Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 05:01 AM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectB View Post
Akiraís Japanese 192khz 24bit 5.1 remaster on Blu Ray is one of the most immerssive tracks on Blu Ray yet (the original soundtrack was 4:2:4 or Dolby Stereo)
its not only immersive, but the dynamic range is extremely wide
Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #22

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
its not only immersive, but the dynamic range is extremely wide
I forgot that, thank you.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:24 AM   #23
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Standing right behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Digital *recording* or digital *exhibition*? They're not the same thing. Fantasia was re-recorded in 1982 via digital means. The first film exhibited with digital sound was Batman Returns in 1992 via the Dolby Digital system.
Many titles were exhibited in the CDS digital format years before Dolby Digital was introduced. I definitely remember Dick Tracy, The Doors and Terminator 2 among others
Old 11-13-2017, 03:24 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by notops View Post
Many titles were exhibited in the CDS digital format years before Dolby Digital was introduced. I definitely remember Dick Tracy, The Doors and Terminator 2 among others
Terminator 2 in CDS was a juggernaut of a sound mix.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:25 AM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Top Gun was 1986 which was Dolby Surround, with the DTS on the DVD it was a major jump over Dolby Digital. DTS-MA 6.1 channels was a huge upgrade over the DTS on the DVD.

HDMI cable CBC
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever! In home theater and in life, itís my firm belief that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR! Canadian hero "Your like a gas leak, we don't see you, we don't smell you, but your silently killing us all." PSN: blurules
Old 12-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
Special Member

Nov 2008
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

I thought the job done for the Tora! Tora! Tora! Blu-ray was very good. The film had a 6-track 70mm mix, and 4-track for 35mm along with Mono optical. Any mix that faithfully adheres to the original intent would be my personal goal, but I'm not opposed to newer mixes that are well done, especially when an original option is also included.
Home video releases with directional dialogue, sound effects, and full stereo music tracks get high praise from me. A couple that come to mind are The Robe, Demetrius and the Gladiators and Silk Stockings, though these older films did not use the surround channels as they do today. Some of these older titles lose the 4/6-tracks when released by the second tier labels, one being Compulsion, which has the better track on the studio DVD.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #27

Feb 2017

After doing research, it turns out a good even great remix can be done with original stems and/or original sound mixers that were from the original production. Then again, there is a difference between aged production and a well crafted sound mix with what you use to bring it to modern standards.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #28
Special Member

Nov 2008
-
-

The problem is the need the studios feel to do an all encompassing near-field mix for home video with reduced dynamic range, something that will sound equally well on TV speakers and the average home theater sound system.

Some theatrical mixes have slipped out as far as I can tell, which is that they just don't sound like most mixes. Logan's Run is one. Some, well at least one, have intentionally been released with the actual wide dynamic range theatrical mix: The Game from Criterion, but that title is outside (1997) your original query.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcakeuf6 View Post
The problem is the need the studios feel to do an all encompassing near-field mix for home video with reduced dynamic range, something that will sound equally well on TV speakers and the average home theater sound system.

Some theatrical mixes have slipped out as far as I can tell, which is that they just don't sound like most mixes. Logan's Run is one. Some, well at least one, have intentionally been released with the actual wide dynamic range theatrical mix: The Game from Criterion, but that title is outside (1997) your original query.
sadly this seems to a trend on Disney's new UHD releases, the compression and dynamic range on the Dolby Atmos track seem way dialed down when compared to the theatrical mixes. I think the only time when studios namely Universal literally laid down the theatrical mix onto home video, was for the DTS laserdisc editions: 'Dante's Peak' is ear splitting, 'Casper' was a circus of sound, 'Dragonheart' was just majestic, 'Jurassic Park' was aurally scary sounding.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #30
Special Member

Nov 2008
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
sadly this seems to a trend on Disney's new UHD releases, the compression and dynamic range on the Dolby Atmos track seem way dialed down when compared to the theatrical mixes. I think the only time when studios namely Universal literally laid down the theatrical mix onto home video, was for the DTS laserdisc editions: 'Dante's Peak' is ear splitting, 'Casper' was a circus of sound, 'Dragonheart' was just majestic, 'Jurassic Park' was aurally scary sounding.
Yeah, I didn't see that coming with Blu-ray either. I was an LD collector, and loved a lot of the sound on those releases, but sold a lot of that stuff in the early 2000s. Even a bunch of the Dolby tracks on LD had more dynamic range than the Blu-ray releases. When I first heard about lossless sound on HD disc I thought great, the soundtracks will sound even better, but the powers that be always shoot for the lowest common denominator. Those that care about, and notice, the compromises of the compressed tracks are SOL while all the others don't notice, or would care if it was pointed out, so I wonder why it's so important for the studios to pay for a different track?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #31
Expert Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by notops View Post
Only nine movies used CDS.

CDS came and went pretty quickly because it wasn't backwards compatible with older equipment. Dolby Digital & DTS didn't have that drawback.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Tags
audio quality, audiophile, classic cinema, soundtrack