Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Samurai Jack: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 12-06-2017, 03:10 AM   #21

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
I'm happy with the way things are at the moment.
Thanks given by:
TheLaughingMann (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:31 AM   #22
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Same here. 99% of television shows in the past 20 years, I've watched solely by purchasing the TV DVD boxed sets. NCIS, Bones, gilmore girls, Smallville, are just a few that I have never watched on television before. I simply binge watched them after buying the DVD boxed sets. It's the only way I can watch them. I'll spend a day or two just binge watching an entire season.

When it comes to television shows, I don't care about spoilers. Movies, on the other hand, are a different matter. The only movie I refused to watch because some idiot said how the movie ended was the Sixth Sense. It's rare that a spoiler will ruin a movie or TV series for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
Since TV started coming to DVD, that's pretty much how I've watched shows. Wait until it's released.

And I've never understood this obsession with "Ooh, but we have to talk about it with each other!!!". Fan******y is bad enough as is, now people want to prevent everyone else from just watching a damn show so they can have a week between episodes to formulate their fanwank headcanon?

Edit: I never would have thought that word was censored. It's so innocuous in the US.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 AM   #23
Expert Member

Aug 2017
Gotham City

No thatís the best thing about Netflix I want all the episodes right away I hate waiting a week for the next episode. Itís bad enough studios sometimes skip a week or 2 cause of some stupid event. With the amount of money they charge I wonít pay to wait a week for each episodes they are already slow at releaseing new episodes.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #24

Jan 2011
The Moon

It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. I remember binging the entire first Season of 24 back when it was first released on DVD. That was great. I'm also content watching a weekly show like Game of Thrones. I generally want to see more, but I can handle the wait. Someone mentioned Lost, and that was a show that always left you wanting more. But there's some charm in that. Ultimately, Netflix does things their own way and I'd probably recommend keeping things the same. It seems to work for the audience
Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 AM   #25

Jan 2010
Seattle

If netflix did this, i would just wait for the series to finish its run and then watch it, like i do with traditional tv shows. I cant do weekly airing anymore, lifes too busy and if ive got 3hr window of nothing, im binging a few at a time. The only exception i make to this rule is culturally viral shows like GoT, where there is no way to avoid spoiler for a week. Then i do it weekly still, but friggin HATE it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Family Room: LG 65 C7 OLED | OPPO 203 | DENON X3300W | Klipsch RP 5.2.2 setup | Roku 4k |

Bedroom: Samsung 55D8000 | OPPO 93 | Samsung HW H550 Bar | Roku 2 |
Old 12-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #26
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I think it depends on the show. Things like Game of Thrones work weekly, there's a build-up, an airing and you're left wanting more, waiting for the following week's episode. But there are a few lesser shows out there that don't really hold your attention, they're more enjoyable in chunks.

Having a mixture works and in theory we have to wait longer for full season drops as they have to finish post-production entirely. If they air weekly you'd probably get episodes a bit earlier, but obviously the experience is drawn out (although Netflix doesn't produce many full seasons so the wait is shorter).

I'd imagine more shows will be dropped weekly in future, especially outside the US (if they pick up US streaming services' content), they upload Star Trek: Discovery weekly.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #27
Power Member

Aug 2007
DC Metro Area
Send a message via AIM to JMDiaz718 Send a message via Yahoo to JMDiaz718

How about this, Netflix releases the entire season, and YOU watch an episode a week. Great idea, right?
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (12-08-2017), whotony (12-10-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
England

I prefer weekly viewings, even if they release the whole season I'll only watch a couple a week. I'm one of the few TV show fans I know that don't enjoying binge watching. I'd rather watch a few different shows each night

Top 3: Jaws, Aliens and Zulu

Old 12-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Delaware

It's a toss up. Not everyone has the convenience of catching their show on a weekly basis, and if they miss the episode, they have to hope for a re-run at a time that is convenient to them.

With me, I prefer having physical and digital media so that I don't have to worry about re-runs on TV anymore, or lamenting the missing of a show no longer on the air, and being able to control the time at which I want to watch something rather than having to conform around it for TV.
I has Steam. All interested parties, message me at The Laughing Mann for gameplay and the like.

"We are the devils drawing our own damn dirty deals from the world. The hardest deal of all is where we get nothing and the world gets everything."
Thanks given by:
kemcha (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #30
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

That's my point exactly. While there is a minority of TV fans who prefer weekly indulgences, the majority of people simply don't have the time to do the weekly thing. When I watch an entire season, I don't watch it in one sitting. I might break up an entire season of episodes, whether it's 20 episodes or 26 episodes, across two or three days, depending on my schedule. But watching one episode each week? Nope.

Especially when there are multiple TV shows that I enjoy. I'll binge watch a season of one show and may move on to another show after I've watched that season in its entirety. Many fans of TV shows do this, I'm sure and it's become the norm. Before the advent of home video, you were forced to watch episodes, once per week. But, with DVD and Blu-ray, fans can indulge themselves with binge watching.

What I find preposterous are idiots like Josh Whedon who thinks he can convince TV show fans not to binge watch. Nobody really cares what millionaire directors, actors, producers and studios think. Once they have produced a TV series, that ends their involvement with the viewer or fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMann View Post
It's a toss up. Not everyone has the convenience of catching their show on a weekly basis, and if they miss the episode, they have to hope for a re-run at a time that is convenient to them.

With me, I prefer having physical and digital media so that I don't have to worry about re-runs on TV anymore, or lamenting the missing of a show no longer on the air, and being able to control the time at which I want to watch something rather than having to conform around it for TV.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #31

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDiaz718 View Post
How about this, Netflix releases the entire season, and YOU watch an episode a week. Great idea, right?
Why people dont realize that by themselves is beyond my mind???
Thanks given by:
whotony (12-10-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #32

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
I prefer weekly viewings, even if they release the whole season I'll only watch a couple a week. I'm one of the few TV show fans I know that don't enjoying binge watching. I'd rather watch a few different shows each night
You probably never watched 24 binge and then tried to watch it weekly. It was a pain.

OFC having all the episodes doesnt mean im going to do overnights. But when an episode ends in cliffhanger or something at least i have the possibility to watch it right away instead of waiting a week
Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 AM   #33
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Then, the cliffhanger episodes are the worst. I just prefer waiting until the second part is released. Like with the Crisis on Earth X 4-parter, I had to wait until all four parts were released before I watched it.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:37 AM   #34

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

A few years ago, I remember reading an interview with some Netflix exec about releasing entire seasons, and if they'd keep doing that, or eventually move to a weekly episode series.
The response was that they would decide based on how they think it would better service the show. Also, they mentioned that it's obvious most people prefer to have the chance to watch the whole season at once of their favorite TV shows.

Seeing as how it has become the norm on Netflix, chances are they'll keep it that way. And why not? As others stated, if you really want to binge watch, knock yourself out. Those who don't just have to be careful with spoilers, I guess.

There's a give and take to any scenario. I figure Netflix will stick with season dumping at this point.
TV - LG OLED65C7L
Player - Oppo UDP-203
Receiver - Marantz SR7011
7.1 surround sound - Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R); Center - 8060HD; surrounds - SM45s
Headphone Rig - Oppo BDP-93 or AK120, AK320 player(s); Schiit Yggdrasil DAC; Violectric V281 amp; MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs, Sennheiser HD650, and more
Old 12-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #35
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I have to agree. Since Netflix has been releasing entire seasons at one shot, they would risk upsetting their subscribers if they started releasing television shows at the rate of one episode per week. I think you would see a mass exodus of subscribers from Netflix. When Netflix approved that TV series, "Dear White People", they lost a LOT of subscribers for what that TV series represented and it resorted to a mass cry on twitter to boycott Netflix.

if Netflix resorted to weekly episode releases, I think they would experience a similar exodus of users.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

I'm two minds regarding this. On one hand, yes, it's obviously fantastic having the majority of their shows to binge in one massive block, but at the same time, a lot of these shows are padded to f*** and could do with some audience feedback mid-season.
LG 55B6V OLED - Sony UBP-X800 4K Player - Sony BDP-S5200 Region A BD Player - Xbox One S - PS4 500gb - Toshiba HD-EP 30 HD DVD Player- Yer Ma
Old 12-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #37
Expert Member

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
I'm two minds regarding this. On one hand, yes, it's obviously fantastic having the majority of their shows to binge in one massive block, but at the same time, a lot of these shows are padded to f*** and could do with some audience feedback mid-season.
Netflix doesn’t have a channel like HBO or Showtime have so they don’t make their money off of ratings or commercials like regular tb stations do. Now if HBO was an Internet only service like Netflix then I would except them to release Season episodes at once and not once a week. Netflix already does the whole stupid mid season thing with parts anymore The that would just ruin it. I don’t subscribe to HBO until they are almost over with GOT season that way I can watch majority of it at once.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #38
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

The problem is that streaming services have lost their minds if they think people will pay a monthly subscription over several months. Which is why Josh Whedon is a qualified idiot.

Streaming services are not broadcast television and they can't act like they are. The majority of TV show fans are not going to pay $19.99 per month or whatever over several months for a 13 or 22 episode season. In effect, you're going to end up paying 10x more than you would by simply waiting for it to be released to home video.

Be honest, if Netflix were to produce a 22 episode TV season and they released episodes one per week on a weekly basis, would you give them $140 over several months in order to watch the entire season when you can pay just $19.99 or whatever the service costs to binge watch the entire series?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #39
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDiaz718 View Post
This is really the only answer
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows