Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33
Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.00
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Two Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$165.00
Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.82
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Jack the Giant Slayer 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.89
The Lion of Judah 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Ocean Predators 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays

Old 12-02-2017, 02:42 AM   #1

Mar 2014
Default Thoughts on this Sony 3D TV?

Hello all

I have an opportunity to pick up a Sony KDL-70W830B BRAVIA W830B Premium Series - 70" Class (69.5" viewable) 3D LED TV.

What are your thoughts on this unit? Also I notice it says 3D digital technology. How might that deliver from what is advertised as passive 3D? Or what technology Samsung offered in their units?

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-k...-led-tv/specs/

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...=3#/manualsTab

Thanks for any feedback in advance. It would be very helpful.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho220 View Post
Hello all

I have an opportunity to pick up a Sony KDL-70W830B BRAVIA W830B Premium Series - 70" Class (69.5" viewable) 3D LED TV.

What are your thoughts on this unit? Also I notice it says 3D digital technology. How might that deliver from what is advertised as passive 3D? Or what technology Samsung offered in their units?

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-k...-led-tv/specs/

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...=3#/manualsTab

Thanks for any feedback in advance. It would be very helpful.
Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with this set.

However, the manual clearly states that this set uses active glasses. Because of the IR blaster, they are likely to be IR driven.

You are a bit confused in your Samsung terminology. The first Samsung 3D sets used IR active 3D glasses. The later sets used Bluetooth active 3D glasses. I don't know IF Samsung ever used passive glasses.

Passive glasses are used in LG Oled 3D displays. (And anyone who used LG Oled panels for their displays.)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 AM   #3

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with this set.

However, the manual clearly states that this set uses active glasses. Because of the IR blaster, they are likely to be IR driven.

You are a bit confused in your Samsung terminology. The first Samsung 3D sets used IR active 3D glasses. The later sets used Bluetooth active 3D glasses. I don't know IF Samsung ever used passive glasses.

Passive glasses are used in LG Oled 3D displays. (And anyone who used LG Oled panels for their displays.)

Hi there
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't saying Samsung used passive glasses.

I was asking was that this particular Sony TV I saw being advertised as "DIGITAL 3D." What I wanted to know is what is the difference between "DIGITAL 3D" and "PASSIVE" if there is any - and also asking is there any difference between those and whatever Samsung uses as their 3D technology. I know they don't use passive but I didn't know what the term was that they used.

I've really only heard of the terms passive and active to describe 3D technology is these televisions, so just trying to figure out what the difference is between it all and how it relates to this Sony unit describes as Digital 3D

It sounds like you are suggesting both this Sony and the Samsung units use active if I am gathering it all correctly?

Thanks for your reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 AM   #4

Mar 2014

As an UPDATE... I did in fact pick up this Sony unit in question. There is a 3D button on the remote that lets you change 3D settings on the screen for whatever you are watching - not just a 3D blu-ray. I've not seen that option on the Samsung 3D TV I have.

Maybe that is the difference in terminology? Digital 3D allows you to set the screen to 3D on anything coming across the TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Is this TV active 3D?

Some TVs do 3D on-the-fly, while others just display a 3D movie that has been pre-recorded.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays