Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

Aug 2013
Los Angeles
Default Subwoofer Power Switch Setting Question

All of the subwoofers I have owned have had a Power On all the time setting or an AUTO/Standby setting that kicks on when the sub receives a signal from the amp. I know there can sometimes be quirks with the Auto setting so I have always left my subs always in the ON setting all the time. Do you think this matters? Or tasks the sub amp life at all? Just curious as I just had 2 lousy Klipsch subs die within a week of each other and I always had them set to ON. Thanks for any insight here.
7.2.4 Dedicated Home Theater 3x Klipsch Pro-7800 L THX (L,C,R), 4x Klipsch CP-6 elevation speakers, 2x Klipsch G-28 (Surround L,R), 2x Klipsch G-16 (Surround Back L,R), 2x SVS PC-2000 subwoofers, EPSON 6500UB projector, 103" SeymourAV acoustically transparent screen, 4x ADX Maximus bass shakers, Denon x6200 receiver, Niles Audio SI-250 amplifier, Dayton Audio SA-230 subwoofer amplifier, Monster Home Theater HTS 1700 PowerCenter, Panasonic BDT-460 blu-ray player.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #2

Jan 2011
British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntim View Post
All of the subwoofers I have owned have had a Power On all the time setting or an AUTO/Standby setting that kicks on when the sub receives a signal from the amp. I know there can sometimes be quirks with the Auto setting so I have always left my subs always in the ON setting all the time. Do you think this matters? Or tasks the sub amp life at all? Just curious as I just had 2 lousy Klipsch subs die within a week of each other and I always had them set to ON. Thanks for any insight here.
I would say yes, leaving your subwoofer on even when you're not listening to it will shorten it's lifespan as there's still current going through it even though it's not under load. It's no different than leaving your A/V receiver on 24/7 when you're not watching anything.

I have my subs plugged into a power conditioner that has a bank of switched outlets and they get switched on and off by my receiver (trigger 1) that way I can leave the main switch in the off position and the power conditioner controls when they come on and turn off.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Display: LG 65UH7650 65 in. 4K Super UHD Smart LED TV
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1325-K
Speakers: Front: Klipsch RF-82, Centre: Klipsch RC-52, Surround: Klipsch RB-61
Subs: Klipsch RW-12D X 2 & RPW-10
Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Power Conditioner: Ethereal ESP602R Power Manager 2000
Thanks given by:
bakntim (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

Aug 2013
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek_t View Post
I would say yes, leaving your subwoofer on even when you're not listening to it will shorten it's lifespan as there's still current going through it even though it's not under load. It's no different than leaving your A/V receiver on 24/7 when you're not watching anything.

I have my subs plugged into a power conditioner that has a bank of switched outlets and they get switched on and off by my receiver (trigger 1) that way I can leave the main switch in the off position and the power conditioner controls when they come on and turn off.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you for that insight. Good stuff to think about.
7.2.4 Dedicated Home Theater 3x Klipsch Pro-7800 L THX (L,C,R), 4x Klipsch CP-6 elevation speakers, 2x Klipsch G-28 (Surround L,R), 2x Klipsch G-16 (Surround Back L,R), 2x SVS PC-2000 subwoofers, EPSON 6500UB projector, 103" SeymourAV acoustically transparent screen, 4x ADX Maximus bass shakers, Denon x6200 receiver, Niles Audio SI-250 amplifier, Dayton Audio SA-230 subwoofer amplifier, Monster Home Theater HTS 1700 PowerCenter, Panasonic BDT-460 blu-ray player.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

Apr 2017

I have my subs set up on a trigger cable, so when my processor turns on the subs do as well. Is this not an option for you?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #5

Aug 2013
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpamjoce View Post
I have my subs set up on a trigger cable, so when my processor turns on the subs do as well. Is this not an option for you?
Possibly. I’ll look into it. My subs are really far away from my equipment which I have in a separate closet and are a bit of a hassle runnng wires to. Thank you!

Last edited by bakntim; 11-19-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Dec 2009

I was going to ask the same question that BaknTim proposed since I wondered if keep it off when I'm not using it could extend the life of the plate amplifier.

For all who replied: Could you guys post the 12-volt trigger switches or power conditioners you mentioned? I'd love to pick one up!!
Tron Legacy on my HT

Pioneer Elite SC-27 + Emotiva XPA-5
Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 11 v6
Center: Paradigm CC-390
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor 9 v6
Backs: Pair of Hsu Research HIW-1s
Sub: Dual Epik Empires
Old 11-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzYme View Post
I was going to ask the same question that BaknTim proposed since I wondered if keep it off when I'm not using it could extend the life of the plate amplifier.

For all who replied: Could you guys post the 12-volt trigger switches or power conditioners you mentioned? I'd love to pick one up!!
The 12-volt trigger should be on the back of your Pioneer, you have 2 assignable slots. If you need more slots, look at something like this:

https://emotiva.com/product/et-3/
Old 11-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Just to add to the conversation, I have a Velodyne VA-1012 bought in the mid- 90s and it is still working after having it on almost continuously for 22 years. The only time it has been off is when I unplug it from the wall during thunderstorms. Most newer amps draw less than 5 watts of power when they are not getting a signal and are in their idle mode.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Thanks given by:
bakntim (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I have two subs from Power Sound Audio and they stay on 24/7. I was leaving them on auto initially but one of them makes a clicking sound when it turns on or off. My wife found it a little annoying so I just turned them both on and left them that way.
Steve
Thanks given by:
bakntim (11-26-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers