Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: SpaceCamp $13.33 (17% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Sandlot (Blu-ray)
$7.21
Inception 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Zero Dark Thirty (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Hammer Films Double Feature: Never Take Candy from a Stranger/Scream of Fear (Blu-ray)
$8.11
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Lords of Dogtown (Blu-ray)
$8.11
Hammer Films Double Feature: Maniac/Die! Die! My Darling! (Blu-ray)
$8.11
The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.00
Jeepers Creepers 3 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Justice League (Blu-ray)
$24.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 02:30 AM   #1

Aug 2016
Question Help with Soundbar 4K-passthrough?

Hi, trying to change around my parents tv setup. They have their Sony HT-CT370 soundbar connected to the tv through optical. I want to switch it to HDMI so that the soundbar will turn on and off with the TV.

The TV is a 4K Samsung and only has HDR through Port 1. The soundbar has 3 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out.

According to this: https://www.sony.com/electronics/sou...specifications

...the soundbar will pass through 4K signals. It doesn’t mention HDR.

If I plug the Apple TV 4K and a Sony UBP-X800 UHD player into the soundbar, and then plug the soundbar into Port 1, will both devices feed the full 4K/HDR signal to the TV?

(With the current optical audio setup, the soundbar stays as is, and we have to swap the HDMI 1 cable between the Player and the Apple TV as necessary.)

If the passthrough I describe in bold above works, would all 3 cables need to be high speed HDMI?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I can't see anything about HDR in the sound bar's manual. Just 4K. So I'd suggest keeping the Apple TV and UHD BD player plugged (You'd have to pick up a HDMI switcher) into the TV's HDR supported HDMI port and connect the sound bar to the TV's ARC and sound bar's HDMI ARC output.

Saying that, it's worth plugging the Apple and UHD BD player into the sound bar and testing HDR content, as you already have the equipment to do so. But your sound bar would need to support HDCP 2.2, generally it would say on the ports if it is supported.

All your cables need to be high-speed Cat. 2 HDMI cables, you can picked up certified 4K cables at a reasonable cost, as they're guaranteed to work with the higher bandwidths. High speed cables should work, but sometimes they don't due to longer lengths and a couple of other reasons.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Thanks given by:
Mr. Explorer (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #3

Aug 2016
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I can't see anything about HDR in the sound bar's manual. Just 4K. So I'd suggest keeping the Apple TV and UHD BD player plugged (You'd have to pick up a HDMI switcher) into the TV's HDR supported HDMI port and connect the sound bar to the TV's ARC and sound bar's HDMI ARC output.

Saying that, it's worth plugging the Apple and UHD BD player into the sound bar and testing HDR content, as you already have the equipment to do so. But your sound bar would need to support HDCP 2.2, generally it would say on the ports if it is supported.

All your cables need to be high-speed Cat. 2 HDMI cables, you can picked up certified 4K cables at a reasonable cost, as they're guaranteed to work with the higher bandwidths. High speed cables should work, but sometimes they don't due to longer lengths and a couple of other reasons.
Thanks for the help!

As suspected, the soundbar pass through did not work. On the Apple TV it sent 4K to the tv, but not HDR. Meanwhile on the UHD player, all it could send was 1080p SDR!

Hooking up the soundbar to the TVs ARC-enabled HDMI port was easy though, and does what we want it to do.

Now, do you have any recommendations for a good HDMI switcher that will handle 4K HDR?
Thanks given by:
chip75 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Explorer View Post
Thanks for the help!

As suspected, the soundbar pass through did not work. On the Apple TV it sent 4K to the tv, but not HDR. Meanwhile on the UHD player, all it could send was 1080p SDR!

Hooking up the soundbar to the TVs ARC-enabled HDMI port was easy though, and does what we want it to do.

Now, do you have any recommendations for a good HDMI switcher that will handle 4K HDR?
It depends on how much you want to spend, look for ones with a remote. Some need power supplies and some have neat features like Picture in Picture modes. Which can be very handy.

You just have to have a look on Amazon to see what suits your needs and supports HDR. Just be careful some support 4K but not HDR (so they're a bit like your sound bar).
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Thanks given by:
Mr. Explorer (01-02-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion