Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08
 
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Blu-ray)
$19.04
9 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Jurassic World (Blu-ray)
$7.88
8 hrs ago
Nightwing / Shadow of the Hawk (Blu-ray)
$8.79
 
The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.85
 
Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93
 
Psycho Biddy Double Feature: Strait-Jacket / Berserk! (Blu-ray)
$8.39
8 hrs ago
Shrek 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #6081
Margot Robbie Fan Margot Robbie Fan is offline
Active Member
 
Margot Robbie Fan's Avatar
 
Jun 2016
United Kingdom
35
3
Default

What's all this I see around the net about folks downloading copies of their iTunes movies and backing them up? Amazon or Google don't offer this option and the people who buy from them aren't complaining, at least not on forums like this. So why do people who use iTunes worry so much. I get the idea of having a backup but it's not like blu-ray enthusiasts back up all their discs in case they stop working one day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:46 AM   #6082
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Power Member
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot Robbie Fan View Post
What's all this I see around the net about folks downloading copies of their iTunes movies and backing them up? Amazon or Google don't offer this option and the people who buy from them aren't complaining, at least not on forums like this. So why do people who use iTunes worry so much. I get the idea of having a backup but it's not like blu-ray enthusiasts back up all their discs in case they stop working one day.
I was backing up Blu-rays and DVD's Centuries ago, but I think most Apple people are not that technical and just started doing this because they are not confident in Digital HD. UV has so many Providers that your Collection is backed up on many Servers, while Apple basically only has one. I think the Apple Ecosystem is very fragile, and is on the verge of crumbling all apart!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:54 AM   #6083
master gandhi master gandhi is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
master gandhi's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
United States
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I was backing up Blu-rays and DVD's Centuries ago, but I think most Apple people are not that technical and just started doing this because they are not confident in Digital HD. UV has so many Providers that your Collection is backed up on many Servers, while Apple basically only has one. I think the Apple Ecosystem is very fragile, and is on the verge of crumbling all apart!
What are you basing this on?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #6084
Zu Nim Zu Nim is offline
Special Member
 
Zu Nim's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
-
-
184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
UV has so many Providers that your Collection is backed up on many Servers, while Apple basically only has one.
UV has many providers where anyone can view their entire collection:
  • CinemaNow
  • FandangoNow
  • Flixster
  • Kaleidescape (only rich customers)
  • Paramount (only Paramount titles)
  • Sony ULTRA (only Sony titles)
  • Target Ticket
  • Universal
  • Verizon FiOS (only FiOS customers)
  • Vudu
  • WB Movies All Access (a couple dozen Warner titles)
What a fractured, failed mess. UV is on a glide path to history. Apple will unquestionably outlast UV at this point. Even if that wasn't the case, a lot of my iTunes and Vudu movies are now at Movies Anywhere and now exist at four providers - probably soon to be more.

Last edited by Zu Nim; 12-29-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Thanks cmleblanc!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (12-29-2017), cmleblanc (12-29-2017), Doomsday Clock (12-29-2017), dublinbluray108 (12-29-2017), Dunk the Lunk (12-29-2017), flyry (12-29-2017), twobelowpar (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #6085
talkingpictures talkingpictures is offline
Active Member
 
talkingpictures's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I was backing up Blu-rays and DVD's Centuries ago, but I think most Apple people are not that technical and just started doing this because they are not confident in Digital HD. UV has so many Providers that your Collection is backed up on many Servers, while Apple basically only has one. I think the Apple Ecosystem is very fragile, and is on the verge of crumbling all apart!
iTunes will be around at least for the next 10 years (if not longer), that's longer than most media formats have lasted!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dunk the Lunk (12-29-2017), The_Donster (01-03-2018), Zu Nim (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #6086
cmleblanc cmleblanc is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2009
-
-
-
-
-
242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
UV has many providers where anyone can view their entire collection:
  • CinemaNow
  • FandangoNow
  • Flixster
  • Kaleidescape (only rich customers)
  • Paramount (only Paramount titles)
  • Sony ULTRA (only Sony titles)
  • Universal
  • Verizon FiOS (only FiOS customers)
  • Vudu
  • WB Movies All Access (a couple dozen Warner titles)
What a fractured, failed mess. UV is on a glide path to history. Apple will unquestionably outlast UV at this point. Even if that wasn't the case, a lot of my iTunes and Vudu movies are now at Movies Anywhere and now exist at four providers - probably soon to be more.
You forgot TargetTicket
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (01-03-2018), Zu Nim (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #6087
Dunk the Lunk Dunk the Lunk is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2014
UK
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
UV has many providers where anyone can view their entire collection:
Updated for the UK. I imagine most of the rest of the world looks similar.
  • Vudu
  • CinemaNow
  • TalkTalk
  • FandangoNow
  • Flixster
  • Kaleidescape (only rich customers)
  • Paramount (only Paramount titles)
  • Sony ULTRA (only Sony titles)
  • Universal
  • Verizon FiOS (only FiOS customers)
  • WB Movies All Access (a couple dozen Warner titles)

I donít actually know if the studio websites work in the UK but I doubt it. Im glad Iíve only ever used iTunes for purchases. Hopefully when Flixster closes theyíll allow UV redemptions to transfer across to iTunes like MoviesAnywhere (but I doubt it).
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
talkingpictures (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #6088
Cutter_ Cutter_ is offline
Senior Member
 
Cutter_'s Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Florida
739
56
107
367
110
17
Default

I'd like doing both. For the stuff I collect, I buy physical. For stuff where I just want to watch the movie, I buy digital. My collection is about 50% physical, and about 50% digital. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

An example of something I want to collect, is next week's release The Breakfast Club, by Criterion. There are so many extras that will be exclusive only to Criterion that I want to see, that will never be on digital (unless you subscribe to the Criterion channel). So, this will go into my physical collection as something I will collect. Whereas, something like Thor: Ragnarok, I'll buy the digital copy, and it will have enough extras to keep me happy. And, it'll be cheaper than the physical copy (new releases are usually about $5 cheaper than their physical counterparts).

Also, @talkingpictures (I think?) mentioned a couple of pages back that not all releases are on digital yet. So, in these cases, the only option is physical. And the same goes in the other direction. There are HD copies of movies on digital that never got a blu-ray release. So, I buy the digital copy.

For me it's a harmonious relationship, they both serve me well, and I expect it to continue that way for the foreseeable future.
Would love on Blu-ray:
Something Wicked this Way Comes, After Hours, Drugstore Cowboy, Maximum Overdrive, Bringing Out the Dead, The Dead Zone, Mr. Rice's Secret, Christiane F.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DCW (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #6089
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
UV has so many Providers that your Collection is backed up on many Servers, while Apple basically only has one.
Yep, that server is in Tim Cook's office and personally administrated by him.
Quote:
I think the Apple Ecosystem is very fragile, and is on the verge of crumbling all apart!
Absolutely. Just look at their horrible financial reports.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #6090
talkingpictures talkingpictures is offline
Active Member
 
talkingpictures's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter_ View Post
I'd like doing both. For the stuff I collect, I buy physical. For stuff where I just want to watch the movie, I buy digital. My collection is about 50% physical, and about 50% digital. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

An example of something I want to collect, is next week's release The Breakfast Club, by Criterion. There are so many extras that will be exclusive only to Criterion that I want to see, that will never be on digital (unless you subscribe to the Criterion channel). So, this will go into my physical collection as something I will collect. Whereas, something like Thor: Ragnarok, I'll buy the digital copy, and it will have enough extras to keep me happy. And, it'll be cheaper than the physical copy (new releases are usually about $5 cheaper than their physical counterparts).

Also, @talkingpictures (I think?) mentioned a couple of pages back that not all releases are on digital yet. So, in these cases, the only option is physical. And the same goes in the other direction. There are HD copies of movies on digital that never got a blu-ray release. So, I buy the digital copy.

For me it's a harmonious relationship, they both serve me well, and I expect it to continue that way for the foreseeable future.
I'd love to be able to do that. But I'm very OCD and like to have all things together. For instance I'd either want all my movies displayed together on blu-ray or together on iTunes, that's why I can't mix and match digital providers either like 50% Amazon 50% iTunes because I'd like all the titles displayed alphabetically next to one another. Alas there will have to be a middle ground as even with blu-ray people are still collecting titles on DVD that don't have a BD release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #6091
Cutter_ Cutter_ is offline
Senior Member
 
Cutter_'s Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Florida
739
56
107
367
110
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingpictures View Post
I'd love to be able to do that. But I'm very OCD and like to have all things together. For instance I'd either want all my movies displayed together on blu-ray or together on iTunes, that's why I can't mix and match digital providers either like 50% Amazon 50% iTunes because I'd like all the titles displayed alphabetically next to one another. Alas there will have to be a middle ground as even with blu-ray people are still collecting titles on DVD that don't have a BD release.
Well, it's going to be tough on you then. Like you and I both mentioned. You can't get everything you want, if you only do one format.

If you want to choose, though. I'd go digital and apple. That seems a safe bet.
Would love on Blu-ray:
Something Wicked this Way Comes, After Hours, Drugstore Cowboy, Maximum Overdrive, Bringing Out the Dead, The Dead Zone, Mr. Rice's Secret, Christiane F.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #6092
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
Even if that wasn't the case, a lot of my iTunes and Vudu movies are now at Movies Anywhere and now exist at four providers - probably soon to be more.
The Movies Anywhere providers include 3 of the 4 largest companies in the world (by market cap). I think if they all go under we have bigger problems than our movie collections.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (12-29-2017), The_Donster (01-03-2018), Zu Nim (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #6093
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter_ View Post
I'd like doing both.
Same here. I don't see why it has to be either or. The majority of my purchases are digital these days, but I still buy discs of certain titles that are classics, depend heavily on the visuals, or have substantial exclusive bonus material. 3D is also still a draw for me and only available on disc for new titles. The next disc I'll buy will probably be Blade Runner 2049 3D.
Quote:
An example of something I want to collect, is next week's release The Breakfast Club, by Criterion. There are so many extras that will be exclusive only to Criterion that I want to see, that will never be on digital (unless you subscribe to the Criterion channel).
Yeah, it's a shame that Criterion don't include their extras on their iTunes releases. Arrow Video releases, on the other hand, have all the extras that also come with their discs. I bought their Donnie Darko release on iTunes for $5 a few days ago, which includes hours of extras. A steal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #6094
TROLLY TROLLY is offline
Active Member
 
TROLLY's Avatar
 
Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingpictures View Post
I'd love to be able to do that. But I'm very OCD and like to have all things together. For instance I'd either want all my movies displayed together on blu-ray or together on iTunes, that's why I can't mix and match digital providers either like 50% Amazon 50% iTunes because I'd like all the titles displayed alphabetically next to one another. Alas there will have to be a middle ground as even with blu-ray people are still collecting titles on DVD that don't have a BD release.

I know what you mean. If every single movie Iíve ever liked and wanted to own and was available on iTunes, Iíd be happy.

Sadly, that doesnít happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #6095
talkingpictures talkingpictures is offline
Active Member
 
talkingpictures's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk the Lunk View Post
Updated for the UK. I imagine most of the rest of the world looks similar.
  • Vudu
  • CinemaNow
  • TalkTalk
  • FandangoNow
  • Flixster
  • Kaleidescape (only rich customers)
  • Paramount (only Paramount titles)
  • Sony ULTRA (only Sony titles)
  • Universal
  • Verizon FiOS (only FiOS customers)
  • WB Movies All Access (a couple dozen Warner titles)

I donít actually know if the studio websites work in the UK but I doubt it. Im glad Iíve only ever used iTunes for purchases. Hopefully when Flixster closes theyíll allow UV redemptions to transfer across to iTunes like MoviesAnywhere (but I doubt it).
Don't forget Sainsbury Entertainment and Wuaki TV which has now dropped UV and rebranded as Rakuten, which imo has a pretty good interface but it'd be silly buying your movies from them as they're more likely to go under than the majors.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #6096
Cutter_ Cutter_ is offline
Senior Member
 
Cutter_'s Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Florida
739
56
107
367
110
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Yeah, it's a shame that Criterion don't include their extras on their iTunes releases. Arrow Video releases, on the other hand, have all the extras that also come with their discs. I bought their Donnie Darko release on iTunes for $5 a few days ago, which includes hours of extras. A steal.
Great deal I have the physical release. Arrow did a great job with Donnie Darko.

btw, Criterion has their digital subscription. So, they are pushing their own digital service. That would be my guess why you won't see their extras on iTunes. I hear it's good, but I don't want to pay for another subscription.
Would love on Blu-ray:
Something Wicked this Way Comes, After Hours, Drugstore Cowboy, Maximum Overdrive, Bringing Out the Dead, The Dead Zone, Mr. Rice's Secret, Christiane F.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #6097
talkingpictures talkingpictures is offline
Active Member
 
talkingpictures's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Same here. I don't see why it has to be either or. The majority of my purchases are digital these days, but I still buy discs of certain titles that are classics, depend heavily on the visuals, or have substantial exclusive bonus material. 3D is also still a draw for me and only available on disc for new titles. The next disc I'll buy will probably be Blade Runner 2049 3D.
Yeah, it's a shame that Criterion don't include their extras on their iTunes releases. Arrow Video releases, on the other hand, have all the extras that also come with their discs. I bought their Donnie Darko release on iTunes for $5 a few days ago, which includes hours of extras. A steal.
Arrow do have some good sales on iTunes. However I've noticed the vast majority of their movies are deliberately sabotaged on iTunes. Most Italian titles have an option of both the Italian track and the English audio track, however on iTunes, Arrow pick for you. So if you prefer the Italian track on What Have You Done to Solange? then too bad because they only offer the English without subs also IIRC. Arrow obviously have a vested interest in people buying their physical releases and I can do without the special features but when they do that with their Italian titles it's not good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #6098
dublinbluray108 dublinbluray108 is online now
Senior Member
 
Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland
185
79
47
1
Default

Nearly half of respondents in this survey from IBM Cloud Video say that they can't get recommendations to watch something else while using video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu & HBO Go.

Quote:
Where's the streaming video you really want to see? Good question

Nearly half of streaming-video viewers say services like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu don't recommend what they want to watch, according to a new study.

Even for streaming video, it's true what they say: You can't always get what you want.

The top complaint consumers have about streaming-video services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hulu is lack of content, according to a survey by IBM Cloud Video, which powers streaming for online video providers. Nearly half of those users say video-streaming services rarely or never recommend something they want to watch, the survey says.




https://www.cnet.com/news/streaming-...me-video-hulu/

I suppose that cannot be helped with streaming services having temporary deals in place from the studios for people to watch stuff on their services for a limited period of time. This is not a problem with having original content from a service; but it is a problem for those who like to watch third party content to make their subscription more worthwhile.

People who are into enjoying both streaming and physical may be more undecided with this approach.

And people are completely into physical media all the time; they may be fine in not having to worry about watching their stuff at any time without any worries of accessing back up servers from a video service provider.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TROLLY (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #6099
TROLLY TROLLY is offline
Active Member
 
TROLLY's Avatar
 
Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
Nearly half of respondents in this survey from IBM Cloud Video say that they can't get recommendations to watch something else while using video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu & HBO Go.















https://www.cnet.com/news/streaming-...me-video-hulu/



I suppose that cannot be helped with streaming services having temporary deals in place from the studios for people to watch stuff on their services for a limited period of time. This is not a problem with having original content from a service; but it is a problem for those who like to watch third party content to make their subscription more worthwhile.



People who are into enjoying both streaming and physical may be more undecided with this approach.



And people are completely into physical media all the time; they may be fine in not having to worry about watching their stuff at any time without any worries of accessing back up servers from a video service provider.


I canít believe Roku is the most popular streaming platform. I donít know anyone personally, who uses it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #6100
WestMan WestMan is offline
Special Member
 
Oct 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLY View Post
I canít believe Roku is the most popular streaming platform. I donít know anyone personally, who uses it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everybody in my family has one. It's the best box because it has the most apps. Apple, Amazon, and Google play games with how their apps or services are available on other platforms. Roku has been neutral for years and has benefited because of it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (01-04-2018), flyry (01-04-2018), huskerbear (01-04-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:06 PM.