Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Apr 2017
Default Finally, A time to upgrade speakers!

I've had my Axiom M22ti's And VP150 for a long long time. I think its time for a change!
I've been looking at B&W for an upgrade path, but am wondering what the starting point would be knowing that the M22ti v1 or possibly v2 is where I am at today. They are being driven by a Marantz 6008, thats about to become a 6011 because of my 4k help 2.2 issue.
Does anyone have any suggestions based off the sound I have now with the Axioms? My QS8 is having issues as well so I'll eventually be replacing those as well! My goal is to get a Atmos setup going!
Thanks for your time!
I'd also add I'm in an apartment but kind of want floor speakers. The area is about 11x13

Last edited by sevenx7; 04-25-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenx7 View Post
I've had my Axiom M22ti's And VP150 for a long long time. I think its time for a change!
I've been looking at B&W for an upgrade path, but am wondering what the starting point would be knowing that the M22ti v1 or possibly v2 is where I am at today. They are being driven by a Marantz 6008, thats about to become a 6011 because of my 4k help 2.2 issue.
Does anyone have any suggestions based off the sound I have now with the Axioms? My QS8 is having issues as well so I'll eventually be replacing those as well! My goal is to get a Atmos setup going!
Thanks for your time!
I'd also add I'm in an apartment but kind of want floor speakers. The area is about 11x13
What about Bryston Speakers, they are made By Axiom to Bryston Specs and you would fine quite some similarities between the 2 except Bryston has more refinements.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Thanks for your time!
can you elaborate on the "issues" your having with the QS8's. how long have you had your axiom speakers? 11 x 13 is not a big area so it shouldn't take much to get some good pressurization to fill that space.

how are the current speakers "not" meeting your needs and when did you determine they weren't? or do you just want a change?

also, how loudly do you listen to your speakers? again, small to medium space + apartment living means unless you know or want to know the cops by name you can't have it too loud!

I'm just curious and also, those answers will help people give you better responses understanding the what/why about your situation.
55" Sony SXRD & TCL 55P605 4K
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
What about Bryston Speakers, they are made By Axiom to Bryston Specs and you would fine quite some similarities between the 2 except Bryston has more refinements.

I'll take a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
can you elaborate on the "issues" your having with the QS8's. how long have you had your axiom speakers? 11 x 13 is not a big area so it shouldn't take much to get some good pressurization to fill that space.

how are the current speakers "not" meeting your needs and when did you determine they weren't? or do you just want a change?

also, how loudly do you listen to your speakers? again, small to medium space + apartment living means unless you know or want to know the cops by name you can't have it too loud!

I'm just curious and also, those answers will help people give you better responses understanding the what/why about your situation.

The QS8 sounds blown, and doesn't get as loud as the other. It sounds almost reversed and i switched sides and the issue persisted. Support suggested maybe the speaker needed the leads switched so i did that and the issue persisted. I reset the receiver and tried it on another receiver and the issue persist. Not under warranty so I don't Really feel like purchasing the same speaker.
I've had the same set of speakers for about 15 years I'd say I listen to my speakers slightly loud on the weekends during the day for about 1 film, My downstairs neighbor (I live in a 2 family unit) is gone during this time so It doesn't really matter. I wouldn't go that loud when people are home or trying to sleep.
After 15-16 years I'd like a change. They sound OK but I am looking for something that would be versatile with Movies and Electronic music. (EBM Synthpop and whatnot) and a lot of 80's and some various other rock/80's pop
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-18-2017), Scarriere (04-27-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Martin Logan ESL's

Forward to 10:20
JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SCXL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Paradigm Studio Sub 15 , Anthem MRX 720,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 TB hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet.Sennheiser RS160 Earphones. Panasonic A410-32 LED TV. Sony PS4 2tb,Xbox One.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Budget?
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-18-2017), solarrdadd (04-30-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #7

Apr 2017

I was thinking around the 1500 range, with used not being out of the question. Was going to look at some B&W choices for mains.I'm going to head to bestbuy for a listen to those ML's!

I also heard about some Crossover upgrades for the M22s I might look into!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
I was thinking around the 1500 range, with used not being out of the question. Was going to look at some B&W choices for mains.I'm going to head to bestbuy for a listen to those ML's!

You could also go with some Brand new Axiom speakers.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 AM   #9

May 2009

Quote:

Keep us posted! If you are looking for ML's I'd search on the used market, and possibly save around 50% right off the bat...

Below is just an example, I bet this guy would consider a $1700 - $2000 offer. But in return,...you are getting a great pair of speakers which can be utilized in the long run. Then again, I've never owned any ML gear, but have heard their top end stuff.....super transparent and detailed...good luck on your search!

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/pl...5-cleveland-oh
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Thanks given by:
sevenx7 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Personally I would wait until I get a house first before I do any upgrading, especially to Dolby Atmos, then you can play your sound system as loud as you want, without worrying about disturbing your neighbors, and getting complaints from them. When you're spending good money on a good sound system, you want to have the freedom to enjoy it without any restrictions. If you do decide to get ceiling speakers, you will need to get permission from the manager to install ceiling speakers because, they may not want the tenant to make any room modifications to their property and drill large holes on the ceiling for speakers. Management may consent to it or they may not. Also you need to take into consideration is that, if you decide to move, then you will be required to repair and restore the ceiling back to it's original condition after you remove the speakers, and if you don't, you will lose your security deposit. Consult the manager first before you do anything.

Last edited by slimdude; 05-05-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Thanks given by:
sonic_debauchery (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #11

May 2009

Quote:
I'll take a look!

The QS8 sounds blown, and doesn't get as loud as the other. It sounds almost reversed and i switched sides and the issue persisted. Support suggested maybe the speaker needed the leads switched so i did that and the issue persisted. I reset the receiver and tried it on another receiver and the issue persist. Not under warranty so I don't Really feel like purchasing the same speaker.
I've had the same set of speakers for about 15 years I'd say I listen to my speakers slightly loud on the weekends during the day for about 1 film, My downstairs neighbor (I live in a 2 family unit) is gone during this time so It doesn't really matter. I wouldn't go that loud when people are home or trying to sleep.
After 15-16 years I'd like a change.
They sound OK but I am looking for something that would be versatile with Movies and Electronic music. (EBM Synthpop and whatnot) and a lot of 80's and some various other rock/80's pop

Sounds like you don't need your own home right now to get high grade speakers...especially if you have an opportunity to crank up the tunes during the day when your neighbor is out. But if you really want atmos in an apartment, then what slimdude suggested about the ceiling is a great point.

I standby my recommendation.....Go with a really good 2 channel setup for now, you'll be amazed at the improvement, especially for music....oh my,..

keep us in the loop...and no need to rush on anything, take your time...
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-19-2017), Dwayne (05-04-2017), prerich (05-04-2017), sevenx7 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #12

Apr 2017

I will keep everyone posted! I'll be heading to a showroom Saturday!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

I'm with Slimdude, and Krelldog1977 on this one . Until you get a house, I would not purchase elaborate speaker's, and holding off on the ATMOS set up. If you can afford the high end speaker's, and the ATMOS module's, that's great . It would be terrible to not be able to crank up great quality speaker's when you want to .
7.2 Denon 4520c.i. AVR, Sony 65" 4K HDR X900E, Monster HTS-1600, AMD Custom Built Computer/Media Player, Polk Audio RTi 12 Speaker's-Main's, Polk Audio CS-2 Center, JBL ES 80 Speaker's Surround, Polk Monitor 60 Surround Back, Acoustech 12" PL 200 Sub, Polk Audio 10" PSW 110 Sub, Sony BDP 570-SACD, Panasonic BDP 360 2.0 Onkyo 809 AVR, Polk Audio Monitor 70s, Audio Technica AT-LP-120
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Thanks given by:
prerich (05-19-2017), sonic_debauchery (05-05-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
I'm in full agreement here

Quote:
Excellent questions SunnyDee!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
A trusty SPL meter or app would come in handy for that question ...........

And SunnyDee!!!!!!!!!!!

One can live in an apartment, have a kicking system and avoid the police .................. I'm living proof *

[Show spoiler]Although the system I have in the room his size 11 x 13 (my office) has a smaller but effective system .........

Quote:
Indeed they will

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Personally I would wait until I get a house first before I do any upgrading, especially to Dolby Atmos, then you can play your sound system as loud as you want, without worrying about disturbing your neighbors, and getting complaints from them. When you're spending good money on a good sound system, you want to have the freedom to enjoy it without any restrictions. If you do decide to get ceiling speakers, you will need to get permission from the manager to install ceiling speakers because, they may not want the tenant to make any room modifications to their property and drill large holes on the ceiling for speakers. Management may consent to it or they may not. Also you need to take into consideration is that, if you decide to move, then you will be required to repair and restore the ceiling back to it's original condition after you remove the speakers, and if you don't, you will lose your security deposit. Consult the manager first before you do anything.
I REALLY don't see what home ownership has to do with a obtaining a great home theater system
[Show spoiler](outside of the word home )
although what you said about mounting ceiling speakers can come into play...

But I truly believe a room that small couldn't support an ATMOS system anyway ...... Well maybe a 5.1.2 configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
Sounds like you don't need your own home right now to get high grade speakers...especially if you have an opportunity to crank up the tunes during the day when your neighbor is out. But if you really want atmos in an apartment, then what slimdude suggested about the ceiling is a great point.
I really wonder why people want to fill small rooms with a lot of speakers.

Quote:
I standby my recommendation.....Go with a really good 2 channel setup for now, you'll be amazed at the improvement, especially for music....oh my,..
That's a idea ............... yet his room could support a 5.1 system for surround duties

Quote:
keep us in the loop...and no need to rush on anything, take your time...
Yes ................... I'm dying to find out what you decide

Quote:
I will keep everyone posted! I'll be heading to a showroom Saturday!
I'm looking forward to your report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I'm with Slimdude, and Krelldog1977 on this one . Until you get a house, I would not purchase elaborate speaker's, and holding off on the ATMOS set up. If you can afford the high end speaker's, and the ATMOS module's, that's great . It would be terrible to not be able to crank up great quality speaker's when you want to .
Personally .................... I don't see home ownership and nice home theater systems as mutually exclusive ...........

Why do you need a house ?......... Unless you're building a dedicated theater ...... I have three systems in my apartment that function quite well
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #15

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Agreed
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
[B][I]

Personally .................... I don't see home ownership and nice home theater systems as mutually exclusive ...........

Why do you need a house ?......... Unless you're building a dedicated theater ...... I have three systems in my apartment that function quite well
Well some landlords can be pretty tough on renters. If you are going to put up a HT with mounted speakers/Atmos - you will need to make sure everything is like it was when you moved in. My brother moved into a place and before we put one stick in it - I told him to take pictures of everything - wall plates, any picture holes that may be in the walls already. You have some people that will try to get over on you. I had an awesome landlord (I eventually bought the house from him). You don't find many like the one I had, but there are some things I wanted to do but didn't because I didn't own the house yet.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Well some landlords can be pretty tough on renters. If you are going to put up a HT with mounted speakers/Atmos - you will need to make sure everything is like it was when you moved in. My brother moved into a place and before we put one stick in it - I told him to take pictures of everything - wall plates, any picture holes that may be in the walls already. You have some people that will try to get over on you. I had an awesome landlord (I eventually bought the house from him). You don't find many like the one I had, but there are some things I wanted to do but didn't because I didn't own the house yet.
I see your point ......................

I guess living in a hi-rise building gives me an advantage ................
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
Thanks given by:
prerich (05-19-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers