Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Christopher Nolan Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
€69.90

Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
€14.26

The Girl in the Fog (Blu-ray)
€10.00

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
€13.89

U2: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris (Blu-ray)
€13.99
14 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
€22.34

The Funhouse (Blu-ray)
€26.93
5 hrs ago
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
€13.44

Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
€6.50

Jurassic Park III 4K (Blu-ray)
€17.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
€70.00

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
€20.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy

Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #61
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim View Post
if I get some free time this evening, I'll try the DVD track.
Well, I have spent a couple of hours trying to get this to work. To anyone who wants to use this track for their project, be aware that you will also need Rigby's mix, as the Mono audio from the DVD is shorter (of course, it's a shorter version of the film, but several scenes that are in both versions are shorter here). I have decided that after figuring out where my mix went bad (4 places), I am going to repair my old track rather than starting all over again. It shouldn't take long to do, and since I have a ton of projects going, it will be the most sensible route to take.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #62
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Did you ever have a go at using the Italian mono as your base and dropping in the English dialogue when necessary from Rigby's mix? After getting around to comparing the Italian lossless mono and the English lossy mono, I have to agree with you that the former is a huge jump in fidelity.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #63
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Did you ever have a go at using the Italian mono as your base and dropping in the English dialogue when necessary from Rigby's mix? After getting around to comparing the Italian lossless mono and the English lossy mono, I have to agree with you that the former is a huge jump in fidelity.
I did actually, but the jump in fidelity also creates a problem - inconsistency. As an example - many times the foley overlaps the dialogue and vice versa. At that point in time, you have to decide whether or not to try to crossfade the two elements, or use only the English track. At other times you can use only the Italian track, since much of the foley doesn't have dialogue on top. Crossfading the two elements sounds distracting (like the newly recorded voices, but there we don't have a choice). So the result is a somewhat jumpy affair, going from sounding alive and dynamic to muted and muffled. I opted for the lower quality end result and consistency rather than dealing with this problem (I'm sure some people are able to get this sounding just right, but I don't have the knowledge needed about EQ). I haven't actually watched the film in Italian yet, so the next time I watch it I'm going to use my custom English subtitle file with this track. You or anyone else here are welcome to this file if you decide to just watch the film in Italian, just let me know.

But now I have fixed my old track as well, so now everything should be good to go!

EDIT: Oh, one issue that can't be avoided without editing the very end of the video (I decided against this and left it out of sync). The Italian version is slightly longer at the very end than the MGM (when Tuco screams "just a dirty son of a bi*ch"). In the Italian version the line is longer, so the "A-a-a-a" that's supposed to play right when he says "bi*ch" is too soon. You can see him mouthing the words as the A-a-a-a plays on the soundtrack. I tried stretching the line he says on the English soundtrack, but it didn't work without Tuco sounding like an alien. Some of you may choose to use the Italian line instead, even if the voice actor sounds very different.

Oh, and one other thing (like Columbo, lol). If you're using the dialogue from the 5.1, you have to carefully mix the tracks if you want to output to mono. You can't just mix and render all the tracks in Audacity without creating phasing issues. Some of the dialogue are on rear channels as well as the front channels. If you plan to leave it as a 5.1/1.0 hybrid then there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Prim; 03-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #64
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim View Post
Oh, and one other thing (like Columbo, lol). If you're using the dialogue from the 5.1, you have to carefully mix the tracks if you want to output to mono. You can't just mix and render all the tracks in Audacity without creating phasing issues. Some of the dialogue are on rear channels as well as the front channels. If you plan to leave it as a 5.1/1.0 hybrid then there shouldn't be a problem.
Would this still be a problem if I run Rigby's script as 2 channel instead of 6? As in, rip the .dts track from the US Blu-ray and downmix it to 2 channel, and then run Rigby's script (changing the NicLPCMSource call from 6 to 2)

Last edited by EddieLarkin; 03-02-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #65
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Would this still be a problem if I run Rigby's script as 2 channel instead of 6?
I don't believe so, if you keep the 2.0 output (use the DD 2.0 track). The two places I had problems were right at the beginning of the desert walk sequence with Blondie & Tuco (Tuco says "I always get thirsty when I'm in the desert" and then shoots Blondies canteen), and a small part of a line when they're in the church later on (Tuco says "it had to happen now", when Blondie recovers in the bed). That's it. Both of those lines are separated into several tracks in the mix, so combining them created phasing. If you are going to downmix to 1.0 mono, please check those places in the film before output. To be honest, I can not remember if I used the 5.1 or the 2.0 track for my old composite. Now - this is not to say that there are no more phasing issues in the film. These are just the only ones I heard when watching it, so be careful and take your time.

Last edited by Prim; 03-02-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #66

Feb 2013

I imported bit perfect captures of 3 PCM audio tracks (1990 LD, 1993 LD box set, 1998 LD) into Audacity, along with the PCM audio from the BBC BD. I still to need to decide which LD track I'm going to use. Most probably I'll use the 98 LD since the film cut is more complete than the other 2 LD releases.

The next step is to combine the tracks from the 3 sides of the LD into one continuous track. I'll use the other LDs as a guide for this. Then I will upsample to 48kHz and start the syncing process with the BBC PCM track.

Will update soon...

Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #67

Feb 2013

One year later and BBC has yet again been released on blu-ray in Italy. This time around the distributor is 01 Distribution/RAI Cinema S.p.a. and the EAN is 8032807051796.

Is there any difference between this new release and previous issues? Same master? Different encode? Region 2 locked?

Last edited by eurospec19; 12-19-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #68

May 2011
Rome, Italy

It should be merely a reprint (the Mondo release is peerless), but if it's 01, probably it's going to be B-locked.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #69

Feb 2013

You're probably right given the fact that their other titles are region locked. I'd like to know if it's not a VC-1 encode. Just out of curiosity.

Last edited by eurospec19; 12-21-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #70

Feb 2013

Any further info on this recent release? Reprint? AVC encode?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #71
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

This is weird:

Amazon.it doesn't list an English audio track on the NEW Italian blu ray

However, it does list an English audio track on the NEW Italian DVD, released on the same date as the new blu ray, from the same studio and the same cover..

It doesn't list an English track on the OLD Italian DVD btw.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #72
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

Amazon often get their specs mixed up
Maybe someone could buy and see. If there IS an English track, this could be a possible alternative to the forthcoming remastered MGM disc if it isnt up to scratch.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #73
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Italy

The Mondo is still the way to go, right?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #74

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakulinchuk View Post
The Mondo is still the way to go, right?
For Italian speakers, it's probably the best of the bunch. It avoids the "gold wash" most of them have, and isn't as bright. It might come down to personal taste.

Last edited by CompleteCount; 08-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Thanks given by:
Vakulinchuk (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #75
Special Member

Jun 2010

Yes, the new one isn't really good.
And no English audio, either.
Pete
Thanks given by:
Vakulinchuk (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #76

Dec 2010
-
-
-
-
-

Mondo is unavailable on Amazon.it last time I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #77

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

If you are in Italy, this is a pretty good price, but some confusion as on the listing as to it it's the Blu or not...

https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B003IVI0GE/ref=tmm_blu_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid =1502729935&sr=1-4

Is this just a re-release?

https://www.amazon.it/Il-Buono-Brutto-Cattivo-Blu-Ray/dp/B06WWC1TRN/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1502729507&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=cativo
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #78
Special Member

Jun 2010

It isn't a re-release, it's a new transfer.
Pete
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy