Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Beethoven (iTunes)$4.99
The Americans, Season 1 (iTunes)$9.99
Evening (iTunes)$4.99
Independence Day (iTunes)$4.99
The Strain, Season 1 (iTunes)$9.99
Nightcrawler (iTunes)$9.99
Taken (iTunes)$4.99
APB, Season 1 (iTunes)$9.99 Captain Fantastic (iTunes)$9.99
Dunkirk (iTunes)$12.99 Battle of the Sexes (iTunes)$9.99 All the President's Men (iTunes)$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 12-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #6121

Jul 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Yeah, it's a shame that Criterion don't include their extras on their iTunes releases. Arrow Video releases, on the other hand, have all the extras that also come with their discs. I bought their Donnie Darko release on iTunes for $5 a few days ago, which includes hours of extras. A steal.
Great deal I have the physical release. Arrow did a great job with Donnie Darko.

btw, Criterion has their digital subscription. So, they are pushing their own digital service. That would be my guess why you won't see their extras on iTunes. I hear it's good, but I don't want to pay for another subscription.
Would love on Blu-ray:
Something Wicked this Way Comes, After Hours, Drugstore Cowboy, Maximum Overdrive, Bringing Out the Dead, The Dead Zone, Mr. Rice's Secret, Christiane F.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #6122

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Same here. I don't see why it has to be either or. The majority of my purchases are digital these days, but I still buy discs of certain titles that are classics, depend heavily on the visuals, or have substantial exclusive bonus material. 3D is also still a draw for me and only available on disc for new titles. The next disc I'll buy will probably be Blade Runner 2049 3D.
Yeah, it's a shame that Criterion don't include their extras on their iTunes releases. Arrow Video releases, on the other hand, have all the extras that also come with their discs. I bought their Donnie Darko release on iTunes for $5 a few days ago, which includes hours of extras. A steal.
Arrow do have some good sales on iTunes. However I've noticed the vast majority of their movies are deliberately sabotaged on iTunes. Most Italian titles have an option of both the Italian track and the English audio track, however on iTunes, Arrow pick for you. So if you prefer the Italian track on What Have You Done to Solange? then too bad because they only offer the English without subs also IIRC. Arrow obviously have a vested interest in people buying their physical releases and I can do without the special features but when they do that with their Italian titles it's not good.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:47 AM   #6123

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

Nearly half of respondents in this survey from IBM Cloud Video say that they can't get recommendations to watch something else while using video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu & HBO Go.

Quote:
Where's the streaming video you really want to see? Good question

Nearly half of streaming-video viewers say services like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu don't recommend what they want to watch, according to a new study.

Even for streaming video, it's true what they say: You can't always get what you want.

The top complaint consumers have about streaming-video services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hulu is lack of content, according to a survey by IBM Cloud Video, which powers streaming for online video providers. Nearly half of those users say video-streaming services rarely or never recommend something they want to watch, the survey says.

https://www.cnet.com/news/streaming-...me-video-hulu/

I suppose that cannot be helped with streaming services having temporary deals in place from the studios for people to watch stuff on their services for a limited period of time. This is not a problem with having original content from a service; but it is a problem for those who like to watch third party content to make their subscription more worthwhile.

People who are into enjoying both streaming and physical may be more undecided with this approach.

And people are completely into physical media all the time; they may be fine in not having to worry about watching their stuff at any time without any worries of accessing back up servers from a video service provider.
Thanks given by:
TROLLY (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #6124

Jul 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
Nearly half of respondents in this survey from IBM Cloud Video say that they can't get recommendations to watch something else while using video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu & HBO Go.

https://www.cnet.com/news/streaming-...me-video-hulu/

I suppose that cannot be helped with streaming services having temporary deals in place from the studios for people to watch stuff on their services for a limited period of time. This is not a problem with having original content from a service; but it is a problem for those who like to watch third party content to make their subscription more worthwhile.

People who are into enjoying both streaming and physical may be more undecided with this approach.

And people are completely into physical media all the time; they may be fine in not having to worry about watching their stuff at any time without any worries of accessing back up servers from a video service provider.

I canít believe Roku is the most popular streaming platform. I donít know anyone personally, who uses it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 PM   #6125
Expert Member

Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLY View Post
I canít believe Roku is the most popular streaming platform. I donít know anyone personally, who uses it.

Everybody in my family has one. It's the best box because it has the most apps. Apple, Amazon, and Google play games with how their apps or services are available on other platforms. Roku has been neutral for years and has benefited because of it.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (01-04-2018), flyry (01-04-2018), huskerbear (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 AM   #6126
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMan View Post
Everybody in my family has one. It's the best box because it has the most apps. Apple, Amazon, and Google play games with how their apps or services are available on other platforms. Roku has been neutral for years and has benefited because of it.
I guess I fall into Other, no Box for me Direct Connect to Sony UHD TV and I can connect to any Provider I want. With Amazon, MA, Sony Ultra, and Vudu my Collection of Movies and the content available I have no complains. I look for the best price for my Digital Movies, and the HD or UHD is fantastic with my Fiber Connection! I told you guys this day would come, and I think it's here!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #6127
Expert Member

Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I guess I fall into Other, no Box for me Direct Connect to Sony UHD TV and I can connect to any Provider I want. With Amazon, MA, Sony Ultra, and Vudu my Collection of Movies and the content available I have no complains. I look for the best price for my Digital Movies, and the HD or UHD is fantastic with my Fiber Connection! I told you guys this day would come, and I think it's here!
I have a Sony UHD and my entire digital collection through Vudu. However, apps such as PS Vue are mucher slower on the TV compared to a Roku or Amazon Fire.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 AM   #6128
Expert Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Just compare the prices. Roku sticks start at $30, the cheapest ATV costs five times as much ...
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (01-04-2018), dublinbluray108 (01-04-2018), flyry (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:55 AM   #6129
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMan View Post
I have a Sony UHD and my entire digital collection through Vudu. However, apps such as PS Vue are mucher slower on the TV compared to a Roku or Amazon Fire.
How are you connected, because I find my Hard Wired connection Rock Solid. All the apps are fantastic with no problems, Movies are remarkable with all of them coming up fast and furious.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 AM   #6130
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013

Quote:
I can’t believe Roku is the most popular streaming platform. I don’t know anyone personally, who uses it.

Roku>>>>>>*
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:03 AM   #6131
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
Quote:
I was backing up Blu-rays and DVD's Centuries ago, but I think most Apple people are not that technical and just started doing this because they are not confident in Digital HD. UV has so many Providers that your Collection is backed up on many Servers, while Apple basically only has one. I think the Apple Ecosystem is very fragile, and is on the verge of crumbling all apart!
What are you basing this on?
Looks like you missed this. So I'm just going to leave this right here for you to answer alchav21
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:20 AM   #6132
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
I was backing up Blu-rays and DVD's Centuries ago, but I think most Apple people are not that technical and just started doing this because they are not confident in Digital HD. UV has so many Providers that your Collection is backed up on many Servers, while Apple basically only has one. I think the Apple Ecosystem is very fragile, and is on the verge of crumbling all apart!
Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
What are you basing this on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Looks like you missed this. So I'm just going to leave this right here for you to answer alchav21
So what is there to answer, Apple has so many problems their customers just keep getting deeper and deeper into trouble. Everyday they are in the news, from Power to New Phones you can't escape the end of their Ecosystem. I have never followed their Clone Philosophy, and now my Movie Collection is free and has no end to it's usefulness! The Evil Empire will not Prevail......May The Force Be With You!

Last edited by alchav21; 01-04-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:41 AM   #6133

Aug 2016
Korova Milk Bar

Quote:

I have a 5 Roku household.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:46 AM   #6134
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
I can’t believe Roku is the most popular streaming platform. I don’t know anyone personally, who uses it.

I have a Roku Ultra 4K device, my Daughter has a Roku Ultra 4K device and I have 2 TCL Roku Ultra 4K TV's (1 currently, buying another in about a month )

you don't know me personally, but, now you do know of me!

oh and I do own a shitload of UHD movies, so, I love and use both for different reasons and at different times!
55" Sony SXRD & TCL 55P605 4K
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #6135
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Quote:
So what is there to answer, Apple has so many problems their customers just keep getting deeper and deeper into trouble. Everyday they are in the news, and Power to New Phones you can't escape the end of their Ecosystem. I have never followed their Clone Philosophy, and now my Movie Collection is free and has no end to it's usefulness! The Evil Empire will not Prevail......May The Force Be With You!
So basically you've gotten nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipnet View Post
I have a 5 Roku household.

Serious question whipnet, what is different with Roku compared to a BD player, gaming console or Smart TV? My family and I have only used these methods to stream and I'm wondering what the benefit is to them? I've got a friend telling me to go Kodi, but I'm kind of eh
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
Old 01-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #6136

Aug 2016
Korova Milk Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
So basically you've gotten nothing

Serious question whipnet, what is different with Roku compared to a BD player, gaming console or Smart TV? My family and I have only used these methods to stream and I'm wondering what the benefit is to them? I've got a friend telling me to go Kodi, but I'm kind of eh
If you're talking about comparing the apps that come on these devices, Roku's are superior by far. As far as BD players and game consoles, the apps are on those are like light versions.

Roku is much faster and I can control it with my laptop, smart phone or 'point anywhere' remote. I can also plug headphones into the remote if others are in the room. I can also take my sticks with me so I can have my collection and services anywhere I go that has a TV and wi-fi. Very portable.

Thanks given by:
bubba111 (01-04-2018), flyry (01-04-2018), huskerbear (01-05-2018), solarrdadd (01-04-2018), The_Donster (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #6137
Expert Member

Oct 2016

I've used a Roku, XBOX One, and Fire TV, and Sony UHD TV all in the last year with streaming....

FireTV worked great for the apps it had. It h However, the list of big apps was incomplete which means it could never be a one box solution for most consumers.

Sony UHD TV. I've never been impressed with streaming on television devices. The user interface is cluttered. Some of the apps worked very slow with noticeable delays.

XBOX One is a very powerful machine so of course the apps worked very well. My biggest problem is that I use PS Vue and XBOX does not have that app. I didn't like having to change devices when I was trying to stream different content. If I used Hulu TV or Sling TV, I would probably still be using the XBOX One.

Roku is not the most fancy box but it does everything very well. It's app selection is the best of any device. The user interface is so simple with no clutter which is refreshing compared to the other devices mentioned. When new apps are released, the Roku is usually within the first 2 or 3 devices to get the app. It is easy to see why it is the most popular box out there.

I have never used the AppleTV. If you only play in the Apple Universe, I have heard it is great. However, I refuse to put any of my content in the Apple Universe because it is so restrictive.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #6138
Special Member

Aug 2013
TX

Yep. 6 Roku's in our house. 3 of the 4 people with me at work have at least one. Roku's are extremely user friendly and available just about everywhere. I have tired other streamers (TV, BluRay Player, 360, PS3, PS4, ChromeCast, Fire TV, Apple TV....Boxee) and for us, Roku is easily the best.

Back to the survey....I don't think those 5 options were any good for the question. Everyone will always want more content.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (01-04-2018), flyry (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #6139
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

I’ve used my Samsung smart TV apps, PS3, XBox One S, Amazon Fire stick, Roku 4, Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K.

They all have their advantages, but I enjoy the Apple TV the most overall. The interface is the cleanest/smoothest. It finally has all the apps I use, now that they added Amazon Prime Video. Sure, it costs more than a Roku, but it’s worth it IMO.

Plus, if you like special features as much as I do, iTunes is hands down the best place to access extras. They sometimes have more extras than even the Blu-rays. Not even VUDU puts that much effort into special features. Amazon practically ignores extras.

Amazon also hardly has any movies in 4K. VUDU has a good amount, but iTunes has a lot more in 4K than VUDU. VUDU has Disney in 4K, but that’s about it in their favor. It’s also too bad VUDU could never work it out with the studios to upgrade HDX copies to UHD for free, but I guess that was too complicated. VUDU instead got to bring 4K out well before iTunes, but iTunes did it better.

I guess Apple seems restrictive to those who don’t use iPhones. Good thing I will continue using the iPhone for the foreseeable future, so I don’t have to miss out on what the Apple TV/iTunes has to offer.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #6140

Nov 2012

We have a Roku Premiere+, Apple TV (4th Gen), and Chromecast hooked up to our TV. I've set everything up so that, where possible, apps are both on the Roku and the Apple. Based on sheer usability, everyone in our family has shown a clear preference for the Roku and its user interface and remote. I personally find the Apple remote (4th Gen) to be much more error prone than the Roku remote and a generally unpleasant experience.

I use both VUDU and iTunes, but watch in Vudu given the choice. We don't really care about 4K or anything more than stereo sound. Nor do we typically watch extras (maybe a handful of times a year), so perhaps our viewing habits also influence our preferences.

We also have a Fire Stick that we take on vacations, which we find to be invaluable for the kids.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies