Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70
21 hrs ago
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Masters of Sex: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (Blu-ray)
$2.78
5 hrs ago
Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 11-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #61
Power Member

Sep 2012

I picked up All The Sins of Sodom+Vibrations in the latest Sarno release. Differences between this ATSOS and Vinegar Syndrome's of course is the bitrate is lower with two films on one disc, and the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 on these, which is ever so slightly annoying (If the original theatrical release was 1.85, then I want 1.85).

Other than that, these films look good. I really dig these early black and white Sarno films, there's an appealing grunge factor to them. These 2 films are New York films but under Sarno they feel a lot more European, less of the harsher attitude that typified the New York underground cinema movement of the late 60s into the 70s and more French New Wave.

The extras are nice. It comes with a small booklet with an essay and a couple of commentary tracks and interviews. I kind of wish they could have gotten at least an interview with Maria Lease, who's apparently still alive and has an interesting all around resume. There's an intelligence about her screen presence that's refreshing in these films.

Last edited by llj; 11-06-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #62
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
I picked up All The Sins of Sodom+Vibrations in the latest Sarno release. Differences between this ATSOS and Vinegar Syndrome's of course is the bitrate is lower with two films on one disc, and the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 on these, which is ever so slightly annoying (If the original theatrical release was 1.85, then I want 1.85).

Other than that, these films look good. I really dig these early black and white Sarno films, there's an appealing grunge factor to them. These 2 films are New York films but under Sarno they feel a lot more European, less of the harsher attitude that typified the New York underground cinema movement of the late 60s into the 70s and more French New Wave.

The extras are nice. It comes with a small booklet with an essay and a couple of commentary tracks and interviews. I kind of wish they could have gotten at least an interview with Maria Lease, who's apparently still alive and has an interesting all around resume. There's an intelligence about her screen presence that's refreshing in these films.
On All the Sins of Sodom, about 2:40 in there are 2 or 3 instances where the image freezes for a second. The same thing happens a couple of minutes later. This doesn't happen on the Vinegar Syndrome disc, so I assumed it was a defective pressing. Dr. Svet's review mentions missing frames being evident without further elaboration. Is this what he's referring to, and is he correct? It seems he doesn't have the VS disc to compare. Did anyone else notice the image freezing? I understand the 2 releases may be from different film sources.
PS, I do find the VS too bright compared to the new release, but I shut it off after 12 minutes when the image freezed again. Dissapointed to hear about black crush, but the actress' body looked much lovelier on the new disc, whereas the actors look like they are hit with floodlights on the VS in comparison.
Edit: I heard all the discs have this issue. They should at least put a note on the package or disc, explaining if it's missing frames. Sure a lot of folks went through the hassle of exchanging this for no reason.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.

Last edited by billyearle; 12-07-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:21 AM   #63
Expert Member

Oct 2015
Shinjuku, Tatooine(U.S)

Just watched Time to Die(Tiempo de Morir) wow, great movie.
I hope, I mean really really hope that Film Movement release more Mexican Western never seen one till today. Had me on Google searching for more Mexican Western saw a list. And boy, almost all of them sounds great too.

I know that Film Movement is going to release a Spaghetti Western.
The Great Silence can't wait for that. And yes, hopefully they release more Spaghetti Western too.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:58 AM   #64
Banned

Nov 2017

Has any got the Sissi collection?
Any photos from the case?

is it a regular bluray case?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 AM   #65
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
Has any got the Sissi collection?
Any photos from the case?

is it a regular bluray case?
I found this by googling:

(Don't know how long the link will last...)
Thanks given by:
thinredline (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #66
Banned

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
I found this by googling:

(Don't know how long the link will last...)
Ah, thank you!
We can't see the thickness though of the case.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

Given it's a 5-disc set (4BD+1DVD), it's probably one of these Vortex cases. So probably 7/8" thick.

Thanks given by:
thinredline (12-12-2017)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #68
Special Member

Aug 2012
California

Seeing as how Film Movement is the place to go for things Kitano in the U.S. blu-ray market, I'm really hoping they get Sonatine and Brother for release at some point.

Brother has never had an uncut release in the U.S.
Thanks given by:
cropduster (04-05-2018), trentdiesel (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:41 AM   #69

Sep 2013

I watched my DVD of Brother a month or so ago, and was thinking that somebody needs to release it sooner than later. Same with Sonatine of course. Both are very enjoyable and highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen them
Thanks given by:
cropduster (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #70
Special Member

Aug 2012
California

Has this company gone almost completely DVD only? Almost all of their releases this year have been DVD only.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #71
Expert Member

Jun 2017

The OP could use an update. It's missing the following titles:

Thanks given by:
AKNewbie (04-05-2018), Jobla (06-14-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #72

Nov 2014

Film Movement releasing Jarmenís Edward II in June.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23177
Thanks given by:
Dubstar (06-14-2018), StarDestroyer52 (04-19-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #73

Apr 2016

I read in another part of this forum (I honestly don't remember where) that a few representatives of Film Movement confirmed that they would be releasing the third Outrage film (Outrage Coda) this year and it would be getting a blu-ray release.

I wish they would go ahead and announce and put a date on that. I have been holding off on buying the English friendly Japanese version for this.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #74
Special Member

Feb 2009

What's going on with Sins of Sodom/Vibrations? It no longer seems to be listed on FM site.
Thanks given by:
Zarak (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #75

Jan 2016
Isle of Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
What's going on with Sins of Sodom/Vibrations? It no longer seems to be listed on FM site.
That's odd. Anyone?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #76

Jan 2016
Isle of Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
No longer listed on the Something Weird site either. It's pictured on the main page, but when you click on it, you get a 404 error:

https://alternativecinema.com/movie/...m-vibrations-0
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors