Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33
Jurassic Park Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.78
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.68
The Lion of Judah 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Ocean Predators 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.46
Pixels 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.65
Spiders 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Default Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED Component Combination 3D Tweak

Oppo 203 & LG 3D OLED 3D Parameter Calibration Adjustments for “Reference-Quality 3D” Experiences

The potential is there for consistent “reference-quality 3D” when both Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED expand 3D parameter-plane-level values.
Native-3D will produce “natural proportional-depth” in both the negative and positive plane realms.

These adjustments will also make Disney•Pixar movies like ”UP” look @ or close to reference-3D levels, instead of conservative.

Before calibration, It is important to start the process while having a 3D-Blu-ray movie in play.
The display needs to automatically switch itself to “native-3D mode” which avoids “3D-conversion-mode” that can be set in-error, and not relevant to native-3D setup.

Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED.

*Customizing the Oppo 203 for 3D output levels:

"The Oppo 203 needs to consistently send out all 3D-video MVC information as a complete unaltered signal.

Assuring this, use the following Oppo custom settings:

Settings -> Video Output setup -> 3D Settings

(Setup Menu> 3D Setting: 3D Output > (Forced) and 2D->3D Depth > (16).
(“Forced” influences native-3D output levels).

Oppo 203 setup menu:
Oppo 203 3D settings.jpg

3D TV size should be set to your display screen size.

Exit Oppo Setup.

*Customizing the LG 3D OLED in the “native-3D” mode setup menu:

(LG OLED “3D mode”: “Manual” produces visual customization controls)

Manual” 3D parameter level settings:
3D Depth” should be set to (+20) and “3D Viewpoint” should be set to (-5)
Both settings provide precise plane-intersection alignment coordinates.
See picture below:
LG native-3D manual sets.jpg

Auto-mode" needs to be set before exiting.
See picture below.
LG Auto set 800.jpg

(Auto is visually superior for controlling parameter level increases that optimize 3D layering, blending the planes seamlessly and smoothing them out for consistent visual levels-in-space.)

After exiting the setup, get ready for a quality 3D experience!
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (12-20-2017), eselv73 (12-25-2017), EVERRET (12-29-2017), Franchot (12-23-2017), Lionet (12-26-2017), Retired Flyer (12-21-2017), revgen (12-25-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Yes Paul without a doubt. With both region free oppo203 and lg oled 77 and 65 g6ps, there is no doubt it is hard to find a 3d documentary, live or animated movie that is not literally perfect. I went through War/Planet Apes and The Great Wall looking for problems and they were both outstanding. It is so seamless and easy too. Just use the setup you gave me for the oppo and oleds and then just pop in blu ray.

Thank you too for letting everyone know about this combination. There is a good chance I would not have bought these systems if it weren't for you. I can't believe how great this system is. Everytime I watch a dream I've had for 45 years has been realized.

ps: And good snag on the region free oppo 203! Don't think you can go wrong with refurbished oppo.

pss if you get a chance maybe repeat the numbers you gave me so others with our system might try them on the oppo and oled. i call them little o and big o.

Merry Christmas to everyone and especially you Paul!!!
Source
Old 12-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #3

Dec 2015
Nashville, TN

This sounds great. Is it possible to achieve this reference native 3D output on other source devices like HTPC or other blu-ray players?Also could this work on a projector?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

Aug 2015

A problem with increasing the depth is it sometimes introduces crosstalk, or make it worse when it's already there.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
A problem with increasing the depth is it sometimes introduces crosstalk, or make it worse when it's already there.
My two passive LG OLED 3D displays give me consistent crosstalk-free passive-3D experiences.

Passive 3D Glasses I have used:
RealD 3D (From the theatrical exhibitions) (Guests use these the most)
Gunnar Midnight Onyx (RealD Certified)-My favorite
Gunnar Gliff
LG 3D (AG-F315)
Oakley HDO 3D Gascan
Sony TDG-500P
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #6

Jul 2017
Default Retire Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Oppo 203 & LG 3D OLED 3D Parameter Calibration Adjustments for “Reference-Quality 3D” Experiences

The potential is there for consistent “reference-quality 3D” when both Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED expand 3D parameter-plane-level values.
Native-3D will produce “natural proportional-depth” in both the negative and positive plane realms.

These adjustments will also make Disney•Pixar movies like ”UP” look @ or close to reference-3D levels, instead of conservative.

Before calibration, It is important to start the process while having a 3D-Blu-ray movie in play.
The display needs to automatically switch itself to “native-3D mode” which avoids “3D-conversion-mode” that can be set in-error, and not relevant to native-3D setup.

Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED.

*Customizing the Oppo 203 for 3D output levels:

"The Oppo 203 needs to consistently send out all 3D-video MVC information as a complete unaltered signal.

Assuring this, use the following Oppo custom settings:

Settings -> Video Output setup -> 3D Settings

(Setup Menu> 3D Setting: 3D Output > (Forced) and 2D->3D Depth > (16).
(“Forced” influences native-3D output levels).

Oppo 203 setup menu:
Attachment 189259

3D TV size should be set to your display screen size.

Exit Oppo Setup.

*Customizing the LG 3D OLED in the “native-3D” mode setup menu:

(LG OLED “3D mode”: “Manual” produces visual customization controls)

Manual” 3D parameter level settings:
3D Depth” should be set to (+20) and “3D Viewpoint” should be set to (-5)
Both settings provide precise plane-intersection alignment coordinates.
See picture below:
Attachment 189261

Auto-mode" needs to be set before exiting.
See picture below.
Attachment 189262

(Auto is visually superior for controlling parameter level increases that optimize 3D layering, blending the planes seamlessly and smoothing them out for consistent visual levels-in-space.)

After exiting the setup, get ready for a quality 3D experience!
Thanks. I have the 77 & 65 G series and the 203 and your settings worked wonders with the 3d picture. Just in time for Christmas 3d movies for the visiting family. I've been collectingfor a year and have over 130 3d disks. Can't say thanks enough.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
Special Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
That is correct. the D 20, VP -5 settings definitely will make objects jump off the screen, but will also increase crosstalk most commonly from white objects on a black background. House of Wax is a great example, go to and look at the buttons on the wax figure policeman at 48:56. Where there were two rows of buttons now there are four.

Interestingly if you use the real 3D glasses you get from the movie theater that look like cheap Rayban Wayfarer's they actually are a bit darker and mask the crosstalk very well or better than the 3D glasses that came with the Oled.

IMO auto is the best setting and the 3D on the 203 is a vast improvement over what it was on the Oppo 103. The D20, VP -5 settings on the 103 were really needed to make 3D look decent.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
That is correct. the D 20, VP -5 settings definitely will make objects jump off the screen, but will also increase crosstalk most commonly from white objects on a black background. House of Wax is a great example, go to and look at the buttons on the wax figure policeman at 48:56. Where there were two rows of buttons now there are four.

Interestingly if you use the real 3D glasses you get from the movie theater that look like cheap Rayban Wayfarer's they actually are a bit darker and mask the crosstalk very well or better than the 3D glasses that came with the Oled.

IMO auto is the best setting and the 3D on the 203 is a vast improvement over what it was on the Oppo 103. The D20, VP -5 settings on the 103 were really needed to make 3D look decent.
Masking ghosting is what I believe 3D OLED consumer displays excel at. Find it superior to every theatrical digital projection I've experienced.

Tested button artifact ghosting @ the 48:56 time mark on House of Wax 3D, first with an LG65E6P 3D OLED and then an LG65EG9600 OLED with the Oppo 203 via 3D combo Tweak adjustments, using RealD 3D glasses and then LG 3D Glasses.

I do not see any crosstalk or even slight mirror smearing of button reflections on the black fabric, in either of the two rows on the uniform of the wax figure policemen. I'm betting there would be artifacting with 3D Plasma or with an LCD 3D display.

See 2D left-image picture of House of Wax 3D from the Blu-ray 3D, (48:56 time) in "Spoiler" below:

Last edited by Paul H; 12-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (12-29-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
Power Member

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Hi email king,

That is what I discovered too with my modest equipment listed below.

I found I got the most "punch" increasing the set from the default of 0 to +2 (-2 to +2 range) and decreasing the player from 0 to -2 (same range options). Along with the increased depth without distorting the proportion of distances between objects, pictures remained quite sharp and detailed as well.

A while back put on Avatar and noticed ghosting I did not recall seeing before. Began looking more critically on newer discs and saw slight halos which I was bothered by. So kept everything at default and the crosstalk was eliminated except for a rare occurrence. The picture quality was a bit more vibrant as well, however, as you pointed out, there was a slight decrease in the overall 3D depth. Actually, the increased depth fooled me for it wasn't really accurate though being a bit more impressive.

Its like those who have color too strong. It might give a more awesome effect but its also artificial.

So its easy to be fooled.

Fortunately, this had nothing to do with my calibration settings nor that of my darbee processor. I only had to stop giving into temptation to see if I could tweak 3D more so not to fall onto the trap I wasn't getting the most out of my setup.
Sony KD50W800B monitor, Sony S5500 3D blu ray player, Panasonic DMR E18 DVD recorder, Darbee 5000S video processor, Dennon AVR x2100W receiver, Phase Technology main speakers, Yamaha middle and surround speakers, Infinity subwoofer plus a 40 year old but very good Dynaco book shelf speaker for the back middle speaker.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Actually, the increased depth fooled me for it wasn't really accurate though being a bit more impressive.

Its like those who have color too strong. It might give a more awesome effect but its also artificial.

So its easy to be fooled.

Fortunately, this had nothing to do with my calibration settings nor that of my darbee processor. I only had to stop giving into temptation to see if I could tweak 3D more so not to fall onto the trap I wasn't getting the most out of my setup.
Hi Joe,

The problem with "adjusting 3D screen depth" on the majority of consumer 3D components is that setup-settings globally access 2D-to-3D conversion parameters that affect native-3D. This would explain the artificial look.

The difference in directly accessing native-3D mode is being able to expand the pertinent parameters which can increase digital processing levels, fully optimizing the native-3D encode potential.

The result is real-world, proportional, native-3D depth visuals from plane parameter alignment at accurate levels-in-space. This is not fake conversion manipulation.

Conservative and medium 3D descriptions are for default settings that have 3D digital processing reduced. The product of a past history of component inefficiency where strong levels induce eye-discomfort associated with head-aches, and ghosting/cross talk problems.

Last edited by Paul H; 12-24-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #11

Mar 2015

Has anyone tried similar with a Sony 3D BD player? Not possible?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Hi Joe,

The problem with "adjusting 3D screen depth" on the majority of consumer 3D components is that setup-settings globally access 2D-to-3D conversion parameters that affect native-3D. This would explain the artificial look.

The difference in directly accessing native-3D mode is being able to expand the pertinent parameters which can increase digital processing levels, fully optimizing the native-3D encode potential.

The result is real-world, proportional, native-3D depth visuals from plane parameter alignment at accurate levels-in-space. This is not fake conversion manipulation.

Conservative and medium 3D descriptions are for default settings that have 3D digital processing reduced. The product of a past history of component inefficiency where strong levels induce eye-discomfort associated with head-aches, and ghosting/cross talk problems.
Hi Paul,

Thanks as always for your insight on these things. Took me a few readings to fully comprehend the technical jargon but do understand what you mean. In general terms, there would be no way for an individual to know if the default settings were correct without that 3D calibration disc. It would be like trying to adjust basic TV settings like brightness, contrast, etc by eyeballing it.

So after a while I caught onto the little nuances when watching discs I had previously seen and noticed increased depth accompanied by slight ghosting or shimmering.

And I guess that meant the depth, that I thought was still natural, was affected with objects not being in their proper plane of proportion

Fortunately, all the basic and advanced user settings were made with a calibration disc. Otherwise that in itself would still be throwing the 3D off, probably much worse than just the depth adjustments.

Hey, happy and healthy holidays to you and yours.
Sony KD50W800B monitor, Sony S5500 3D blu ray player, Panasonic DMR E18 DVD recorder, Darbee 5000S video processor, Dennon AVR x2100W receiver, Phase Technology main speakers, Yamaha middle and surround speakers, Infinity subwoofer plus a 40 year old but very good Dynaco book shelf speaker for the back middle speaker.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-24-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #13

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Has anyone tried similar with a Sony 3D BD player? Not possible?
Agreed, Sony X800 suggestions welcomed
Old 12-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Power Member

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by eselv73 View Post
Agreed, Sony X800 suggestions welcomed
Hey guys,

Would a KD be suffice for an "X"?

I used to have my 800b set to +2 with the Sony Blu-ray player at -2. It expanded depth back to front without distortion or affecting picture quality.

Or that was what I thought. Recently put on Avatar and noticed crosstalk not seen before. It wasn't tremendous but it made viewing different and despite the outstanding 3D, that sudden, the additional crosstalk would no longer make it for a reference quality demonstration. It was too much of a distraction.

Put on Valerian and took a more critical view. Noticed a slight halo around objects at times, nothing critical but there. So I went back to the default zero settings on both. Absolutely no crosstalk. And I tried hard to find some.

Avatar still had some slight ghosting at times, just as I recalled it before I tried fooling around with the depth settings.

So the adjustments gave what I thought was more punch. What I mentioned to Paul was that it added a subtle amount of depth which was more artificial and prone to subtle crosstalk at times. Now I'm used to the depth back at zero and it is admittedly more pleasing due to no slight distortion I had probably gotten used to. Again, the picture overall was gorgeous with a good disc but there was that subtle addition of unwanted crosstalk, etc I was unaware of until Avatar was put in.

As far as simulated. It helps to keep the TV at the default and send s simulated signal from the player. I use the middle setting. No crosstalk. Not like real 3D but there is depth with objects up front.

Happy holidays
Old 12-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #15

Jan 2017

If I’m not mistaken any adjustments you make on your Oled in 3-D manual mode are void when you switch back to auto. Am I right on this? I just bought my 203 and combined it with a 65 inch C6. I’ve got a lot of questions I would love some answers. Thanks
Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #16

Jul 2017

Quote:
Masking ghosting is what I believe 3D OLED consumer displays excel at. Find it superior to every theatrical digital projection I've experienced.

Tested button artifact ghosting @ the 48:56 time mark on House of Wax 3D, first with an LG65E6P 3D OLED and then an LG65EG9600 OLED with the Oppo 203 via 3D combo Tweak adjustments, using RealD 3D glasses and then LG 3D Glasses.

I do not see any crosstalk or even slight mirror smearing of button reflections on the black fabric, in either of the two rows on the uniform of the wax figure policemen. I'm betting there would be artifacting with 3D Plasma or with an LCD 3D display.

See 2D left-image picture of House of Wax 3D from the Blu-ray 3D, (48:56 time) in "Spoiler" below:
[Show spoiler]Attachment 189423
Crosstalk & ghosting aren't there with my LG 65 & 77 G6P. Your tweeks put IMAX 3D showings to shame. Maybe that's the reason LG doesn't make them anymore. I wasn't impressed with the IMAX quality of the new Star Wars movie. Maybe if it was with their new laser projectors, it might approach what we have at home. Thanks again Paul.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottyLee View Post
If I’m not mistaken any adjustments you make on your Oled in 3-D manual mode are void when you switch back to auto. Am I right on this?
Calibration takes place in native-3D setup mode, not conversion mode, and 3D controls appear in "Manual" mode, not "Auto" mode, but visual changes remain.

Leaving the display in "Manual" 3D mode can produce noticeable aspect-ratio fluctuation that "Auto" mode corrects.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #18

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Flyer View Post
Crosstalk & ghosting aren't there with my LG 65 & 77 G6P. Your tweeks put IMAX 3D showings to shame. Maybe that's the reason LG doesn't make them anymore. I wasn't impressed with the IMAX quality of the new Star Wars movie. Maybe if it was with their new laser projectors, it might approach what we have at home. Thanks again Paul.
I'm not a big fan of IMAX 3D. Laser Real3D (Cinemax XD) and Dolby Vision 3D are the best I've experienced.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottyLee View Post
If I’m not mistaken any adjustments you make on your Oled in 3-D manual mode are void when you switch back to auto. Am I right on this? I just bought my 203 and combined it with a 65 inch C6. I’ve got a lot of questions I would love some answers. Thanks
Auto mode is strictly a native-3D function that has no setup access in "3D conversion mode".

"AUTO" mode seems to mimic the brain function which fuses binocular disparity (combines depth using the L & R 2D images), "3D Depth" @ +20 and "3D Viewpoint" @ -5 parameter placement blends seamless "real-world" proportionally-natural visual levels-in-space.

That does not happen when results are 'conservative' with "manual" 3D default settings; but only with "manual" settings as described above, with "Auto" enabled.

Last edited by Paul H; 12-29-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Studying what the Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED Component Combination 3D Tweak does for me.

When I experience classic Golden-Era 3D titles I get a good sense of correct proportional distance from the 3D plane-level separation distances, similar to what I see in real-life from my left and right eye angles.

In the same sense of correct proportional distance I now find todays CGI and live-action Blu-ray 3D titles, both native and conversions with this similar observation.
Interesting fact is that there are a few titles that do not show proportional changes, which may be from being authored from smaller VR or lens interaxial distances.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion