Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 10-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

I've been busy with tuning the picture settings for 2D/3D SDR and HDR content the past few weeks, going back and forth trying different settings and with a couple of very basic S&M test patterns.

Then I watched scenes from a wide variety of movies and I must say, I'm very satisfied right now with how everything turned out. Even for 3D, which I thought looked a little too dark at first, also got a very nice HDR picture. I do have to use high lamp mode for both, something I tried to avoid at first but in my case, it looks noticably better with high lamp on.
Top 15 all time favorites: The Evil Dead | Re-Animator | A New Hope | The Empire Strikes Back | Fist Of The North Star (1986) | Evil Dead 2 | Hard Target | Cloverfield | Demons | Suspiria | Opera | Tenebrae | Desperado | Blood And Black Lace | Return Of The Jedi
Old 10-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Missouri

Thanks for the comments. If it wasn't for the fact that my PS4 Pro would be used so much with the projector I would probably go for one of these new Sony's. But not with the HDR banding issue.
Epson 5030UB on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580/Sony PS3 and PS4 Pro
DirecTV HR24-500
Onkyo TX-NR646
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Polk T15
Subwoofer: BIC Acoustech PL-200
Logitech Harmony Elite
Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Thanks for the comments. If it wasn't for the fact that my PS4 Pro would be used so much with the projector I would probably go for one of these new Sony's. But not with the HDR banding issue.
Yeah, a lot of people are disappointed because of that. I've seen it during the intro of the GT Sport beta in HDR. There, it was pretty obvious. Also saw it during playing a little bit of Uncharted Lost Legacy. That's all the gaming I did so far with the 285. SDR/HDR movie content though is banding free providing there's none in the source to begin with ofcourse. I'm not interested in movie content above 24p so I'm not worried about potential banding with 60p movies in HDR.

If I were you I would just wait it out until more info regarding the banding issue is available. There still hasn't been an official statement from Sony yet. Would be great if this could be fixed with a firmware update after all... Personally I'd be more interested in an official firmware update so the projector is able to be brighter during HDR (and 3D). Apparently dealers in Germany have found a way to make the 285 and 385 brighter by going into the service menu, so that means it must be possible without hardware modification.
Top 15 all time favorites: The Evil Dead | Re-Animator | A New Hope | The Empire Strikes Back | Fist Of The North Star (1986) | Evil Dead 2 | Hard Target | Cloverfield | Demons | Suspiria | Opera | Tenebrae | Desperado | Blood And Black Lace | Return Of The Jedi
Thanks given by:
i007spectre (10-31-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
AVSforum member "imagic" has been in contact with Sony engineers about the 60hz HDR banding issue.

I copied his post regarding this below:

No magic fix folks, sorry. 60p 4K on the 285ES, 385ES and 675ES is limited to 8-bit due to internal processing (as opposed to HDMI limitations).

"What you found with your testing was correct."

"What you saw in the footnote to the Input Signals chart in the product manual is, indeed, quite literal."

"it will internally process that signal as an 8-bit signal"

"Therefore, while providing the optimum picture quality for the vast majority of movie content, users of the VW285 (as well as 385 and 675) will need to make some compromise when watching 4K 60P content. One compromise is to turn off HDR in the player and view the content in SDR. Another, with some devices like the Oppo, is to reduce the framerate and maintain the HDR image."
Thanks given by:
turns2stone (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Missouri

Yep not supporting Sony then.
Wonder if the new Optoma UHZ65 will have that issue. Sure its not pure 4K, but from I read its hard to tell the difference.
Epson 5030UB on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580/Sony PS3 and PS4 Pro
DirecTV HR24-500
Onkyo TX-NR646
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Polk T15
Subwoofer: BIC Acoustech PL-200
Logitech Harmony Elite
Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

I've had this projector for about a month now and have watched a fair amount of 4K and 3D content, and I can honestly say I am more than satisfied with it. Whether it's 4K/HDR or 2D/3D SDR, it all looks fantastic, the 285ES truly throws an amazing picture I think.

So if you don't intend to do (a lot of) gaming in HDR @ 60hz (or just aren't really bothered by some banding here and there when doing so), the Sony 285ES is an excellent choice for those who want a native 4K/HDR projector without having to shell out a hefty sum of money.
Thanks given by:
bakntim (11-14-2017), Dirk504 (12-06-2017), roar (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

