Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.63
9 hrs ago
Black Panther 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99
12 hrs ago
Source Code 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27
1 hr ago
Psycho Biddy Double Feature: Strait-Jacket / Berserk! (Blu-ray)
$8.39

Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08
13 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Jurassic World (Blu-ray)
$7.88

The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.85

Nightwing / Shadow of the Hawk (Blu-ray)
$8.79

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

I Am Legend 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 12-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #821

Dec 2012
-
-
-

One other thing to note is that the PS3 doesn't output lossless audio in 3D mode, so it'd be an imperfect setup regardless.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...diooutput.html

"If Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio output format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital while Blu-ray 3D™ content is being played."
Old 12-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #822

Jun 2011

Standalone is best! PS4 is great when combined with PSVR!
Old 01-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #823
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

The PS3. The HDMI CEC (RIHD) works flawlessly so can fully control with a receiver remote. The ps4 is buggy.

I still use my ps3s for my primary blu-ray player, and I have an oppo and a part. Daily use. The oppo is so slow in comparison. Even now I'm happy with the PS3 performance.
Thanks given by:
Bullitt (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #824
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Staffordshite, UK

I'd have to counter that - never had any issues with either and can use my TV remote to flawlessly control either (booting up the machine or powering it down does the same to the TV....nice and handy IMO)
I only use my PS3 for PS3 games now.

The PS4 loads quicker and the PS4 Pro is nice and crisp, so I'd vote for the Pro personally (though thats my main gaming machine so I try to wear down the Xbox 1s for watching blu's/streaming)

I have a stand alone region A machine too but only use it for the 3 region locked blu's a handful of R1 DVD's I own.
(Pre-)ordered/Shipped: Avengers Infinity War 3D SB / Pacific Rim Uprising HMV SB / Thor Ragnarok Blufans DL
For Sale/Trade:(PM me) Novamedia lenti image o-ring(not lenti finish) GotG 2017 ed / Monsters Inc 3D/2D Kimchi Lenti Steelbook (opened) / Deadpool FAC Fullslip steelbook (opened) /Zootopia Kimchi fullslip (sealed)
Wanted: Wonder Woman Manta Double Lenti / Valerian 3D/4K Steelbook
Old 01-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #825
Power Member

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
The PS3. The HDMI CEC (RIHD) works flawlessly so can fully control with a receiver remote. The ps4 is buggy.

I still use my ps3s for my primary blu-ray player, and I have an oppo and a part. Daily use. The oppo is so slow in comparison. Even now I'm happy with the PS3 performance.
So do I,it has worked flawlessly for years,no need to look elsewhere.
Sapphire 106" screen,BenQ W1070 3D projector.
Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 Samsung PS64E8000
Denon X3300W,PS3 & Sky 1TB.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #826
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota

PS4 for me.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #827

Jul 2016

There's really no reason to use the PS3 over the PS4 for most content.

Blu-ray playback's totally accurate on the PS4 for 1080p content, progressively-flagged DVDs are properly detected and upscaled cleaner than on the PS3, and problems with interlaced-encoded DVDs were fixed through firmware updates years ago.

You also get headphone support with the DualShock 4.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #828
Blu-ray Knight

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
There's really no reason to use the PS3 over the PS4 for most content.

Blu-ray playback's totally accurate on the PS4 for 1080p content, progressively-flagged DVDs are properly detected and upscaled cleaner than on the PS3, and problems with interlaced-encoded DVDs were fixed through firmware updates years ago.

You also get headphone support with the DualShock 4.
Does the PS4 have a decent remote yet?
I'll be back for more bargain bin Blus!

Threads I curate: Big Lots Deals | 7-Eleven Blu-ray Deals | 99-cent HD Rental of the Week
Old 01-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #829

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
So do I,it has worked flawlessly for years,no need to look elsewhere.

I wish my PS3s where this reliable. Had 2 of them die on me
Old 01-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #830
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Agreed. If we can get this thread to say 3D games for PS4, PS3, PSVR, that would be cool.

Zen Pinball on the PS4, and a number of others for 3DTVs, and then the PSVR stereo 3D games.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #831

Jan 2014

This thread is listed under 3D Movies....so does anyone actually use their PS4 to view 3D movies? If so, has anyone fiddled around with the screen size setting to see if it has any effect on the 3D? Other than Screen Size, there appears to be no other 3D Movie specific setting on the PS4.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #832
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
This thread is listed under 3D Movies....so does anyone actually use their PS4 to view 3D movies? If so, has anyone fiddled around with the screen size setting to see if it has any effect on the 3D? Other than Screen Size, there appears to be no other 3D Movie specific setting on the PS4.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Yes, I watch 3D movies using my PS3 and PS4. They have been my main blu ray 3D players since 2010, 2014 for PS4 after they updated it for 3DBR.

The options are minimal at best, but I get great 3D images with them as my player. They have to be updated to play some newer blu rays and BR3D discs though, which is dumb, but no big deal if you have a good internet connection. Those without fast internet suffer though, since PS3 and PS4 won't accept dial up connections.

For the PSVR, I watch a few 3D movies through that too. You can change the screen size from small, medium to large for different scales in the virtual space. You see the screen in front, but everything else is pitch black around it. Would be cool if there was an application that offered a theater with seats. I'd really enjoy that option.

Would also like if the PSVR could also play the 2D games in stereo 3D that are made for stereo 3D TVs. It can only play Zen Pinball in 2D on the PSVR.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #833

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Would this thread be better suited as a discussion of PS3/PS4 video games with 3D technology, such as PSVR?

Or is it still relevant to discuss watching 3D movies on a Playstation?
The more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you.
Scottie's Storefront
Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #834

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Would this thread be better suited as a discussion of PS3/PS4 video games with 3D technology, such as PSVR?

Not sure where the best place to put this would be?

My only 3D blu-ray player is my PS3. So I don't want the thread deleted if that is the implied question.

PSVR is Playstation 4 only I think. Others please correct.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #835

Nov 2012
Bay Area

I had been neglecting my PS3 and recently erased the hard drive in order to get rid of it and free up shelf room, when I realized I hadn't checked out any 3D games on the 40" Samsung 3D display I got last year. (For years, sadly, my only 3D display was the lowly Sony PS3 24" display, which isn't bad, but very small...you can still get these used or refurbished cheap.)

In that downtime had missed three seasons of Pinball Arcade released and who knows how many Pinball FX2 games... 3D pinball is so amazing, I can't imagine anyone wanting to play those in 2D.

I have some on my Gear VR, which is painful to wear for more than 20 minutes.

Unfortunately Pinball Arcade doesn't make 3D versions for the PS4. I good reason to hang on to the PS3.

Also downloaded many 3D documentaries from Vudu on the PS3. The Cuban Cigars doc is quite good. Not sure if it can still be obtained. Also had Dark Country 3D purchased from the Playstation store when that was the only place you could buy it.
If it's only 2D, it's missing half the picture.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #836
Expert Member

Jun 2014
St. Peters, MO

Quote:

I'm also not sure what you are asking. Many of us do use game machines to watch 3d movies still so the thread is suited to the 3D section but I think it would be better in the 3d player section, perhaps stickied there. I wouldn't move it to the game section or re-title it.
Thanks given by:
Scottie (01-30-2018), the13thman (02-10-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #837

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
I'm also not sure what you are asking. Many of us do use game machines to watch 3d movies still so the thread is suited to the 3D section but I think it would be better in the 3d player section, perhaps stickied there. I wouldn't move it to the game section or re-title it.
Perhaps I should update this note in the OP then.

Quote:
Here is a thread dedicated to the discussion of the Playstation 3 in 3D, be it movies, games, technical specs, how it works, software updates, and much, much more!
And make this strictly a thread dedicated to PS3/PS4 as a 3D player.
The more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you.
Scottie's Storefront
Old 02-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #838

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Perhaps I should update this note in the OP then.

And make this strictly a thread dedicated to PS3/PS4 as a 3D player.
I think this thread definitely belongs here in the players sub-forum, as that's what a lot of the questions relate to, but there's no harm in using it to discuss 3D games or 3D content on the Playstation Network as well. I've merged in the PS3 vs PS4 thread too.

Playstation VR has its own thread in the Hardware and Technology forum as that's something of its own thing, it's a tricky one to categorise further down than that...
3D is not dead. What's dead is my interest in any new 2D formats or display technology.
Thanks given by:
dhvsfan (02-18-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #839

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie The Robot View Post
In Australia you can get a cheepy region free bluray player but it does not do 3D. The only option I would have is to invest in an Oppo but dropping $1000 AU on a bluray player is extreme in order to only watch one movie. I still would not have a guarantee that it could do region free 3D.

Does anyone have one and can confirm this?

If the players are as good as they are meant to be I guess it would be an investment in the future. But my Sammy seems to do such a great job already and I can't see what the difference what a $1000 player would make. I know I get HDR and Dolby Vision but I am not sold on those.
If you are on a budget, how about a PS3 or PS4 from Hong Kong? Those are Region A and do 3D well enough.
3D is not dead. What's dead is my interest in any new 2D formats or display technology.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:26 AM   #840
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I would not invest in a high end player. Players are improving every year and it is not worth the premium.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Tags
3-d, 3d blu ray, 3d blu ray sound, dts-hd, ps3, ps3 3d quality