Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Road to Bali $13.02 (5 hours left)
Soon: Gator ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-11-2017, 01:38 AM   #1921

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Dynaudio is not trying to be like other speaker manufacturers. In the past 2 - 3 years they doubled the engineer and product development staff and all of the newer speakers and upgrades are original Dynaudio design and development.

With that said I don't think your post was trying to say anything derogatory about Dynaudio or the new advancements in speaker technology they developed. Further you compared them to another first class premium brand.

We're Dynaudio dealers and had a great dealer meeting and demo at CEDIA. Dynaudio speakers deliver excellent performance at every category and exceptional fit, finish and cabinet quality. Dynaudio staff up to senior management exhibit a friendly and supportive company culture. Great company to do business with.
My comment was solely to do with it being a(n ugly) big black box. Obviously a Dynaudio owner got his panties in a bunch.

I would say they provide different performance and sound at every level. And their gloss finishes are excellent. Their Evidence (and pro version) are great speakers. At some point I'd like to hear the Consequence and Confidence speakers, but I believe they're supposed to be more colored.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #1922
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Not true. I was never upset. You just made an assertion that because two speakers looked the same one was copying the other. Which is preposterous. Because then by your assertion every company would be copying every other company before them.... so your comment was rhetoric.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Thanks given by:
Bluvette (09-14-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #1923
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Oliver you have had your new naim gear and c30s for months now and we haven't heard a review yet wth!!!!!! Come on man what are your thoughts?
AUDIO EMOTIVA XMC1 XPA3 Naim XS2
SPEAKERS Dynaudio x38s CCstudio esSprit ADP190S
VIDEO SAMSUNG PLASMA 58 INCH
OPPO BDP 93 / ps4 for gaming
SUBS SVS PB12NSD Power sound audio xs30se
TURN TABLE - REGA RP6 Ortofon 2m Black ifi phono stage
CABLES L/R SPEAKERS- AUDIOQUEST ROCKET 33s
Fully balanced system from erc3 to xmc1 to xpa1Ls
Old 09-17-2017, 03:23 AM   #1924

Sep 2014

Yeah, I'd be quite interested in some reviews too Olivier

I just heard a pair of Raidho X1's when I stopped by my dealers today

Pretty impressive speakers... lots of space between everything and excellent clarity.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #1925

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMill View Post
That looks like they want to be JBL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Not true. I was never upset. You just made an assertion that because two speakers looked the same one was copying the other. Which is preposterous. Because then by your assertion every company would be copying every other company before them.... so your comment was rhetoric.
You jumped to Dynaudio's defense, the speakers you own. It was a hero move.

I never said Dynaudio was copying JBL. And your last point is far from true, as most companies try and make their speakers unique.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #1926

Sep 2014

Been enjoying my Excites very much the last few months.

Have noticed though that after hooking up my old system (Harman and Energy RC Mini's) and switching back and forth between the two with home theater use, the Harman/Energy setup is noticeably more dynamic. There is more difference between the quiet and loud parts in movies on this system than the Anthem and Dyn's. It actually really makes you jump out of your seat in some parts with the H/K and energy's and the Anthem Dyn setup doesn't have the same impact.

I tested with both setups crossed to the sub at 80Hz for movies. I also tried hooking the Energy's up to the Anthem and that has amazing dynamics, while hooking the Dyn's up to the H/K have similar weaker dynamics like they do when connected to the Anthem.

This leads me to think that the Dyn's may just require more power to bring the Dynamics out more. The Energy's are very easy to drive and not much of a load at all. Both times there are great dynamics with the Energy's regardless of which amp, but not so much with the Dyn's. I can drive the Dyn's to loud level's easily, but the quiet/loud difference isn't as noticeable/impactful.

Do you guys think adding an external 3ch or 5ch power amp to the Anthem MRX520 would help with this?
Old 10-26-2017, 04:10 AM   #1927
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Been enjoying my Excites very much the last few months.

Have noticed though that after hooking up my old system (Harman and Energy RC Mini's) and switching back and forth between the two with home theater use, the Harman/Energy setup is noticeably more dynamic. There is more difference between the quiet and loud parts in movies on this system than the Anthem and Dyn's. It actually really makes you jump out of your seat in some parts with the H/K and energy's and the Anthem Dyn setup doesn't have the same impact.

I tested with both setups crossed to the sub at 80Hz for movies. I also tried hooking the Energy's up to the Anthem and that has amazing dynamics, while hooking the Dyn's up to the H/K have similar weaker dynamics like they do when connected to the Anthem.

This leads me to think that the Dyn's may just require more power to bring the Dynamics out more. The Energy's are very easy to drive and not much of a load at all. Both times there are great dynamics with the Energy's regardless of which amp, but not so much with the Dyn's. I can drive the Dyn's to loud level's easily, but the quiet/loud difference isn't as noticeable/impactful.

Do you guys think adding an external 3ch or 5ch power amp to the Anthem MRX520 would help with this?
yes it would help, Dyn are not hard on the amp but they are not efficient so a lot of power is required to cover the 3 db efficiency difference with the energy but I would also recommend you make sure to get a DB meter and make sure you set all speakers at 75db during the white noise. I always calibrate my speaker levels manually with a DB meter. 3 Channel amo for the Front sound stage is mor than enough and make sure it's got serious power if you want to get all the dynamics you wish for. I know Naim products are quite Dynamic more than my Bryston even having more power on the Bryston the Nam electronics get more Dynamics out of my speakers.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #1928

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
yes it would help, Dyn are not hard on the amp but they are not efficient so a lot of power is required to cover the 3 db efficiency difference with the energy but I would also recommend you make sure to get a DB meter and make sure you set all speakers at 75db during the white noise. I always calibrate my speaker levels manually with a DB meter. 3 Channel amo for the Front sound stage is mor than enough and make sure it's got serious power if you want to get all the dynamics you wish for. I know Naim products are quite Dynamic more than my Bryston even having more power on the Bryston the Nam electronics get more Dynamics out of my speakers.
Cool, thanks Olivier.

I do intend to get another pair of Dyn's for surrounds in the future (still using a pair of the RC-Mini now) so do you think it's more "futureproof" to get a 5ch amp or just a 3ch? I suppose just covering the front three speakers with an external amp would take quite a load off the receiver so it would probably do just fine powering only the surrounds. I did end up buying a DB meter a while ago... it was too tough to properly match the Dyn fronts and Energy rears by ear alone.

BTW, how are you enjoying your new gear?(well, not that new anymore
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #1929
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Upstate SC

Quote:
Cool, thanks Olivier.

I do intend to get another pair of Dyn's for surrounds in the future (still using a pair of the RC-Mini now) so do you think it's more "futureproof" to get a 5ch amp or just a 3ch? I suppose just covering the front three speakers with an external amp would take quite a load off the receiver so it would probably do just fine powering only the surrounds. I did end up buying a DB meter a while ago... it was too tough to properly match the Dyn fronts and Energy rears by ear alone.

I have an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 and it works great. It won't break the bank either. I would suggest a 3 channel amp then you can add a nice IA later to run the front L/R and get good stereo music. Use the 3 channel amp for center and surrounds then. That's what I do now.
TV Sammy 58B550 Speakers Scansonic MB 2.5,MB center,MB 1 surrounds
Receiver Anthem MRX 500,NaimUniti 2b
Amps-Emotiva XPA-3Subs-SVS PC12 Plus(w/Auralex SubDude)
BD Player/CD-Oppo 93 Power Conditioner-Belkin Pure AV PF30 Remote-Harmony One
Synology DS216J NAS w/ 4TB HDD
BDI Avion Noir 8937 A/V stand,ATS acoustic panels, Vicoustic Wavewood Diffuser
Naim NACA5 speaker cable, Naim Power-line
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 01:32 AM   #1930

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
I have an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 and it works great. It won't break the bank either. I would suggest a 3 channel amp then you can add a nice IA later to run the front L/R and get good stereo music. Use the 3 channel amp for center and surrounds then. That's what I do now.
Hmmm... ok that's a good suggestion. A three channel amp for now to power the front three, and then an integrated with HT bypass for the fronts and use the three channel power amp for surrounds and center.

Will start doing some research for 3ch amps to start off with. If I remember correct, the preamp/processor/DAC's (or receiver in my case) dictate the quality or signature of the sound, and the power amp will just amplify that and not add any character of it's own to the sound? Basically just gives you better dynamics and more headroom to play louder before compressing/distorting/clipping?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #1931
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Cool, thanks Olivier.

no worries read again i did mention 3 channel amp

new gear is nice except i have not had as much time as I would have liked tooo with it.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest

Old 10-29-2017, 12:25 AM   #1932

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
no worries read again i did mention 3 channel amp

new gear is nice except i have not had as much time as I would have liked tooo with it.
Right!! I think this is the smart way to go. Will start looking into some 3ch amps right away I think.

Nice your liking your equipment,... hopefully you get more time with it. That gear is too nice to sit there unused!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #1933
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Right!! I think this is the smart way to go. Will start looking into some 3ch amps right away I think.

Nice your liking your equipment,... hopefully you get more time with it. That gear is too nice to sit there unused!
look for a used Bryston, pretty good amp I must say, very neutral, Canadian fairly Dynamic but Naim is more dynamic.

a 6 SST would be great for you but would run you close around 3K or as John said an Emotiva amp, they are great bang for the buck with decent warranty and good customer service but not like Bryston.

Found this 9Bsst for 2K but I wonder if it will be enough 120 wpc at 8 ohms, i know it is a true 120 watts but it's not a 6 Bsst, great thing about the 9B is you could turn into a 5 channel amp if you wanted to as it is a modular Chassis. it delivers 200wpc at 4 ohms. I tis sold by a dealer and it has 7 years left on the Warranty.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...annel-version/

In much better condition also in Alberta a 6B SST for 3K

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...nel-amplifier/
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-29-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (11-01-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #1934

Jul 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
So whatever happened? Did you get your setup? Pics?
I have not yet ordered the dynaudio excite x14 because I still have some doubts about the placement of the speakers and the amplifier to use I'm worried about the excessive proximity to the walls that could result in a poor response of the low frequencies because I will go to position them at about 20cm from the bottom wall, in the eventuality I could even get up to 30cm, and then I would have thought to use as an amplifier the Musical Fidelity m3si which also has a built-in dac, and the 80watt for channel I think are more than enough to better guide the dynaudio, but I'm not sure if Musical Fidelity is a safe match

Thank you for help and best regards
Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #1935
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiph View Post
I have not yet ordered the dynaudio excite x14 because I still have some doubts about the placement of the speakers and the amplifier to use I'm worried about the excessive proximity to the walls that could result in a poor response of the low frequencies because I will go to position them at about 20cm from the bottom wall, in the eventuality I could even get up to 30cm, and then I would have thought to use as an amplifier the Musical Fidelity m3si which also has a built-in dac, and the 80watt for channel I think are more than enough to better guide the dynaudio, but I'm not sure if Musical Fidelity is a safe match

Thank you for help and best regards
Musical fidelity is not a bad match to Dynaudio speakers, Dyn are not efficient but not so hard on the amps so pretty much anything can drive them well as long as you have. Musical fidelity 80wpc I have no doubt will mate well with them.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #1936

Jul 2017

Great thank you but I'm still worried about the placement of the speakers in the vicinity of the rear walls, I'm afraid that at a distance of about 20-30cm can create an excessive reverberation of the low frequencies, to be premised that I will also use a subwoofer, could it be useful to dampen the excess of bass played by the main speakers?

Sorry for my bad english
Old 12-09-2017, 04:58 AM   #1937
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Great thank you but I'm still worried about the placement of the speakers in the vicinity of the rear walls, I'm afraid that at a distance of about 20-30cm can create an excessive reverberation of the low frequencies, to be premised that I will also use a subwoofer, could it be useful to dampen the excess of bass played by the main speakers?

Sorry for my bad english
Yes that close to the wall there is a chance, not sure how your DIY is with building some accoustic panels maybe to place behind the seakers ans place speakers 30cm from back wall rather than 20cm. I am positive that way it would sound pretty good and maybe place a panel to the first point of reflection of the speakers.

The importance is when using a sub will be placement and try to find the sweetpot for the x-over. I would think around 55-60hz for the Excite X-14 or X-12.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Old 12-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #1938

Jul 2017

In fact, I had already thought of reducing the problem of excessive propagation of low frequencies with sound-insulating panels, I think it is a good and economic solution, and with the right settings of the sub woofer will allow me to add further corrections. I still have another question about the atacama supports, the moseco 10 and nexus models are compatible with Dynaudio Excite X14?

Thank you and best regards

Code:
http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/nexus-i-speaker-stands-1000mm-39-4?pp=24

http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/moseco-10-speaker-stands-pair?pp=24
Old 12-10-2017, 03:07 AM   #1939
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
In fact, I had already thought of reducing the problem of excessive propagation of low frequencies with sound-insulating panels, I think it is a good and economic solution, and with the right settings of the sub woofer will allow me to add further corrections. I still have another question about the atacama supports, the moseco 10 and nexus models are compatible with Dynaudio Excite X14?

Thank you and best regards

Code:
http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/nexus-i-speaker-stands-1000mm-39-4?pp=24

http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/moseco-10-speaker-stands-pair?pp=24
I don't see why not except i would go with a shorter stand like the Moseco 6 which is 24 inches tall or 61.5 cm or Nexus 600mm.

Dynaudio stand 3 is 60cm tall and is designed to work with the X-14 so 60cm seems to be the sweet spot for them and It was the same with my X-12 and X-18.

That will also save you a bit of Money

Nexus 600

Moseco 6
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Old 12-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #1940

Jul 2017

The reason why I chose the longer stands is that they allow me to have the tweeter positioned at ear height, my desktop station where I am sitting has a height of 1,20mt (1,200mm) approx

Good Sunday to everyone
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers