Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 AM   #241

Sep 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

Im picking up one of the sa-wm40's tomorrow and im gonna do this over the weekend. Im interested in seeing the difference.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #242
Mad Scientist

Jun 2008
Milwaukee

Soooooo, should I actually be setting my l/r mains as "large" in the amp due to the fact they have passive radiators?
I don't want you to be like the guy in the PG-13 movie that everyone's really hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet...you're not sure where he's coming from.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #243

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
Soooooo, should I actually be setting my l/r mains as "large" in the amp due to the fact they have passive radiators?
Short answer - no, not really.

Long answer - If you have a subwoofer, it's generally best practice to set your speakers to small and just let the sub handle all low frequencies. The best way I can explain why is as follows: The subwoofer location can vary (restricted only by where in your room you can fit it without it being in the way) whereas the mains pretty much have a fixed location, determined by setting them a certain distance apart (equal to the distance they are from the listening position if you are able to follow that guideline to the T). This is a big deal because of the way bass interacts with the room (room modes). The best place(s) to place a subwoofer in your room to get the smoothest, most accurate bass response is hardly ever where your mains will be placed. If you let your mains handle the low frequencies, you will most likely get all sorts of peaks/nulls at the listening position due to interactions with the room modes (even worse is if the two mains are different distances from the boundaries, meaning each of them will be interacting with the room modes differently, causing even more of a mess). Not to mention you'll run into phase cancellation issues between the two mains and the sub (if you allow both to play the low frequencies). I would personally only recommend setting the mains to large if/when you use them for 2 ch. music and you want to hear it without bass management and the subwoofer.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #244

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
If your receiver has adjustments for crossovers, you should let it control all the crossovers. By turning the crossover dial on the back of the subwoofer all the way up to its maximum point, you are taking it out of the equation and let the receiver control everything. By doing this, the subwoofer can accept all frequencies that the receiver is sending to it. You should do the following:[LIST=1][*]Turn the crossover dial on the back of the subwoofer all the way up to its maximum point.[*]Turn the level on the back of the subwoofer to around 50%. You can adjust it a little later.[*]Place your subwoofer up front in a corner about a foot or so away from the side walls.[*]In the receiver's menu, make sure all speakers and the subwoofer are set to YES.[*]In the receiver's menu, set all speakers to SMALL.[*]In the receiver's menu, set the crossover (high pass filters) for the speakers to 80Hz. Check the manual for your speakers. Make sure the crossover settings for the speakers are at least 10Hz to 20Hz above the minimum +/-3dB frequency ratings of the speakers.[*]If your receiver offers a separate crossover option for the subwoofer (low pass filter of LFE), set it to 120Hz.
Greetings-
I originally set up my speakers using the 'auto setup' mode in my Denon S500BT. This set up produced a nice sound, but I noticed it did not match the settings in this post.
Using the manual set up feature, I changed all the settings according to this post and now I do not have any bass coming from my subwoofers ( I have two). The subwoofers will not even act like they are receiving a signal.
I reset my Denon back to factory default and used the 'auto set up' and my subwoofers are now working again.

Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #245

Jan 2015

Anybody?
Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #246

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
Greetings-
I originally set up my speakers using the 'auto setup' mode in my Denon S500BT. This set up produced a nice sound, but I noticed it did not match the settings in this post.
Using the manual set up feature, I changed all the settings according to this post and now I do not have any bass coming from my subwoofers ( I have two). The subwoofers will not even act like they are receiving a signal.
I reset my Denon back to factory default and used the 'auto set up' and my subwoofers are now working again.

Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

Thanks for the help.
What did you mean by the bolded section?

Asking because if the auto setup has all your speakers working, then the only manual settings you would change would be minor tweaks to individual speaker levels, maybe distance if it wasn't accurate.
TV: Samsung 55" 3D LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; HDTV cable; Dell 7010 SFF | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); UPA-5 | Fronts: JBL Studio 590 | Center: JBL Studio 520C| Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: SVS Prime Elevations
Old 01-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #247

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkscream View Post
What did you mean by the bolded section?

Asking because if the auto setup has all your speakers working, then the only manual settings you would change would be minor tweaks to individual speaker levels, maybe distance if it wasn't accurate.
Thanks for the reply.

The auto setting set one of my front speaker to LARGE and it also set my subwoofers to LFE+Main.

When I set all my speakers to SMALL and the subwoofers to LFE only, the subwoofers no longer worked.

I will try again this afternoon.

thanks again.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #248

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The auto setting set one of my front speaker to LARGE and it also set my subwoofers to LFE+Main.

When I set all my speakers to SMALL and the subwoofers to LFE only, the subwoofers no longer worked.

I will try again this afternoon.

thanks again.
That's really interesting. Make note of where the crossovers are set for your speakers and your subwoofers. Maybe there's a discrepancy there.
TV: Samsung 55" 3D LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; HDTV cable; Dell 7010 SFF | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); UPA-5 | Fronts: JBL Studio 590 | Center: JBL Studio 520C| Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: SVS Prime Elevations
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #249
Special Member

Jul 2007
Tally
Default A Guide to Subwoofers (Part I): Characteristics, Placement, & Adjustments

So maybe it has more to do with room acoustics, but what is the proper way to address not hearing the sub as well in a particular spot?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #250

Mar 2010
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister184 View Post
So maybe it has more to do with room acoustics, but what is the proper way to address not hearing the sub as well in a particular spot?
I would suggest the "subwoofer crawl." Search here or the Internet, you'll find many how-tos. Briefly, you set the subwoofer in your primary listening position, then move about the room while running test sounds/tones, crouching so your ears are about level with listening height. The spot where the bass is most audible, that's where to place the sub.

Or are you saying there's a null somewhere in the room other than the primary listening position? That might be more of a challenge, probably remedied by a dual sub configuration (which many recommend).
"... Because I loathe bananas!" Zira
My BD collection. My reviews. My hi-fi setup. Costco deals thread.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #251
Special Member

Jul 2007
Tally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I would suggest the "subwoofer crawl." Search here or the Internet, you'll find many how-tos. Briefly, you set the subwoofer in your primary listening position, then move about the room while running test sounds/tones, crouching so your ears are about level with listening height. The spot where the bass is most audible, that's where to place the sub.
Thanks! I hadn't heard of that before but that seems like what needs to be done. I'll give it shot. Now ill have to explain to my wife why there's a sub randomly placed in the living room
Old 10-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #252

Oct 2016

Hi,
I'm having some issues with bass cancelling.
I have a 2.0 active system and a separate active subwoofer. I can't change the polarity to either of them, except the left speaker of the 2.0 system.
The subwoofer has an RCA mono input line. I was wondering if changing the polarity of the connecting cable would do the trick? The cable is a jack 3.5 > RCA connected to a 7.1 soundcard.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #253
Expert Member

Feb 2009

I need some input. I just ordered a 75Ē Sony 4K TV a few days ago to replace my 61Ē DLP RPTV. Because of the size of the new TV, Iím going to have to push my mains out more. My problem is, I donít have sufficient enough space to do so. My TV, right main, and one of my subs will literally be touching one another. Because of this, I wonít even be able to toe my mains in to the listening position.

My question is, do I need to have a sub up front? Will I encounter any performance issues if I move it to the back with my other sub and place it in the opposite corner? If Iím able to put both of my subs in the back, that would free up a lot of much needed space up front. My subs are 17Ē wide. Iíve tried doing a side wall placement with my subs before when I first set it up, but the subs didnít perform as well as they do in the corners. My room is roughly 11í x 13í.
Display - Sony XBR-75X900E
Receiver
- Pioneer Elite SC-05
Blu-ray/4K player - Sony UPB-X800
Fronts - Klipsch RF-82II's
Center - Klipsch RC-62II
Rears - Klipsch RS-52II's (x4)
Subs - Definitive Technology PF 15TL+ (x2)
Power Conditioner - Monster Power HDP 2500 Remote - Harmony One
Old 11-25-2017, 04:24 AM   #254
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post
I need some input. I just ordered a 75Ē Sony 4K TV a few days ago to replace my 61Ē DLP RPTV. Because of the size of the new TV, Iím going to have to push my mains out more. My problem is, I donít have sufficient enough space to do so. My TV, right main, and one of my subs will literally be touching one another. Because of this, I wonít even be able to toe my mains in to the listening position.

My question is, do I need to have a sub up front? Will I encounter any performance issues if I move it to the back with my other sub and place it in the opposite corner? If Iím able to put both of my subs in the back, that would free up a lot of much needed space up front. My subs are 17Ē wide. Iíve tried doing a side wall placement with my subs before when I first set it up, but the subs didnít perform as well as they do in the corners. My room is roughly 11í x 13í.
No you don't necessarily need either of your subs up front. However, it's impossible to know how everything will sound together in your room until you move it to the back and try it out. I have both of mine in the back and they're working well together, but I did recently add a miniDSP 2x4 to my system to improve how they perform in my living room.
Steve
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers