Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$10.00
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Logan Lucky (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Kingsman: The Golden Circle 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #81
Power Member

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarchafa View Post
Yeah, I have no doubt that your setup sounds great. But can your tower speakers dig deep and pound hard without the need of a subwoofer?
Yes, it sure can. And that's WITH bass and treble at their detent 12:00 positions.

But you mentioned "cheap stereo receivers" as all that's being available today; it's simply not true. You just gotta shop around. I know there is an Integra receiver that's the counterpart of one of the Onkyos, and Onkyo itself now has multiple stereo models to choose from. And, I know Outlaw did a "retro-esque"-looking stereo receiver a few years back that was highly regarded.
5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120 PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 AM   #82

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Yes, it sure can. And that's WITH bass and treble at their detent 12:00 positions.

But you mentioned "cheap stereo receivers" as all that's being available today; it's simply not true. You just gotta shop around. I know there is an Integra receiver that's the counterpart of one of the Onkyos, and Onkyo itself now has multiple stereo models to choose from. And, I know Outlaw did a "retro-esque"-looking stereo receiver a few years back that was highly regarded.
Sheesh my speakers at neutral can barely produce any bass at all. What speaker brands and model are you running?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:25 AM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeffbatl View Post
Greetings everyone!

[Show spoiler]I'm also working on (basically) a 4K upgrade to my home theater room, and am on the fence for AVR's. Over the years I've had practically every brand, so I'm not really set on anything.

I'm doing a 7.2.4 system, so the ones that jumped out are the Marantz SR8012, and the Integra DRX-R1.1 (when it ever comes out). I considered the Anthem MRX-1120 until I realized that I wouldn't be able to hook my old laserdisc player to it (yes, I actually have one that still works and a bunch of titles that haven't made it to blu-ray yet!).

The Integra has gotten some rave reviews, and the Marantz is so new, there's no technical review on it yet, other than places regurgitating the specification sheet.

I'm open to suggestions for anything that the price range for these three units. Does anyone out there have any experience with these two models, or have anything to offer that might help me come to a decision?

The vendor I'm dealing with seems to be pushing the Marantz, and it's just enough that I'm wary that they're just trying to sell me what they have, rather than waiting for what might be the better unit (since the .1 revision of the Integra hasn't hit the streets yet).

I'm technically literate, so can understand the meaning of the technical tests, so I'll likely wait until a neutral party puts the Marantz through its paces (that's already happened for the Integra) unless one of you "illuminati" makes a compelling argument. It's so hard to wait for new toys!

"Help me Obi-Wan - You're my only hope."
I don't have any experience with Marantz, but do know that they're well regarded.
That SR 8012 that you're looking at seems very kick ass. I'm sure that when the eventual reviews come out, they'll back that.
If I were looking, that would be 1 of 2 that I'd audition. The other being the Anthem 1120.
Happy hunting!
I feel like our ship's going down tonight.
But it's always darkest before the light.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #84

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
I don't have any experience with Marantz, but do know that they're well regarded.
That SR 8012 that you're looking at seems very kick ass. I'm sure that when the eventual reviews come out, they'll back that.
If I were looking, that would be 1 of 2 that I'd audition. The other being the Anthem 1120.
Happy hunting!
Yes, I just read from user's experiences that the Marantz SR 8012 really pounds hard and loud for their setups.

Check out what users from the AVS forum say about it:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html

Looks like it might dethroned the Anthem 1120 in performance, but you really can't go wrong with either one.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #85

Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA

Quote:
Hey, everyone's experiences are different; I would swear by this company's gear, though in recent years I've been reading nightmare stories concerning the products' quality (not sure if their two-channel stuff suffers from quality control; I love their stereo gear, as well)...all I can report is that my 605 is STILL running strong (and powering monster Polk RTi12s as main channels just fine, to boot).
I do enjoy their older stereo amp's myself.

I have a friend that has a HITB Onkyo Receiver and it does sound good!
60" Samsung 3D Plasma PN60E550D1F (ISF Calibrated)
7.1 Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH - Roku 3 (4200)
Samsung UBD-K8500 - Oppo DV-970HD
Onkyo DX-C220 - JVC HRA591U VHS

Center: Advent Mini; Front: Advent Legacy III; Surrounds: Advent Legacy II; Surround Back: Advent Prodigy Tower; Subwoofer: Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX
Old 12-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #86

Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
My Pioneer Elite is fine for video, but completely sucks for analog or digital music. It really kills the music. I had to put back my old preamp and power amp for 2-channel listening of LP's and CD's and install an amp switch for the Left and Right fronts.
May I ask what Piioneer Elite do you own?

I have the VSX-92TXH and I love how music sounds on it. Analog and Digital.

Just curious, do you have one of the newer one's?

Quote:
From my experience, Pioneers are the worst when it comes to music.

I disagree, I know I've been talking Elite's here for a moment, but I am very happy with mine, in Analog and Digital audio the quality is gorgeous if you ask me.

I do own a tube amp which I would say sounds better but considering that the Elite is a Home Theater receiver I think music sounds great and does justice.

Could it be paired with speakers that don't sound good?

I'm just curious because I haven't had any hiccups and have been impressed with the Elite series, though again, I have an old model from 2012 so that may be a factor in quality as I'd mentioned before once they got Acquired, I don't think they kept the same Quality Control they used to.
60" Samsung 3D Plasma PN60E550D1F (ISF Calibrated)
7.1 Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH - Roku 3 (4200)
Samsung UBD-K8500 - Oppo DV-970HD
Onkyo DX-C220 - JVC HRA591U VHS

Center: Advent Mini; Front: Advent Legacy III; Surrounds: Advent Legacy II; Surround Back: Advent Prodigy Tower; Subwoofer: Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX

Last edited by AnalogAperture; 12-05-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #87
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogaperture View Post
may i ask what piioneer elite do you own?
sc-55
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Thanks given by:
AnalogAperture (12-08-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:16 AM   #88
Power Member

May 2016

Quote:
Sheesh my speakers at neutral can barely produce any bass at all. What speaker brands and model are you running?
I'm running Infinity Primus P363 towers, and the receiver is an Onkyo TX-8555, a powerhouse of a stereo amp that pumps out 100 watts per channel (it's since been discontinued).
5.1:
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (12-09-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 05:48 AM   #89

Feb 2014

Quote:
I'm running Infinity Primus P363 towers, and the receiver is an Onkyo TX-8555, a powerhouse of a stereo amp that pumps out 100 watts per channel (it's since been discontinued).
Wow, pretty cheap price for some good speakers. It's probably one of those set of speakers that are too good for the price I guess. 100 watts is plenty for small tower speakers. As for me I wouldn't settle with any tower speakers

My goal is to own these one day:

I almost got them, but decided to spend my money on something else instead. I do own bookshelf version of those speakers which produces the same sound, but not on the low end.

So I have those speakers hooked up to my Anthem MRX 510, and they truly sound divine, the best I ever had. The only thing that lacks is the sub bass, but for these tiny bookshelf speakers they do dig deeper than it looks.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (12-09-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #90
Power Member

May 2016

Quote:
Wow, pretty cheap price for some good speakers. It's probably one of those set of speakers that are too good for the price I guess.
Here's another home theater/hi-fi gangland myth that needs to go the way of the Do-Do Bird, thinking less weight on a turntable stylus is actually BETTER for vinyl tracking and forcing people to believe they should always run their home theater speaker array as LARGE when there's a sub in the mix...

It's not always the most expensive of anything that yields admirable performance, and the Infinity's are proof of that -- this series of speaker (the Primus line) has been renowned in audio circles for boasting well above-the-price level performance that can give more expensive speakers a run for their money. I jumped on a KILLER deal at a local Fry's when these went on sale (they pretty much gave them away) and they work absolutely fine in my two-channel system.

Quote:
100 watts is plenty for small tower speakers.
It's not only about that (and the Primus 363s aren't that "small") -- it's about what a loudspeaker can handle based on the manufacturer's specs, and the Onkyo I'm pushing the 363s with are an ideal match for them, power-wise.

Important to note: It's not really a matter of an amp "not being able to push all that juice" to a loudspeaker, it's more a matter of an amp "not being able to HANDLE" a certain loudspeaker's ohm or sensitivity loading.

Quote:
As for me I wouldn't settle with any tower speakers

Quote:
My goal is to own these one day:

I almost got them, but decided to spend my money on something else instead. I do own bookshelf version of those speakers which produces the same sound, but not on the low end.

So I have those speakers hooked up to my Anthem MRX 510, and they truly sound divine, the best I ever had. The only thing that lacks is the sub bass, but for these tiny bookshelf speakers they do dig deeper than it looks.
No bookshelf or tower can dig as deep as a subwoofer; it's simple physics, for the most part (the woofers just can't push as much air) -- the only time I found this wasn't so true was when I used to run a mobile DJ business, and the big, boxy "Becker" brand speakers I was using had 15-inch woofers in each, and the system actually didn't require a sub...
5.1:

2-CHANNEL:
Old 12-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #91

Feb 2014

You are also forgetting that room size greatly affects the bass extension and output on any subwoofer or speakers. On a small room, I heard bookshelf speakers sound great on the low end while on larger rooms not at all. My old flagship Aiwa bookshelfs speakers are able to do that without the need of a subwoofer that gets great bass extension on my small room. It's also thanks to the dual front firing bass ports and the deep 14" cabinet that helps pump insane amount of air out to really dig deep.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #92
Power Member

May 2016

Well, of course room size has to do with how well smaller or lager speakers can pressurize a space; my main point was that, for the most part, a sub can do what most full-range speakers can't, no matter how large they are.
5.1:

2-CHANNEL:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers