Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.24
It's Alive Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.06
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Boneyard (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
The Lost World (Blu-ray)
$15.26
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #201

Feb 2017

Someone asked on the facebook page about a release for Ocean Waves a week or two ago and Madman said they have no plans to release the Blu-ray version of Ocean Waves unfortunately.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #202
Special Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked1089 View Post
Someone asked on the facebook page about a release for Ocean Waves a week or two ago and Madman said they have no plans to release the Blu-ray version of Ocean Waves unfortunately.
Studio Canal the same BS too.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #203
Special Member

Jul 2009
Perth, Australia

That'll teach me to have faith in Madman. They always find a way to disappoint...
Old 06-24-2017, 02:49 AM   #204
Special Member

Jul 2009
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
Studio Canal the same BS too.
Ocean Waves from Studio Canal is listed on Amazon UK with a release date of July 10?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ocean-Waves...ds=ocean+waves
Old 09-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #205
Contributor

Jul 2010
Australia

The Red Turtle is getting a Studio Ghibli Collection release on the 6th of December.

Features include:
French TV Spot
English Trailer
Michael Dudok de Wit's shorts
- Father and Daughter
- The Aroma of Tea
- The Monk and the Fish
The Birth of a Turtle
Drawing Lesson by Michael Dudok de Wit: The Secrets of The Red Turtle

Last edited by Anamnesis; 10-02-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Switched Picture link to BD Database
Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #206
Contributor

Jul 2010
Australia

Madman will be adding a number of Limited Edition sets to the collection on the 6th of December 2017!!!!!

Last edited by Anamnesis; 10-10-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Thanks given by:
Blueherring (10-04-2017), DefLeppard (11-23-2017), ian959 (10-05-2017), mikezilla2 (10-29-2017), TheLumberjack (01-26-2018)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #207
Contributor

Jul 2010
Australia

Interested to see that GKids and Shout Factory now have the rights to all the Ghibli films in the US... no more Disney....

http://nerdist.com/hayao-miyazaki-bl...studio-ghibli/
Thanks given by:
mikezilla2 (10-29-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:25 AM   #208
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
AZ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamnesis View Post
Interested to see that GKids and Shout Factory now have the rights to all the Ghibli films in the US... no more Disney....

Disney still has the North American Home Video rights to The Wind Rises due to its 2013/2014 release dates.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:33 AM   #209
Expert Member

Aug 2013
Australia, m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamnesis View Post

Further to the above note on The Wind Rises- Sentai Filmworks is retaining their licence for Grave of the Fireflies as that is licenced out differently
Local youth preaches Mawaru Penguindrum; unsettles community.
Add me on PSN if y'all want. User: Sylontack
Thanks given by:
mikezilla2 (10-29-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:22 AM   #210
Contributor

Jul 2010
Australia

Looks like all of the above have been removed from release this year and only Laputa and Spirited Away sets now have a release date in Feb 2018...

Last edited by Anamnesis; 11-17-2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #211

Mar 2017
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Own the UK release and bought the Australian release of Spirited Away today (as the UK only has a 5.1 lossless mix).
Overall, a mixed blessing. The Japanese 6.1 DTS-HD track is awesome, but prefer the UK Japanese subtitles (as the Australian subtitles differ in places and based on my knowledge of Japanese, the translation takes liberties and is not a direct translation with many phrases).

Audio - AUS vs. UK
Comparing to the 5.1 UK mix to the 6.1 AU mix and the 6.1 DTS-HD MA sounds way better than UK 5.1 in many places. Sound appears more forceful from each particular speaker (perhaps the fact it is a "discrete" track vs. "matrix"). When the family take off down the track driving fast after noticing their house on the hill…At 2.31; When Dad yells out "We're fine, we got four wheel drive" and the Mum replies "Suwatte o kudasai" (Sit down please), you can really hear it come from the right front (Dad), then the left front channel (Mum). On the 5.1 UK mix, the voices seems to be somewhere between the centre/right and centre/left respectively.

At 4.16-4.20, (Chihiro refuses to go into the tunnel and looks at the stone spirit representation) a bird can be heard across the rear speakers (from left to right). On the AU 6.1 mix, the sound seems to travel across the rears more smoothly. While in the UK 5.1, it is heard in the left rear and in the right but the transition of noise across the back speakers is not as eloquent.

Overall, the instruments burst out of the speakers better and the track, while being a bit louder, feel's more forceful. Dialogue sounds way better, less mixed in with the rest of the soundtrack.

Japanese Subtitles - AUS vs. UK
However, as I mentioned in the intro, we have trouble in paradise. There are many subtitle inconsistencies and it is obvious from the start, the Australian subtitles are different translation to the UK… And I'm afraid the UK appears more authentic as it appears to be more literal (judging from my 3 years of Japanese at high school).

First time you notice subtitle inconsistencies. At the start, Aussie subs: "Look. There's the Elementary School" and on the UK it's "Look. There's the School". Not much diff, I know. But as you go along, there are a lot more differences. At lease every fifth line appears to have a different "take" on what is said and how best to translate the words/phrases into English.

I'll start with how the subs differ after the title card appears. At 1min58secs:

AU
Dad: Wait a minute. Did I take a wrong turn? I don't get it.
Mum: That must be it up there. The blue one on the end.
Dad: That' it. I guess I turned off too soon. Maybe if we go straight?
Mum: Oh, please. That's how we always get lost.
UK
Dad: Eh? Did I take the wrong turn. That's odd…
Mum: That must be it, look. It must be that blue one on the corner.
Dad: That's it. I must've missed the turn-off. I'll bet this road'll get us there.
Mum: This is always how you get us lost.

AU:
Dad: Let's just see what's up here.
Chihiro: What are those things?
Mum: Houses for the guardian spirits.
UK
Dad: Just a little further. Okay?
Chihiro: What are those little houses?
Mum: They're shrines. People pray to them.

AU:
Driving along the track…
Chihiro: Dad, are you sure?
Dad: Don't worry, we've got four wheel drive.
Mum: Sit down, Chihiro.
Mum: What are you doing? Slow down.
Dad: There's a tunnel.
UK:
Driving along the track…
Chihiro: Dad, will we be okay?
Dad: We're fine, we've got 4-wheel drive.
Mum: Sit down, Chihiro.
Mum: You're going to kill us.
Dad: A tunnel.

NOTE: I picked up from my basic Japanese that what is bolded is literally wrong on both tracks. The mum says "Chihiro, Suwatte, o kudasai" - Litterally it should be "Chihiro, sit down please". Both subs get it wrong with artistic liberties taken for entertainment purposes.

Will continue with the comparison. After they've raced through the track and before Dad brakes before the tunnel:
AU
Dad: There's a tunnel?
Dad gets out the car.
Mum: What's this building.
Dad: It looks like a gate.
UK
Dad: A tunnel?
Dad gets out the car.
Mum: What is this building?
Dad: Some kind of entrance gate.

AU
Dad walks into the tunnel.
AU Mum: Honey, I think we should go back.
Chihiro gets out the car.
Mum: Chihiro. Honestly.
UK
Dad walks into the tunnel.
Mum: Let's go back dear.
Chihiro gets out the car.
Mum: Chihiro… No.

Now, this is where I think the Australian translation sucks balls. All that is said in the underlined part on the audio is "Chihiro! Noh." But the Australian translation appears to think that "noh" is "Honestly!" when translated. There is another example up further with the use of "Sumimasen" translating to "You've got customers"...

Here is another big Australian subtitle stuff-up. In the very next scene, when Dad rubs the wall inside the tunnel. He says "Nan da?" which literally is translated as "What?" then he says "It's just plaster." Which is what the UK subs say.
On the Aussie subs, we get: "Look at this. It's just plaster". "Nan da?" is not "Look at this."

Most interesting thus far, when Dad is looking for staff at the restaurant before they pig out, "Sumimasen" is what is yelled out. From my basic knowledge of Japanese, it is technically "Excuse me", although used in a variety of situations like "I'm sorry" or, as in this case to get someones attention.
On the Australian dub, the second time Dad says "Sumimasen" you have "You got customers!" on the UK sub, you get "Hello?"… Both kind of inconsistent with a direct translation but "Hello?" is more appropriate than "You got customers."(and hence why we have two different translations found on both releases).

Here is a comparison of both subtitles from 7m45s

AU: Dad sniffs: This way.
Mum: Can you believe it? Nothing but restaurants.
Chihiro: There's nobody here.
UK:
Dad sniffs: This way!
Mum: Can you believe they're all restaurants?
Chihiro: There's nobody around.

AU:
Dad: Over there.
Dad runs to restaurant and calls to his family..
Dad: Come on!
Dad looks around, the family catches up. Dad notices them and he speaks.
Dad: Come take a look.
UK:
Dad: Over there!
Dad runs to restaurant and calls to his family.

Dad: Hey! Hey!
Dad looks around, the family catches up. Dad notices them and he speaks.
Dad: In here.

Again, I'm inclined to prefer the UK translation. Dad makes two noises that sound like "Oiy! Oiy!, hence "Hey! Hey!" which is a lot better than "Come On"

AU:
Mum. This is amazing.
Dad: Hello, is anybody here!
Mum: Come on Chihiro. It looks delicious.
Dad: You got customers! (Japanese audio: Sumimasen)
UK
Mum: How amazing!
Dad: Hello, anybody here?
Mum: Come in, Chihiro, it looks delicious.
Dad: Hello? (Japanese audio: Sumimasen)

As I said earlier (and if you're still reading, you're a trooper!), Sumimasen is excuse me…The Aussie translation gives us "You got customers"

Anyhow, with that comparison all I can say is I wish the Aussie Japanese 6.1 DTS-HD ES Discrete audio track was accompanied by the UK subtitles.

I guess the Australian subtitles for the Japanese track should be called a subdub.
Could be a different master to the UK track, but I am pretty sure the actual Japanese words spoken are the same, just translated differently.

Plus, I noted that AUS release- 2.04.31 broken into 16 chapters.
UK release - 2.04.33 (12 Chapters). Aussie release has a couple more extras.
I noticed this as well between the Japanese and U.K. subtitles... yet there are still people saying that the Japanese releases are the ultimate ultimate studio approved editions. True that I think the AUS/US/JP subtitles were the ones commissioned by the studio (Jim Hubbert), and that the U.K. one was done by StudioCanal (the Optimum DVD subs were slightly different, too).
It should be noted that there’s a missing line in the U.K. subs when Lin (or Rin on U.K. disc) and Chihiro leave the boiler room.
Also the font of the English subs on the Japanese discs looks greyish and wonky.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:19 AM   #212
Contributor

Jul 2010
Australia

Madman have added Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke Limited Edition Boxes to their March line up (the 7th to be exact)

Also of interest to Ghibli fans on the 7th is a Blu-ray release of Ronja, The Robber's Daughter!

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia