Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 11-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

Jun 2010
Greece
Greece A question about HDR and DOLBY VISION in 4k Discs

Hello all . I want to ask a question about hdr and dolby vision in 4k discs. All blue ray discs that have dolby vision has also and hdr? Is there any titles with only dolby vision? What happens if you got hdr tv only? Will the disc work? The reason I 'm asking this is, if all bd's that that dolby vision has hdr also too for compatible reasons with all tvs ,prolly I whould buy a Samsung tv. If not I have to go on oled. Thank you very much in advance XD

Last edited by Many; 11-24-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

Oct 2008
Lanus, Argentina

Hello, Blu rays do not have either HDR or Dolby Vision.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #3

Jun 2010
Greece

Small mistake XD. I meant 4k discs. I corrected it
Old 12-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #4
BD Test Disc Author

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many View Post
Hello all . I want to ask a question about hdr and dolby vision in 4k discs. All blue ray discs that have dolby vision has also and hdr? Is there any titles with only dolby vision? What happens if you got hdr tv only? Will the disc work? The reason I 'm asking this is, if all bd's that that dolby vision has hdr also too for compatible reasons with all tvs ,prolly I whould buy a Samsung tv. If not I have to go on oled. Thank you very much in advance XD
Dolby Vision is implemented on UHD discs as an extra stream running alongside the standard HDR stream. The HDR stream is completely normal and works with every HDR-capable TV, albeit with some issues relating to lack of standards around mapping HDR to the capabilities of the TV.

The extra Dolby Vision stream contains just the metadata and information needed for the Dolby Vision processor to add the additional features and dynamic range.

Or put more simply, all Dolby Vision discs are compatible with non-Dolby Vision TVs and players. Any player or TV without Dolby Vision support ignores the extra Dolby Vision information on discs that have Dolby Vision.

With streaming, services that support Dolby Vision could implement it the same way as on UHD disc, but alternatively they can just have two different HDR files on their servers - one with Dolby Vision and one plain HDR. The playback app or STB requests the appropriate stream based on the TV's capabilities. My understanding is that they mostly do the two full streams approach. Either way, they handle both kinds of TVs.

All that said, Dolby Vision is a nice upgrade to HDR; I personally think it's worth getting. But obviously you have to evaluate the tradeoffs for yourself.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #5

Jun 2010
Greece

Thank you very much for the response. I figured as much, but wanted to be sure XD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International