You had me right up until you said not having to pay a hefty sum... if/when I buy this projector it will be twice what I paid for my current one which was twice what I paid for my last one! So it is well in the hefty range for me at least
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
You had me right up until you said not having to pay a hefty sum... if/when I buy this projector it will be twice what I paid for my current one which was twice what I paid for my last one! So it is well in the hefty range for me at least
I understand that and I agree ofcourse, it's still a lot of money. But what I meant was, is that the 285ES is the first native 4K projector that falls into a more "acceptable" price range when compared to its predecessors. The first native 4K/HDR entry level projector if you will.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:44 AM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I understand that and I agree ofcourse, it's still a lot of money. But what I meant was, is that the 285ES is the first native 4K projector that falls into a more "acceptable" price range when compared to its predecessors. The first native 4K/HDR entry level projector if you will.
100% on side... just trying to ground myself in reality as I consider a purchase I couldn’t have even imagined 10 years ago. Next thing you know I will be buying a new in box pinball machine! (My other wallet sucking hobby!)
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

I finally got a chance to check out this projector at a local A/V store. They have a couple of nice dedicated rooms and had the VW285ES in one of them. Screen was 2.35 and was acoustically transparent so some light loss there. Throw distance was further than I will have but the room was 100% light controlled like mine. They did have back lighting on the screen which I have, but I think i would keep it off, I find it to be more of a novelty than anything else and when I'm trying to focus on picture quality i find it distracting...

Anyway... my point... I love it Only watched a couple of scenes from Lucy... asked them to skip to the end so I could watch her turn into the black blob. Honestly, that is when the film lost me but I figured the white on black contrast would be fun to watch.

Thought the brightness was more than adequate... with the AT screen in play still better than what I have with a brand new bulb in my JVC X30 and a 2.4 gain screen so no complaints, this projector will really shine in my setup. Sharpness and contrast was amazing, really, no draw backs for me. If you only want to watch movies and not game in 4K at 60fps I think it is a winner.

Since I refuse to put myself in debt for toys I'm still a little ways off on the purchase and if it starts to push into the middle of next year I may wait for next years model but in the meantime I'll dream of this projector, it is a beauty.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (11-25-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

For those interested:

Free custom settings and gamma curves for a brighter HDR and 3D picture in low (!) lamp mode are available courtesy from a couple of guys from Germany.

Custom gamma also includes the option of getting a banding free HDR picture @ 60Hz by feeding the signal to either the Oppo or an HD Fury first, and then let them send a downconverted 1080/60 HDR picture to the Sony PJ which will upscale it to a 4K/HDR 60Hz picture without color banding. Frame interpolation is now also possible this way.

For more info see the 285ES and 385ES owners threads on AVS and ofcourse the German based hifi-forum.de where it originated from.

Personally I'm not really interested in downscaling and upscaling a picture to get rid of some occasional banding during HDR gaming and/or being able to use FI with an HDR signal. But it is a very nice find and might come in handy for those that do care ofcourse. The main thing for me is getting a bright HDR/3D picture without having to use the lamp in high mode. I tried the custom settings and it really works which is great! You do need to use the contrast enhancer setting on high mode for the brightest possible picture, which is something I do not really like using. But I will try loading the custom gamma curves later this week, as it is being said it works better than just using the custom settings and the occasional artificial look caused by the contrast enhancer on high setting is not there anymore.
Thanks given by:
roar (11-29-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

I saw this PJ in action at Best Buy and I was really impressed. I bought the Sony 45es last year, but will be looking to upgrade next year in the Fall. The asking price is still out of my range, but hopefully they'll either lower the price or Epson will introduce an affordable true 4k projector to replace the 5040.
Sony 45ES Projector; 120" Silver Ticket Screen; Dolby Atmos set up; Denon AVR-S710W; 55" Samsung KS8500 4K SUHDTV; Samsung K8500 4K Blu Ray player; 58" Samsung Plasma 1080p; Sony 6500 Blu Ray player
Playstation 4; Playstation 3; Xbox One
Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

I managed to load the custom gamma curves last week and they're much better than just using the custom gain/offset settings alone. There are four to chose from so you can select one basing it on the movie you are watching. Also no more artificial look caused when the contrast enhancer function is at its highest setting now. And ofcourse HDR picture is still bright without having to use high lamp mode (you still can ofcourse for an even brighter picture) which is great. Default contrast setting is at max as suggested but you can lower that a few clicks in order to get some of that potential lost detail back in highlights.

I watched Blade Runner and Passengers recently using the custom gamma curve settings and they both looked amazing.
Thanks given by:
roar (12-08-2017), Robert Zohn (12-07-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #34
Power Member

Aug 2008
MA

Nice, been considering the 285ES myself but also considering the JVC RS540. Leaning towards the JVC right now but not set in stone
Projector: Optoma UHD60
Screen: 120" SilverTicket Fixed Frame
Power: Emotiva MC-700, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers & woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: Velodyne F1500R
Blu-ray: Xbox One S (for now)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Tags
sony 4k projectors, vpl-vw285es, vpl-vw385es, vpl-vw885es