Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fast & Furious: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 12-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Jun 2009
Default 2 Yrs Since Last Post - Need Advise for Replacement Center Channel Speaker

Hello,

As the title reads, it's been two years since my last post I believe. I've learned much here so I'm back for advise. I've got rid of my Onkyo troublesome cut off receiver and replaced with a Yamaha TSR-7790 from Costco that I'm super happy with. Also replaced my Boston Acoustics HPS 10 sub with an SVS PB-10 sub. Now my 3 BA HS 225 channel speakers need replacing. The crappy exterior rubber/plastic surface seems to be melting into a sticky goo where I don't even want to touch the surface. It's not from heat, I think it's the material.
I use 3 center channels as my left, center, and right channels due to my tight space constraints so I need to stick with center channels. Left and right channels are stood upright. Since I have an SVS sub, I was thinking of sticking with SVS either a Prime Center ($349.99) or SVS Ultra Center ($699.99). $699.99 seems very excessive and don't really want to pay that much but not sure how much difference there is between Prime and Centers. Also not sure if there are better brand options out there. My budget is around $1k for 3 speakers. Klipsch maybe? Any advise you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

You might also take a look at Golden Ear Technologies line of cinema speakers. I've heard good things about them, but have no personal experience with them.
I Love The Smell Of Ferrous Oxide In The Morning

Magnetic Tape: The Sovereign Talisman Of Sound

...f/k/a BluRayFred...
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #3

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Hello,

As the title reads, it's been two years since my last post I believe. I've learned much here so I'm back for advise. I've got rid of my Onkyo troublesome cut off receiver and replaced with a Yamaha TSR-7790 from Costco that I'm super happy with. Also replaced my Boston Acoustics HPS 10 sub with an SVS PB-10 sub. Now my 3 BA HS 225 channel speakers need replacing. The crappy exterior rubber/plastic surface seems to be melting into a sticky goo where I don't even want to touch the surface. It's not from heat, I think it's the material.
I use 3 center channels as my left, center, and right channels due to my tight space constraints so I need to stick with center channels. Left and right channels are stood upright. Since I have an SVS sub, I was thinking of sticking with SVS either a Prime Center ($349.99) or SVS Ultra Center ($699.99). $699.99 seems very excessive and don't really want to pay that much but not sure how much difference there is between Prime and Centers. Also not sure if there are better brand options out there. My budget is around $1k for 3 speakers. Klipsch maybe? Any advise you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sup brotha,

I'd go with the SVS prime center for $350, reviewed well and your getting a deal buying straight from the manufacturer. That leaves you with more than enough funds for the SVS prime bookshelf speakers ($500) for the pair. Can't go wrong with that my friend...timbre matched since you'd be going all SVS. Good luck! let us know how you made out....happy holidays to ya!...

KD
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #4

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
Sup brotha,

I'd go with the SVS prime center for $350, reviewed well and your getting a deal buying straight from the manufacturer. That leaves you with more than enough funds for the SVS prime bookshelf speakers ($500) for the pair. Can't go wrong with that my friend...timbre matched since you'd be going all SVS. Good luck! let us know how you made out....happy holidays to ya!...

KD
Hello, Happy Holidays to you too!

So you would suggest going with two book shelf speakers instead of two more center channels? What is the reasoning?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #5

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
Hello, Happy Holidays to you too!

So you would suggest going with two book shelf speakers instead of two more center channels? What is the reasoning?

Thanks.
The reasoning would be the prime center utilizes two 5.25" drivers, which are optimized for the vocal material you hear throughout a movie. Whereas the SVS prime bookshelf speakers use a larger 6.5" driver, which will offer greater dynamics, deeper bass, and broader frequency range,.. especially in the mid bass areas of the audio spectrum,.. and simply sound better for sound effects and music with a much more robust presentation. The crossover network also comes into play here, but your best bet is going the route I suggested if sticking with a complete SVS setup. I'm sure my fellow blu blooded friends here may offer extra reasons....but that's the basic answer.

KD
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers