Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

Jul 2011
Default Dolby Atmos Setup

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out what the best speaker setup would be for playing Dolby atmos. I know atmos content is still limited so I want speakers that will play regular 5.1 mixes just as well. Will be using primarily for movies. I'm considering Definitive Technology, Pioneer, Klipsch and possibly Elac. Just wanted to get some opinions on which speakers sound the best. Here are a couple bundles that I found on Amazon that I'm considering. Curious to see what you guys think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2R817KUZV0MAD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 AM   #2
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anothrworld View Post
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out what the best speaker setup would be for playing Dolby atmos. I know atmos content is still limited so I want speakers that will play regular 5.1 mixes just as well. Will be using primarily for movies. I'm considering Definitive Technology, Pioneer, Klipsch and possibly Elac. Just wanted to get some opinions on which speakers sound the best. Here are a couple bundles that I found on Amazon that I'm considering. Curious to see what you guys think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2R817KUZV0MAD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
Do you happen to have speakers already?

The def tech you liked are pretty good but if you own some decent speaker alredy you could add to them some in ceiling speaker to complete 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 and that is technically better than relying on up-firing speaker and your ceiling to reflect the sound.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #3

Jul 2011

I do currently have a 5.1 system but the speakers and receiver are lower end and I was planning on upgrading everything just to get a better listening experience. The upward firing speakers appeal to me a little more just so I don't have to go through the hassle of installing in ceiling speakers. I went to best buy the other day and I heard a demo of some of the def tech B9040s and the Pioneer SP-EFS73s. I was actually really impressed with how the pioneers sounded and they are probably more within my budget. They didn't have an atmos disc for me to listen on them but regular 5.1 mixes sounded great. Any idea how the atmos speakers sound on the pioneers?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
I do currently have a 5.1 system but the speakers and receiver are lower end and I was planning on upgrading everything just to get a better listening experience. The upward firing speakers appeal to me a little more just so I don't have to go through the hassle of installing in ceiling speakers. I went to best buy the other day and I heard a demo of some of the def tech B9040s and the Pioneer SP-EFS73s. I was actually really impressed with how the pioneers sounded and they are probably more within my budget. They didn't have an atmos disc for me to listen on them but regular 5.1 mixes sounded great. Any idea how the atmos speakers sound on the pioneers?
Sorry I don't but I would think they match pretty well what you heard as it ois buil in the speaker, but it also depend on your room, Do you have standard 8 foot ceiling?, I think that would work best for you as you could take advantage of the reflection on the ceiling. I would suggest also to look into Klipsch as for HT they are a very good choice also, Klipsch also has the option either of Built in Atmos speaker in the tower or you can also get them separate mounted on top of the speaker cabinets.I you give me your total budget maybe I can sway you another route than the Pioneer but I know they m ust be a good bang for the buck.

Honestly they have a good deal on the Pioneers for all 5 speakers as if you were to buy seperatly it would cost you a lot more I'd go for them as there is only 3 left.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest

Last edited by BigAl87; 05-16-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:52 AM   #5

Jul 2011

Now I can't decide if I should go with the upward firing speakers or the in ceiling. My room size is about 15x15 and the ceiling height is 8 ft. For a room that size is it recommended to use the atmos enabled speakers? Would in ceiling speakers be too close? I'm just trying to get the best possible sound I can with a budget of around 2500. There's so much information on the web and everyone seems to have a different opinion so it's really difficult to decide:/
Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Now I can't decide if I should go with the upward firing speakers or the in ceiling. My room size is about 15x15 and the ceiling height is 8 ft. For a room that size is it recommended to use the atmos enabled speakers? Would in ceiling speakers be too close? I'm just trying to get the best possible sound I can with a budget of around 2500. There's so much information on the web and everyone seems to have a different opinion so it's really difficult to decide:/
Real Dolby Atmos sound features ceiling speakers in a commercial Dolby Atmos equipped theater, and to emulate true Dolby Atmos sound as much as possible, you would want to purchase and install ceiling speakers. Top firing speakers are acceptable and easier to connect without doing extensive work to install ceiling speakers, but you probably won't hear and experience the real effect, as it is in a Dolby Atmos theater. 9 times out of 10, the ceiling speakers will sound much better, and it will be worth it.

Last edited by slimdude; 05-17-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Thanks given by:
BigAl87 (05-16-2017), Dwayne (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
To know how True Atmos System are built just go on Dolby Atmos Website and you will see available configs.

As for Divergent opinions between people it is completely normal, this is why there is so many Speaker manufacturer.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #8

Jul 2017

So I've got a 9.2 Martin Logan setup with a Marantz 7010 powering my speakers and a X800 UHD Player. I currently have a set of front height speakers and surround backs. When I'm listening to a Dolby Atmos enabled movie the Marantz receiver shows that it's outputting in Dolby Atmos or at least Decoding the sound. Am I experiencing atmos with the speaker configuration I currently have setup? I've tried to amp assign my Surrounds and heights as Atmos enabled speakers but the receiver doesn't show them playing during that configuration.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #9

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaneHammer View Post
So I've got a 9.2 Martin Logan setup with a Marantz 7010 powering my speakers and a X800 UHD Player. I currently have a set of front height speakers and surround backs. When I'm listening to a Dolby Atmos enabled movie the Marantz receiver shows that it's outputting in Dolby Atmos or at least Decoding the sound. Am I experiencing atmos with the speaker configuration I currently have setup? I've tried to amp assign my Surrounds and heights as Atmos enabled speakers but the receiver doesn't show them playing during that configuration.

Thanks
For Dolby Atmos decoding and rendering to be activated requires a pair or either height or ceiling speakers and your screen height speakers achieves this.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers