Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
14 hrs ago
Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$85.62
12 hrs ago
Life (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$18.31

Early Man (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$30.37
14 hrs ago
Game Night (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Eaten Alive! (Blu-ray)
$15.49

The Leftovers: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96

A Matter of Life and Death (Blu-ray)
$30.37
17 hrs ago
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 12-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC
Default Would it be beneficial to me to have 90 wpc powering front 3 speakers?

So here is my situation I have an old Pioneer receiver HDMI 1.3, I want Atmos and I want and I want to go with an Arcam receiver that has HDMI 2.1 once it is announced. How will a 90 watts per channel amplifier integrate with my Pioneer receiver that gives me 45 wpc all channels driven.

Arcam 429

683 fronts 200 watts unclipped
HTM 61 center 150 watts unclipped
Avengers: Infinity War has a 4K DI Deadpool 4K DI
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever! When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR! TCM OAR

Last edited by Canada; 12-15-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
So here is my situation I have an old Pioneer receiver HDMI 1.3, I want Atmos and I want and I want to go with an Arcam receiver. How will a 90 watts per channel amplifier integrate with my Pioneer receiver that gives me 45 wpc all channels driven.

Arcam 429
It depends on what AVR your Pioneer is. Does it have Atmos decoding? Or are you replacing the Pioneer with an Arcam that decodes Atmos?
That Arcam amp you quote is very nice and seems a bit much for ceiling speakers. If I had that amp, I'd use it for my 4 surround channels. Then find something a bit less for the ceiling speakers. Maybe even use your Pioneer for them, if it has pre-outs.

Need a bit more info to help more.
Those who are unaware they are walking in darkness, will never seek the light.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

I missed the title of your question.

Yeah, that'd be pretty great for your front 3.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #4

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
So here is my situation I have an old Pioneer receiver HDMI 1.3, I want Atmos and I want and I want to go with an Arcam receiver. How will a 90 watts per channel amplifier integrate with my Pioneer receiver that gives me 45 wpc all channels driven.

Arcam 429

I don't understand your post or I am misreading it completely, how are you planning to accomplish Atmos? You need a decoder.

The Arcam amp you linked to is only a power amp, if in any manner you can connect it to your pioneer HDMI1.3 (you've said integrate) you will never have Atmos as it is an old receiver which wont have Atmos. At the same time you say you want an Arcam receiver. So what's the integration with the Pioneer about?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
I don't understand your post or I am misreading it completely, how are you planning to accomplish Atmos? You need a decoder.

The Arcam amp you linked to is only a power amp, if in any manner you can connect it to your pioneer HDMI1.3 (you've said integrate) you will never have Atmos as it is an old receiver which wont have Atmos. At the same time you say you want an Arcam receiver. So what's the integration with the Pioneer about?
I want to integrate the P 429 with my three front channels to give them more power. I know I will need a new receiver to get Dolby Atmos/DTS X. When I have the new receiver I will use the P 429 to power the ceiling speakers.
Avengers: Infinity War has a 4K DI Deadpool 4K DI
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever! When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR! TCM OAR
Old 12-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
I want to integrate the P 429 with my three front channels to give them more power. I know I will need a new receiver to get Dolby Atmos/DTS X. When I have the new receiver I will use the P 429 to power the ceiling speakers.
That's a good idea. I was going to suggest the P349 for your front three, but I see what you're doing.
That's a pretty great amp that you're looking at. If it's at all possible, if the new AVR has assignable amplifiers, I'd use the P 429 for surround and surround back, and then use the internal AVR amps for ceiling. Like I said, if possible.
Just a thought.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Scratch what I said above.
If you were staying with Arcam for your AVR, the specs on the AVR 850 are 7 channels driven, 100w. That's plenty. The P 429 would be an awesome match with that.
Best of luck Man!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #8

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
You have not provided a lot of details on the Pioneer but if it is only 45W per channel is not one of the top models.

So, I think you should be getting a much more solid sound by adding that separate amp for the three main speakers. Specs and numbers don't always give you an idea on how it will sound but I think chances are in your favor.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
So here is my situation I have an old Pioneer receiver HDMI 1.3, I want Atmos and I want and I want to go with an Arcam receiver that has HDMI 2.1 once it is announced. How will a 90 watts per channel amplifier integrate with my Pioneer receiver that gives me 45 wpc all channels driven.

Arcam 429

What did you end up doing?
How was the price, if you don't mind me asking?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Tags
arcam 429, dolby atmos, receiver