so goes that $3k sweet spot.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Well it seems that Tekton is making a run at everyone that has speakers priced above $15k!!! My P-FR's are some of the best speakers that I've heard cost no object! They image like mini-monitors (actually beat several mini-monitors) and they have uncanny depth. Their replacements - the MTS were Stereophile class A fullrange - up there with the big dogs!!! Mine were class B fullrange (because the bass - although it went low - it lacked that push that would have made them class A - corrected with the MTS R.A.B.O.S. system....but with my subs...I'd say class A INDEED).

Companies are pricing themselves right out of the market!!!! Thank goodness for companies like Tekton!
Have you ever tried to price a pair of speakers by my favorite speaker designer Carl Marchisotto ? ....................

Quote:
I may have spoken too soon!!!!!!!! Tekton seems to be doing what Infinity did when the P-FR's got rave reviews and the upped the price from $3k to almost $4.5k and when the MTS came out and got a class A they went from $8k to $10k!!!!

What is this?!!!! I understand - and yes its alright to make a profit, more power to the man (he's been through a whole lot and deserves to be a millionare), but the Pendragon is going up to $20k folks, and the Briliance, going up to $10K, and the newest speaker will be $12k! Oh that's right - they're not speakers any more - they are Personal Monitoring Devices (Tekton PDM).

i'm stunned!!!!! Well.....so goes that $3k sweet spot.
Well there's still the smaller companies like Salk, Zu, Devore, Vandersteen etc.

Here's a nice link ........................ http://americanmadeaudio.com/
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #11

Dec 2007

Quote:
Have you ever tried to price a pair of speakers by my favorite speaker designer Carl Marchisotto ? ....................

Well there's still the smaller companies like Salk, Zu, Devore, Vandersteen etc.

Here's a nice link ........................ http://americanmadeaudio.com/
Have you seen the price of a pair of Vandersteen 7's or Quattros
Zu is a fine brand but not as refined as others - Salk is the real deal and so is Devore - but they can get up there too.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:

Companies are pricing themselves right out of the market!!!!
Absolutely . This seem's to be the trend with the audio market lately. If some of the high end speaker company's want to price their gear so high that nobody can purchase them like they once did, then it's company's like Harman that bought out JBL speaker's, along with a few other company's they got their hand's on, and now Harman is a part of Samsung. Pioneer now merging with Onkyo, just to name a few of the other company's that have done the same thing/ or forced to, make's you wonder just where and the hell all of this is going. We all know what this mean's for us/the consumer, so get ready because we have not seen the end of this .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER

Last edited by Dwayne; 05-12-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Absolutely . This seem's to be the trend with the audio market lately. If some of the high end speaker company's want to price their gear so high that nobody can purchase them like they once did, then it's company's like Harman that bought out JBL speaker's, along with a few other company's they got their hand's on, and now Harman is a part of Samsung. Pioneer now merging with Onkyo, just to name a few of the other company's that have done the same thing/ or forced to, make's you wonder just where and the hell all of this is going. We all know what this mean's for us/the consumer, so get ready because we have not seen the end of this .
Then don't forget Klipsch's buying of Jamo, Energy and Mirage among others ................ Who were in turn bought by Audiovox (who now goes under the name) Voxx international no doubt in an attempt to distance itself from the way they handled ......... Jensen, Acoustic Research, Advent, RCA among others

And mark my words .................................. all of our beloved electronics companies will eventually absorbed by either Apple or even better yet BOSE*

[Show spoiler]Scary thought huh .........................
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #14

Dec 2007

Quote:
Then don't forget Klipsch's buying of Jamo, Energy and Mirage among others ................ Who were in turn bought by Audiovox (who now goes under the name) Voxx international no doubt in an attempt to distance itself from the way they handled ......... Jensen, Acoustic Research, Advent, RCA among others

And mark my words .................................. all of our beloved electronics companies will eventually absorbed by either Apple or even better yet BOSE*

[Show spoiler]Scary thought huh .........................
I'm wondering what's going on over at Klipsch!!! They seem to be taking steps forward with the Heritage brand (or is it the last Horray)? The things they are coming out with now are very nice indeed!!!!! They also have new life because there are several companies out there that are selling improved versions of their initial designs (La Scalas, Cornwalls, and Jubliees are the ones that I've seen from other companies).
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #15
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
I'm wondering what's going on over at Klipsch!!! They seem to be taking steps forward with the Heritage brand (or is it the last Horray)? The things they are coming out with now are very nice indeed!!!!! They also have new life because there are several companies out there that are selling improved versions of their initial designs (La Scalas, Cornwalls, and Jubliees are the ones that I've seen from other companies).
Remember what happened after they acquired .............. Aragon & Acurus .............................. They came out with new well received models, then stopped supporting them and eventually selling the brands off (thank god )

But Klipsch is now under the Audiovox umbrella
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #16

Dec 2007

Quote:
Remember what happened after they acquired .............. Aragon & Acurus .............................. They came out with new well received models, then stopped supporting them and eventually selling the brands off (thank god )

But Klipsch is now under the Audiovox umbrella
Yeah, but now they seem to be returning to the high-end arena with the Anniversary series of Cornwalls, Heresy, K-Horns, and LaScalas I believe. You also have the powered Fifteens and several other models to be announced that are wonderful!
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-16-2017), Dwayne (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #17
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

The root of all EVIL, the almighty $$$$$, is what this is all about . Every damn day we find another brand sporting another company's logo . The Klipsch merger with Audiovox I hope does not kill the quality of the speaker's that Klipsch has been giving us for year's . What will happen with the most trusted name in audio since it's early day's, Pioneer/Elite AVR's, now that Onkyo has taken over . I used to be an Onkyo fan in it's early day's, but it's been my observation that Onkyo has taken a step backward's in their AVR line up the last 4/5 year's so that makes me very nervous . As long as these companies try hard too keep the said merger's quality and integrity in tact, then there is no problem. Unfortunately this is rarely the case . We can talk about all of the previous/current merger's and company's going belly up until we are beating a . Hey there DangeRuss, if Apple/Bose got a hold of all of this then all I can say is first we must have a few drink's , then say and of course bring out the big gun's .....LOL .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Samsung 47" 1080P HDTV, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER

Last edited by Dwayne; 05-16-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Thanks given by:
prerich (05-19-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #18
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
The root of all EVIL, the almighty $$$$$, is what this is all about . Every damn day we find another brand sporting another company's logo . The Klipsch merger with Audiovox I hope does not kill the quality of the speaker's that Klipsch has been giving us for year's . What will happen with the most trusted name in audio since it's early day's, Pioneer/Elite AVR's, now that Onkyo has taken over . I used to be an Onkyo fan in it's early day's, but it's been my observation that Onkyo has taken a step backward's in their AVR line up the last 4/5 year's so that makes me very nervous . As long as these companies try hard too keep the said merger's quality and integrity in tact, then there is no problem. Unfortunately this is rarely the case . We can talk about all of the previous/current merger's and company's going belly up until we are beating a . Hey there DangeRuss, if Apple/Bose got a hold of all of this then all I can say is first we must have a few drink's , then say and of course bring out the big gun's .....LOL .
You know ............................ I'm ready and willing

Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (05-17-2017), prerich (05-19-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers